Future “as a artist” > Drake, J.Cole & Kendrick Lamar

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Not going to hate on Future cause he's original and very influential, but holy shyt is he overrated on The Coli

Basically has 2-3 song concepts that he's rotated through for the last ten years

I think deep down folks like that he's got a cool aesthetic, HOH and caters to a certain lifestyle that is very romanticized.

He asks very little of you as a listener, and there will always be an appeal for that, but it never puts you in the "one of the greats" conversation

Edit: I see Awesome Wells said the same thing 2 pages back lol

Truth. This is exactly what it is.

I've been f*cking with dude's music since day one, but I never lied to myself and pretended he was diverse in what he brings to the table, lol. Like you said, people like the vibe and aesthetic. Which is cool, but to act like he's throwing out mad different sounds and palettes like Kendrick has or even Kanye, is just delusional. With Future, it's lifestyle sh*t. Which again, like you said, is crazily romanticized. And I actually like a lot of his music, but he's crazily overrated on here. Probably because dudes are inspired by the fantasy and want to live through the records.

And I'm good with that, but at the end of the day, I know he isn't saying anything I need to hit rewind for, like I'm listening to some classic G Rap or Big L, lol. He's mad influential because a lot of lesser artists have been stealing his style since he dropped, but I don’t ever see him on any greats lists or all-time top joints either. He's come up with a formula and he sticks with it, just like his cousin Rico Wade said when asked why they don’t work together. He said Future likes to stay in the same pocket he's in and he doesn't want to meddle with that.

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
Threads like this show how out of wack the booth is. None of the "big 3" got songs like this.

NONE

That kills the argument of "content" as well. Future is deep them other nikkas music shallow as hell. Only one that comes close to the depth of Futures music is Kendrick.

Like seriously what Drake or Cole songs ya putting up against the shyt I just posted. Hotline Bling? Let Nas down? fukk outta here :mjlol: :camby:

Funny part is im going light too. Future's discography got waaaay more classics.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Threads like this show how out of wack the booth is. None of the "big 3" got songs like this.

NONE

That kills the argument of "content" as well. Future is deep them other nikkas music shallow as hell. Only one that comes close to the depth of Futures music is Kendrick.

Like seriously what Drake or Cole songs ya putting up against the shyt I just posted. Hotline Bling? Let Nas down? fukk outta here :mjlol: :camby:

Funny part is im going light too. Future's discography got waaaay more classics.

The only real point made in this whole post is how shallow the music of the "Big 3" is. Everything else is pretty much pointless, because stans of the "Big 3" could pull up songs to counter these.

Last edited:

EASTATLJERU

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea its time to have the discussion. :yeshrug:

You wanna talk about Cole & Kendrick but Future is the most consistent rapper of this generation not named Drake (even tho Future makes the better music imo). We talking bout over 10 years going thru different eras rather it was Rich Homie Quan, Young Thug, Lil Baby, Rylo Rodriguez, etc. He lasted (no Diddy)

Not speaking as a lyricist, but ALL around artist yes. He makes the best music out the bunch on some Kanye type shyt. Also he the most influential out the big 3

BeastMode, Monster, 56 Nights, DS2, EVOL, INLY, & now We Don’t Trust You. All hits now we in the 2020s (at 40 YEARS OLD) and he ain’t slowing down :wow:

Give the man his flowers he a hip hop goat and should get the same respect as the others
Facts on facts
Way better than them

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Future has a ton of songs that make you feel something, he doesn't just make "the same 3 songs over and over"

Throw away can make you go through a wide range of emotion from getting over a heartbreak with turning up, then in the 2nd half realizing that wasn't what made you fulfilled and you still might be hurt but you're moving on.

DS2 as a whole was it's own movement as a celebration and culmination of Future's whole mixtape run in 2015 starting with Monster

Fed Did a Sweep already mentioned in here but I'll mention it again

I'm not gonna lie and say he doesn't have a lot of songs about turning up but to say he's completely devoid of substance isn't true either. I enjoy all the artists mentioned so to each his own but yeah.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Future is definitely a legend and top 5 millenial rapper no matter how you look at it. Influential as hell and sold like crazy, outlasted guys like Wiz Khalifa, Big Sean, Young Thug and ASAP Rocky who also saw massive success but not Big 3 level.
This big 3 frame is nonsense - Kanye is still here back to Future.

As an artist he’s not better than Thug and ASAP Rocky - he just more breadth and consistency hit wise.

Thug is more creative with melodies
ASAP is more creative in experimentation/fashion

He’s not better at crafting albums than Kendrick and Drake.

His introspection isn’t Cole level but he shouldn’t be compared to them at all.

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
I gotta put him over K.Dot as a artist. Section 88, GKMC, & TPAB were impactful as a RAPPER. Them shyts was 10 years ago. 2 outta 3 are certified classics but based on bodies of work it ain’t even close. He don’t drop enough music

March Madness, My Savages, Codeine Crazy are more impactful to the culture than anything K.Dot put out :yeshrug:
Of course Future’s music is more impactful to the culture. The nikka is literally a walking stereotype lol

Nobody want to hear that save the hood music

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina

As an artist he’s not better than Thug and ASAP Rocky - he just more breadth and consistency hit wise.

Asap shouldn't be put in the same sentence as Thug or Future.

Jasonmask

Superstar
Daps
I feel like this has always been the case. Only like metrosexuals and homosexuals take drake serious. Like out of all the songs future and drake have future always had the better part of the song. Drakes cosplays as a real nikka while future was actually in the trenches and you hear the difference everytime they collab

Ryda52

All Star
Daps
Half of Take Care is songs Drake strong armed from The Weeknd
Why the fukk does this keep getting swept under the rug like it was nothing. There’s a reason Weeknd refused to sign with Drake, he, like Kodak, saw Drake’s game a mile away. He’s the only “top-tier” rapper who constantly gets a pass for taking other peoples’ whole songs.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Why the fukk does this keep getting swept under the rug like it was nothing. There’s a reason Weeknd refused to sign with Drake, he, like Kodak, saw Drake’s game a mile away. He’s the only “top-tier” rapper who constantly gets a pass for taking other peoples’ whole songs.
Like the idiot drake stans who say future needed drake on WATTBA. Anyone with ears could hear 80% of that was future songs, drake needed future’s credibility badly. nikkas was begging for a drake-less version

Last edited:

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps

I fukk with some of Thug stuff nobody knows what the fukk he be saying. He be making up words.

Ryda52

All Star
Daps
Like the idiot drake stans who say future needed drake on WATTBA. Anyone with ears could hear 80% of that was future songs, drake needed future’s credibility badly. Nights was begging for a drake-less version
:sas1:Great minds think alike

Flex pointed this out years ago and sandal wearing ass nikkas called him a hater. Future got hip to his game, so now 21 is his new street sponsor.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Of course Future’s music is more impactful to the culture. The nikka is literally a walking stereotype lol

Nobody want to hear that save the hood music

The culture debate is something for KRS One fans - if you’re talking drug culture then Wayne is far more impactful than Future.

Future is however NOT more impactful than Drake or Kendrick.

If it’s about the streets and club music then Gucci is more impactful in ATL.

He’s a legend don’t get me wrong though