Has Nick Saban Changed The Way Colleges Treat Head Football Coaches?

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Interesting topic on Mike & Mike this morning that came up in the context of LSU deciding to keep Les Miles.

The idea was brought up that - directly because of Nick Saban’s incredible MAINTENANCE of success at Alabama year after year – it has shortened the “shelf life” of the average college football head coach. The idea being, “if HE can do it down there, why can’t we find our own version of that guy?” So when a coach doesn’t win after about two years or so (give or take), he’s considered a failure….NEVERMIND that, at that time, he’s likely still playing with another coach’s players and hasn’t even had the time to implement his OWN recruits in his system yet (honestly, he may not even have had the time to implement HIS SYSTEM fully yet, at that point).

Personally? I think A LOT of these school THINK that their football head coaching jobs are “elite” when they really aren’t. We (Nebraska) experienced that. Texas, I think, went through that. Hell, USC went through it, too (though they are in a much better position prestige-wise than the two aforementioned schools). These schools be living off past glory, talmbout “what coach WOULDN’T want this job?”, not realizing that most coaches UNDERSTAND that their window of opportunity to win at a school where you are EXPECTED TO WIN is very short, so why leave where I’m at to go someplace where if I don’t win in two years they’ll fire me?

(Also, while I realize how unpopular Mike & Mike are on this forum, don’t come at me sideways for watching them when you dudes not only watch but LAUD that sorry racist Colin Cowherd
:camby: )

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I think any coach in the history of college football that goes INTO a job with a national title already on his belt...in that CONFERENCE... and subsequently wins the conference and ANOTHER national title...would get coach for life* status.

Regarding Les, they realized that he is better than the pool out there, I think it's as simple as that. And that he could simple fire coordinators and reload like other coaches with tenure do.

This shyt is nothing new and it ain't influenced by saban.

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Regarding Les, they realized that he is better than the pool out there....

That's what I believe....well, that and the fact that:

(1) they'd have to EAT a significant amount of his contract, and
(2) they realized that they weren't going to get who they WANTED

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
I know LSU almost fired the most successful coach they have ever had because of Sabans success.

And Georgia just fired a good coach as well.

Sabans got the SEC losing their minds.

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
I know LSU almost fired the most successful coach they have ever had because of Sabans success.

And Georgia just fired a good coach as well.

Sabans got the SEC losing their minds.

It's weird cause I kinda understand the Richt firing. That dude NEVER won a big game and even lost games he had no business losing....at least Les Miles biggest hurdle was Alabama, Richt had trouble with damn near ere'body in the conference.

But Mark Richt WILL get a good job.....I hope Georgia promotes from within, such a drastic change in coaching philosophy after years of that kind of coaching stability could throw them into a tailspin.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
Every school thinks they deserves Alabama success . Especially the SEC schools.

The only problem is there are only 2 GREAT college football coaches. Urban Meyer and Nick Saben then there is everybody else.

It's NOT wanting Bama success, but just win big games. Thats what Richt was never consistent in doing. I would haven given Richt next year but I can understand them firing him. Only sniffed a natty title game appearance once in his 15 years at UGA.

problem too with Richt is outside of AJ Green, Moreno, Gurley, Chubb, name 5 offensive players that were truly elite or developed into an all conference type talent during his time there? You can't. Who's UGA's best WR in Richt's tenure after AJ Green? Reggie Brown? SERIOUSLY!?!?!

Last edited:

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
It's Bama success, but just win big games. Thats what Richt was never consistent in doing. I would haven given Richt next year but I can understand them firing him. Only sniffed a natty title game apperance once in his 15 years at UGA.

I'm not even a Georgia fan (though I do follow them now, since I live here), but the thing that always kills me is that they ENTER certain games right on the threshold of breaking through to elite status, then just inexplicably DON'T SHOW UP during the game. Like, I've seen that happen to them more than a few times over the last several years.

Carlos Huerta

Just keep my rep red
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Every school thinks they deserves Alabama success . Especially the SEC schools.

The only problem is there are only 2 GREAT college football coaches. Urban Meyer and Nick Saben then there is everybody else.
+ Harbaugh & D'Antoni :sas2:

Carlos Huerta

Just keep my rep red
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Harbaurgh and D'antoni have won 3 chips at 2 different schools? :usure:

Neither has even been to the NC game :mjlol:

It Urb and Saban then it's everybody else, Harbs and Dantoni are very good coaches though...
D'Antoni with 5* recruits would easily have more wins and rings.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
No but money and pressure to win has. :saban:
word,

i said it in the random thread

theres a space of teams in every conference that failed veteran coaches like to live in...not the worst team in a conference...not a crust team in teh conference...programs that WILL accept 4 or more losses every now and then, and are happy with your 3 loss outback bowl / holiday bowl season

in the big ten its: maryland - illinois
acc its: north carolina - bc - pitt
big 12 its: WV - kansas - texas tech
sec its - ole miss - miss st - kentucky - arkansas
pac 12 its - cal - UW - AZ - AZst - oregon st - utah - UCLA - Colorado - wazu [see why pac 12 is gonna be bad for a while? they accept mediocrity]

look at who coaches at those schools...its ALL second chance, average ass coaches who are a lock to lose on a regular basis and hope for a low tier NYD bowl every 3 years...