Have any of ya'll successfully shaken off a rap music addiction?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
:whoa:Before I get crucified

I've listened to rap my whole life (1998- ) and, while some of the greatest nostalgia-ridden times of my life happened with a rap CD/Power 96/99 Jamz/Hot 103.5/106 & Park/TRL playing in the background, it's time for me to move on. My earliest interaction with the artform was being 3 years old (2001) driving down I-95 with my dad, sitting in my booster in the backseat and 99 Jamz playing this song with an INFECTIOUS hook on it. Cedric Hollywood came on after the song was finished and said "That song was HOT ya'll! Comin out the NO with that spicy Cajun heat was Mystikal with DANGAAAAA!!!!!!!" Just like that, my love of hip-hop was born.

But now, I'm at an impasse in my musical tastes. I've recently started expanding my ears to different genres and I'm really feeling tropical jazz & reggae fusion, in addition to the gospel/soul/R&B music that I've ALWAYS loved. Listening to other forms inspire creativity in myself and give me a mellow, almost euphoric mood. However, I have a high-strung side, and when I'm frustrated/walking/doing something non-sedentary I gotta blast some uptempo trap shyt to get me going, some Carti, some Rich, some 21, some NBA. I know yall might say "nikka stop listening to just trap music then!!!" The problem is that other types of hip-hop is boring as fukk, so I think I'll just quit listening to rap altogether. To the people that did it, what was your key to success? Can you give me any tips/pointers? Thx

dc_minded_2020

Superstar
Daps
Certain rappers I will always listen to for nostalgia purposes. Pac, Nas, Jay were big parts of my childhood and some of my best memories are attached to at least one of their albums.

But I feel you. I’m not really big on hip hop as a whole these days. Most of my playlist is contemporary r&b/soul. Discovering new shyt and re-familiarizing myself with old shyt is GOAT feeling. And besides, r&b as a whole >>> Hip Hop...now and back in the day.

Mandizi

5-I-3 till I D-I-E
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
I don't listen to explicit hardcore hip hop music anymore. Mainly Christian rap and instrumentals nowadays, with a few exceptions (Common, Lupe Fiasco old albums, Eric B & Rakim).

I still get tempted, cause the old 80s/90s/2000s hip hop sounds so good.

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
Once I found out how the music industry really works, and most of these rappers were faking their whole image, I started listening to less mainstream artists because I couldn't take them serious anymore

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I listen to more Earth Wind and Fire than most rappers nowadays. My "addiction" got broken when people jack and use the same production over and over again.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
I don't give 2 fukks about hip hop anymore and haven't since like 2011

And I was a FANATIC, bought hundreds of CDs even up till 2011

shyt ass and has been ass for years

Some hot songs do drop and I'm not saying there's 0 talent but there is not any amazing talent that keep my ears hooked :yeshrug:

I don't even download mixtapes/albums anymore and haven't for years

Even artists I like I have no interest in listening to them for more than a few tracks

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
You never really gave a reason for why you wanna quit rap other than other forms of music inspires you more, in which case somebody like me will think "why can't you listen to rap and STILL listen to other forms of music?"

In fact you stated that the rap you listen to has benefits and "gets you going".

Is the rap you listen to draining you mentally and spiritually or something?

Your post was too vague for me.

Regardless, be disciplined if that's what you really wanna do.

I have/had a soda addiction all my life and quit cold turkey recently. I haven't had 1 soda this year.

I just made a decision and stuck with it.

Simple:yeshrug:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Yeah..it was a gradual process. Rappers no longer speak to me..I listen to old rnb n soul, house and dancehall reggae.