"Girls Trip" (Official Thread)

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Tried to find something to like in the trailer and failed.

Will still end up seeing it. Hopefully my man Larenz Tate gets to smash Regina's character :ehh:

I just looked it up and this shyt has a $28 million dollar budget:huhldup:

The Best Man Holiday had a much bigger cast, and was the sequel to a cult classic and that only had a $17 million dollar budget. And they are releasing this shyt in July when Spiderman, Planet of the Apes, the Christopher Nolan movie, and the Idris Elba Dark Tower movie will be out:bryan:

Universal set this up to flop...why wouldn't they release it in February or March? I guess they're banking on women wanting something different than blockbusters in the summer.

King Poetic

Can You Spot Me A 20?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
On The Pacific
Im surprised morris chestnut not in it..

This movie doesn't look like a 28 million dollar budget type...

Call the wayans who's budgets be like 5 million with the same shyt this movie has and even more and they end up eating when their movies do only 20 million

But this a movie with 4 SINGLE sisters, so it probably gross 50 million

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
:snoop:go from hidden figures to this brehs

There's room for both. We should have the right to make wack comedies like everybody else does.

And we also have the right to clown it when the trailer drops lol

I just wanna see some good stories, instead of "The Black Version Of..." or "The Biopic Of..." movies which is mostly what we get.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
There's room for both. We should have the right to make wack comedies like everybody else does.

And we also have the right to clown it when the trailer drops lol

I just wanna see some good stories, instead of "The Black Version Of..." or "The Biopic Of..." movies which is mostly what we get.

I agree with this, some in between would be great instead of the forced stuff.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I agree with this, some in between would be great instead of the forced stuff.

Yeah. It's a sticky situation though because I honestly believe there's a more subtle divide that's harder to bridge.

I know there are young black people with great ideas, but no access or budget, and the OGs (like Jada, Queen etc.) have the access and the budget, but no ideas, so we get a Black Bridesmaids instead of something great with a $28 million budget.

Back in the 90s when everyone was young and hungry (cast, directors, writers) and around the same age, we got stuff like Juice, Menace, Set it Off etc. Not all classics, but they weren't a knock-off of a white idea 3-5 years too late. The shyt felt right on time.

Nothing we do feels timely. It's either set in the past based on a real event, or it's a concept/trope that feels a few years out of touch.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
I saw this being filmed on Bourbon st.

there's a scene where someone's flying across from one balcony to the other over top of Bourbon

Looked to be a fight scene or something :yeshrug:

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Don't screenwriters get like 5% of the budget for writing. so that's like $140,000 for this shyt. I'm in the wrong profession.

5% of 28 million is 1.4 million. Usually the number is 2% of the budget, although big names can negotiate higher fees of course.