Gripes with modern cinema.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Is annoyed annoyed with modern films? They just don't do it for me anymore outside of older films or A24, which IMO actually takes risk in storytelling and newer writers and directors.

Everything else seems like it's just a sequel or a Marvel movie (which I'm a fan of in moderation). Let's not forget that Netflix brings out watered down "content" and lump a reality show with a C level horror film they churned out.

I know I sound like a movie snob but whatever. You probably wouldn't have films like Forrest Gump, Collateral, Lost in Translation films created by the major movie studios nowadays unless they were an indy film and picked up by A24.

Also - the average moviegoer WILL watch other stories outside of sequels and superhero films. The success of Barbie and Oppenheimer attest to that.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Also - the average moviegoer WILL watch other stories outside of sequels and superhero films. The success of Barbie and Oppenheimer attest to that.
A lot of people can't admit that the Hollywood cinema dikks they suck can't tell good stories anymore. :umad:

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Quite simply put, the old guard of Hollywood is diminishing, by death or retirement and the new writing talents aren't able to take up the mantle in terms of storytelling.

Trashy hacks are getting the keys to the kingdom and ruining it for studios and media in general...

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think the cinema is worse because the viewers are worse, and the writers are worse. We've bred a group of movie goers/viewers who aren't doing anything beyond consuming content, and these people don't give a fukk about art. They couldn't describe a human feeling they got from a film beyond "ok can't wait for the sequel/prequel."

There's also a constant push for films and television to adopt and regurgitate views/opinions of various social groups. I'd have no issue with this if the writing was halfway decent but instead it's constantly terrible. Clunky, blatantly forced, in-your-face and you can often tell which Tweets influenced the dialogue. Film being influenced by the times/social views is nothing new. Peep the cynicism and American disillusionment in 1970s cinema for instance. But compare that to today and you immediately sense an inability to write anything subtle, a refusal/inability to tackle controversial or opposing views, and nonstop child-like pandering. The audience wants simple shyt. And the audience is in a perpetual state of adolescence. We've gone from people debating the meaning of films to arguing over whether Spiderman would support [insert progressive political issue].

Daps
Reppin
NULL
We probably won't get another like him in our life time or ever. Even Chinese cinema got seriously :flabbynsick:
Facts...

Practical effects need to make a comeback in movies.

tumblr_nscbyjom0h1qc3ju8o4_540.gif

5bf120_8feb4f6c127e43b6a26fd4898902e0e8_mv2.gif

06c1b87849285a2a3120689d34ac6dc8.gif

c862cdf386ad72a90b32780fd4bf7a7a36832a66.gif

c9cddcdbc8483b1be6a3cd963d5ec1d6d6a92f7d.gifv

tmnt-turtle.gif

It blows my mind that makeup artists, puppeteers, costume designers, painters, and film editors were able to make effects this dope using zero CGI. These movies still look amazing today.

:wow:

Last edited:

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They need to cut the budgets of these movies by like 75%. The Creator bombed and only made 100M at the box office but because they didn't spend 400 fukking million on production and marketing, it's going to be one of their most "successful" blockbuster film this year. It also looks better than 99% of the blockbusters that came out this year for a quarter of the price.

As long they keep spending 500M+ they're gonna keep milking IPs because it's the only way they know how to guarantee that a bunch of people are going to show up. Cut the budgets and let directors cook up. Use the pre-production period to actually map the shyt out. If half your movie has to be reshot in post, you fukked up. Stop doing that.

The biggest issue is that movie making has been a mature artform for damn near 60 years. Alien was 40 years ago. Terminator 2 was 30 years ago. Peak Jackie Chan was 30 years ago. Even newer shyt like The Raid was 12 years ago. All the cultural touchstones are old as shyt at this point. Trying to find new and compelling ways to make movies is getting harder. Even the novelty of the MCU format is old hat at this point. Hollywood is in need of another 70s golden era of new Goats just dropping fire. The problem with that happening is that those old legends inform the current language of film so much now that the new guys are just riffing on the shyt those guys already did.

Last edited: