Former NBA #1 pick Joe Smith's journey from $61M to $157k in debt

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
these nikkas getting supermaxes never going broke will be damn near impossible especially if they already had a big contract and endorsement money before the supermax
Between taxes, relatives, agents, lawyers, extravagant lifestyles and a divorce/child support case I’d argue these supermax guys are even more at risk due to a false sense of security.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Respect to ARod for doing this.

It’s easy to blame Joe Smith but none of us know what was going on in his life and in his head. We don’t know the problems he had to face.

A lot of money seems like a lot but when you feel like you have no limits it’s easy to spend a lot on trips, luxury clothes, novel experiences, dinners/clubs etc. I’ve done it too. When you grow up poor and get that first taste of real money it’s tempting but also, you don’t know how to manage the money—it’s a learning curve. And it’s not easy to trust people to manage money for you cuz EVERYONE has their eyes on it, even those professional financial advisors who want you to invest your money with them...for their own gain. Don’t even get me started on family and friends wanting you to help finance their dream ideas and new careers paths as well as any family functions you attend. Once people think or know you have money, it’s crazy how they treat you. You become a big ass money bag to folks.

I wish he had more knowledge, better habits and been smarter, but I can also see how situations like this can arise.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Even the wackest nba player can make a good living selling basketball camps to those spoiled rich little white kids in the suburbs. Their parents have no problem putting down $100/session type of guap so their kid can "learn" from a former professional, gain some self-confidence, and get them the fukk out of the house lol. A lot of ex-NBAers that were scrubs are eating of that in the affluent Dallas suburbs.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Sounds like a personal problem.

With whatever one gets after taxes, etc from $61 million, I would own so much land in the middle of nowhere and living off interest from savings, while investing in the market and pumping $ in start ups.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
What's wild is, dude was still playing/getting paid for years after he was washed. Averaging 8-9ppg and still playing for several yrs.

You're basically getting free money at that point which means save, save save.