Growing up I thought blacks controlled Hip Hop and R&b music

Homey the clown

Homey don't play that
Daps
Reppin
Unknown
Growing up with music moguls such as Suge Knight, Sean "Diddy" Combs, J Prince, Master P, Russell Simmons, Bryan and Roland Williams, I assumed black people were the ones who controlled black music.It was not until I started visiting Thecoli that realize that it wasnt true.It frustrates me that with all these black multi millionaire's out here that we do not control a industry that we created.

Homey the clown

Homey don't play that
Daps
Reppin
Unknown
Welcome to America. Look at the nba. 90 percent of the league is black. The owners are white. HIp hop is no different.

So you telking me that white people were the ones running Death Row, Bad Boy, No Limit, Cash Money, Roc A Fella, and other black owned record labels.I know that those record companies had distribution deals but I always assumed they were mostly ran by black people.

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
So you telking me that white people were the ones running Death Row, Bad Boy, No Limit, Cash Money, Roc A Fella, and other black owned record labels.I know that those record companies had distribution deals but I always assumed they were mostly ran by black people.
The power is in distribution. That's the only job of the major labels such as Universal ect.. Yeah No Limit and Cash Money are independent labels but they don't have their own distribution. They didn't manufacture they own CDs and ship them to stores.

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah they were slaves of the record companies too. Master P had the best deal, profitting 85% off each album sold via the Priority Records distribution deal. But Universal, Priority, Atlantic etc were caking big time selling rap/r&b, black labelheads got their cheese as long as business went well, while artists got some crumbs selling millions and millions (Juvenile or DMX are prime examples in the late 90s)

BarackStar

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
detroit
funny thing is nikkas so stupid that they let these blatant vultures rap and make it now so the cacs who own the label realize they dont even need nikkas out in front no more thats why all these lil weirdo fakkits flooding thhe game in 10 years it will be one black rapper at a time everybody else will be cac

10:31

Superstar
Daps
Growing up with music moguls such as Suge Knight, Sean "Diddy" Combs, J Prince, Master P, Russell Simmons, Bryan and Roland Williams, I assumed black people were the ones who controlled black music.It was not until I started visiting Thecoli that realize that it wasnt true.It frustrates me that with all these black multi millionaire's out here that we do not control a industry that we created.

They were around the whole time. White folks have been involved with the culture and genre from its inception

What should worry you is the lack of J Princes, Master Ps, Puffy’s, Baby & Slims. Right now it’s a scarcity of future black executives.. at least you had those pioneers and we still have them now but as many have already noted above me, they all still needed distributors to sell their products.

@THE RETIRED SKJ

Last edited:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
As soon as them cats tried forming a distribution group we saw the real gangstas come out the woodwork. All or most of them got magically indicted.

Was it a distribution deal or a union? I believe it was a union and the rumor was that it was independent distribution.