GOAT Rapper Prodigy Releases New Album of Old Collaborations Through BitTorrent Records

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
P got an article in Forbes about this :ohhh:
Prodigy And BitTorrent Combine Forces For 'R.I.P.'

MAR 11, 2016 @ 01:28 PM1,173 VIEWS
Prodigy And BitTorrent Combine Forces For 'R.I.P.'

Rapper Albert “Prodigy” Johnson, best known for his work with the group Mobb Deep, has always set trends. Since he was a teenager in the early 1990s, his powerful voice and concise, evocative lyrics have sparked legions of imitators, in his native New York and across the globe.

So it’s no wonder that he’s still setting trends, but this time they are in technology. To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Mobb Deep’s classic album Hell On Earth and the group’s accompanying tour, Prodigy has teamed up with BitTorrent to release three albums’ worth of songs, 45 in total, as BitTorrent Bundles under the name The R.I.P. Series. The collections will be released as free downloadable bundles on BitTorrent and will also contain videos and other bonus material. The first volume is being released at noon on Friday and, like the others, contains unreleased or hard-to-find collaborations between Prodigy and a whole scope of artists, from the similarly gruff and streetwise Roc Marciano to the late Chinx Drugz to Hip-Hop Cash King Mac Miller to actor-turned-rapper Donald “Childish Gambino” Glover.

You can download R.I.P. 1 here and find out more about the project here. I called up Prodigy to talk about Hell On Earth, R.I.P., and his early days in Queens.

Mobb-Deep_By-Jamil-GS_MG_6020-Version-2-1200x800.jpg

Photo of Prodigy by Jamil GS.

S: The other two volumes will be along those lines as well?

P: Yeah, it’s three volumes of features. Then I’ve got a couple bonus songs on there, unreleased songs.

tyrannycover-1200x1200.jpg

The cover art for “Tyranny,” one of the bonus songs on ‘R.I.P. 1.’

S: You have a couple songs on the first volume that you did with Chinx Drugz, who sadly passed away last May. What were they recorded for?

P: Those were songs that we had made just hanging out in the studio. We just did it, because Chinx was the homie. He was real cool with my people from Far Rockaway, so we linked up. That was one of those songs that might have flew under the radar, because it really didn’t come out on anything. It was just a song that we did together and put it out on the Internet. So we’re like, let’s package it and put it on the album, so people can actually know about it and hear it.

S: You have three songs on there with one of my favorites, Roc Marciano. What was it like to work with him?

P: Roc is mad cool. He’s from Hempstead, Long Island, where I’m from, so it was only a matter of time before we did a song together. It was long overdue. I’ve known Roc for a while, because we were down with Loud Records[the label that released Mobb Deep's albums from 1995-2001] back in the 90s.

S: Who produced the songs?

P: It’s a whole bunch of different producers. There’s too many to even name. Some of them are Alchemist, Hav [the other half of Mobb Deep, Kejuan "Havoc" Muchita], and Harry Fraud.

S: This whole three-album project is to support the tour that’s coming up for the 20th anniversary of Hell On Earth. When you guys were making that record, did you have any idea that it would connect with people enough that they’d still be talking about it two decades later?

P: Nah, we never knew that. We was just making music that we loved for us, and luckily people embraced it. It’s definitely a blessing to be able to still rock out and do these tours and put out these projects, and people still feel it the same way and relate to it.

S: The other day I talked to a guy named Anton Pukshanky, who was an engineer at Power Play Studios in Queens in the 1990s. I think he even did a little work on [Mobb Deep's 1993 debut album] Juvenile Hell. He said that you used to hang out at Power Play at sessions that weren’t yours, with artists like Large Professor and Kool G. Rap. What are your memories of Power Play when you were getting started?

P: I just remember being there with a couple of the homies. I think I might have recorded one or two songs in there, too. But it was a dope studio. It was real laid out in there, right in the hood. I remember doing a song in there with Infamous Mobb back in the days.

S: What about the tour you have coming up? I know you have some special stuff planned for The Blue Note in New York City.

P: Yeah. We’re doing Live at the Blue Note, it’s going to be a live recorded album. So that’ll be pretty dope.

S: What else are you up to?

P: Right now, just writing a lot for the album, getting ready for this Hell On Earth anniversary, and writing books. There’s a bunch of different novels I’ve got coming out. That’s it, really. Just staying focused on those things.

S: I read something about a play you’re going to be involved in?

P: There’s a play by this lady named Cynthia von Buhler. The name of the play is The Illuminati Ball. It’s an interactive play. It’s pretty cool. It’s about secret societies and the government doing experiments on animals and different stuff like that. It’s kind of interesting.

S: Mobb Deep is Havoc and Prodigy. But when you were starting out, there was another Havoc and Prodeje, guys in [Los Angeles-based rap group] South Central Cartel. How did you guys get along with the other Havoc and Prodeje?

P: We never really got to hang out with them or anything. We met them one time real early at this convention called Jack the Rapper. We had a conversation with them about, how did they get the same name that we had? There was a bunch of confusion. But we know people who know them, and they’re cool people.

S: Anything else you want to tell people about what you have coming up?

P: Check out the BitTorrent thing that we’re doing for the R.I.P. series. It’s a free download. It’s got a bunch of other free things that come along with it. I’m sure that people will enjoy it. There’s a lot of songs that they never heard before in there.

Also look out for this prison cookbook I’ve got coming out [with author Kathy Iandoli]. It’s a bunch of recipes for stuff that we used to make locked up in jail. It’s simple stuff that we would make in the toaster oven and in the microwave. It’s an interesting book, and people should check that out. It’s called Commissary Kitchen.

Below is the audio and video for the song ”Tyranny” from Prodigy’s upcoming album ‘The Hegelian Dialectic.’ The song is available for exclusive download as part of ‘R.I.P. 1.’ Also included is the video for Prodigy’s collaboration with Rick Gonzalez, “The Realness.”