Heard Rob Parker talk in interview about ESPN, Skip and Mike (no link)

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If a link comes up, I'll post it.

As far as Mike Tirico, he believes he did it because Costos is :flabbyandsick: He's younger, so once Bob Costos retires, he'll be the man. Plus, he like Golf and NBC owns the Golf channel, so he'll be able to do that. So even though he gave up, MNF, power move wise, it was smarter.

Skip- He was in the meeting when they changed the format of First Take. The boss's noticed that they would have a spike in ratings. And that was when they had the "1st and 10", "2nd and 10" debates. Thus, Skip was basically reborn when he realized the ratings. The secret to Skip's success according to Rob is that's he's not in between. When he loves someone, he's behind them no matter. When he's against, the same thing.

ESPN- Every great empire falls (i.e. Rome). He's not saying it's the end of ESPN but at the same time don't underestimate Fox Sports. He gave the example of CNN and Fox News. CNN looked upstoppable. But when Fox started building their programs on personality (Hannity, O'Reily) then the shift came. And now, they're more popular then CNN. He said it could happen the same way with Fox Sports. Because nobody watches Sportscenter anymore. You can see all the highlights on the phone. You watch ESPN now for what all this means (i.e. debate). ESPN might have became too big and think they can just interchange host.

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Dang, Costos is 64. I forgot the Olympics part but he said Tirico could do that too. I can agree with Rob on that if you look from that perspective that it was a good power move.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Fox sports will start seeing there ratings go up. I know they haven't seen the increase yet but landing Skip was huge. ESPN has no more personalities anymore

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Eventually in the not to distant future ESPN is going to either die off completely or change to something else that is completely different to what it is now...

The company is just bleeding money...which is why Disney told them to make some cut's...

And it's not the people leaving that is going to kill them...those people are interchangeable...just get some cac blow hard to replace colin cowherd...just get som cac troll to replace skip...Tirico is going to hurt but nobody is going to stop watching MNF or NBA games because he is not there...

ESPN has three problems that it can't fix.

1. People don't buy cable like they use to so that is just fewer people who end up paying for ESPN...it is going to get harder and harder for ESPN to charge cable companies a lot of money to carry the channel when cable companies subscribers are going down down down...

2. They spent WAY to much fukking money on all of those NFL and NBA TV deals. Specifically the NBA deals. That shyt alone is going to damn near TRIPLE.
NBA to announce $24 billion TV deal

3. At the same time they paying money out the ass for these TV deals...they let the NBA NFL MLB NHL also have their own channels. Now all of a sudden these sports that relied on ESPN to drive their league narratives don't have to anymore. They got there own networks, they can hire their own anchors, they can have those people talk about and feature exactly what those leagues want those people to talk about and feature. When the Ray Rice scandal happened that shyt was on ESPN 24/7. On the NFL Network they MAY would do a segment about it ever other hour, but it was mostly back to talking about football. On top of that, now when it is time to reup again these networks can throw out any wild ass number they want for TV deals and if ESPN doesn't bite, so fukking what we put it on our network.

I can't think of a worse business situation than number 3. Your cost of doing business damn near TRIPLES with some leagues, while at the same time those same leagues create competing networks to steal your viewers.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Eventually in the not to distant future ESPN is going to either die off completely or change to something else that is completely different to what it is now...

The company is just bleeding money...which is why Disney told them to make some cut's...

And it's not the people leaving that is going to kill them...those people are interchangeable...just get some cac blow hard to replace colin cowherd...just get som cac troll to replace skip...Tirico is going to hurt but nobody is going to stop watching MNF or NBA games because he is not there...

1. People don't buy cable like they use to so that is just fewer people who end up paying for ESPN...it is going to get harder and harder for ESPN to charge cable companies a lot of money to carry the channel when cable companies subscribers are going down down down...

2. They spent WAY to much fukking money on all of those NFL and NBA TV deals. Specifically the NBA deals. That shyt alone is going to damn near TRIPLE.

3. At the same time they paying money out the ass for these TV deals...they let the NBA NFL MLB NHL also have their own channels. Now all of a sudden these sports that relied on ESPN to drive their league narratives don't have to anymore. They got there own networks, they can hire their own anchors, they can have those people talk about and feature exactly what those leagues want those people to talk about and feature. When the Ray Rice scandal happened that shyt was on ESPN 24/7. On the NFL Network they MAY would do a segment about it ever other hour, but it was mostly back to talking about football. On top of that, now when it is time to reup again these networks can throw out any wild ass number they want for TV deals and if ESPN doesn't bite, so fukking what we put it on our network.

I can't think of a worse business situation than number 3. Your cost of doing business damn near TRIPLES with some leagues, while at the same time those same leagues create competing networks to steal your viewers.
The problem with #3 is ESPN went all in on football years ago, even though NFL Network covers everything a fan needs to know, plus every college football conference has their own networks.

They've basically b*stardized basketball and baseball, even though they show far more games from those two sports than they will the NFL, which is covered year round.

MLB Network is great, so it'd be tough for them to pinch those viewers, but NBA TV is trash and leaves a huge void for quality NBA coverage. It never made sense to me how little ESPN put towards their NBA coverage and years of having trash personalities/hosts, even though they're paying out the ass for NBA rights.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
If a link comes up, I'll post it.

As far as Mike Tirico, he believes he did it because Costos is :flabbyandsick: He's younger, so once Bob Costos retires, he'll be the man. Plus, he like Golf and NBC owns the Golf channel, so he'll be able to do that. So even though he gave up, MNF, power move wise, it was smarter.

Skip- He was in the meeting when they changed the format of First Take. The boss's noticed that they would have a spike in ratings. And that was when they had the "1st and 10", "2nd and 10" debates. Thus, Skip was basically reborn when he realized the ratings. The secret to Skip's success according to Rob is that's he's not in between. When he loves someone, he's behind them no matter. When he's against, the same thing.

ESPN- Every great empire falls (i.e. Rome). He's not saying it's the end of ESPN but at the same time don't underestimate Fox Sports. He gave the example of CNN and Fox News. CNN looked upstoppable. But when Fox started building their programs on personality (Hannity, O'Reily) then the shift came. And now, they're more popular then CNN. He said it could happen the same way with Fox Sports. Because nobody watches Sportscenter anymore. You can see all the highlights on the phone. You watch ESPN now for what all this means (i.e. debate). ESPN might have became too big and think they can just interchange host.

Tirico is a lead Game Announcer, Bob mostly does Studio shyt. Tirico gonna call the Thursday Night Football games, Golf, Olympics, Hockey, maybe Notre Dame games etc... Al Michaels contract is up in 2 years, he'll probably re-up, but he's up there in age. Tirico got Sunday Night Football waiting for him. Nothing Bob really does will affect Tirico.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple

:mjlol:

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
It will be tough for fox to get over ESPN, sports shows..etc are failing everywhere including ESPN. ESPN has changed so much trying to be hip now. I remember watching sports center like 2-3 weeks ago, and the analyst were all just roasting rather than talking about the game. They are basically trying to fit in with the hip crowd.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The problem with #3 is ESPN went all in on football years ago, even though NFL Network covers everything a fan needs to know, plus every college football conference has their own networks.

They've basically b*stardized basketball and baseball, even though they show far more games from those two sports than they will the NFL, which is covered year round.

MLB Network is great, so it'd be tough for them to pinch those viewers, but NBA TV is trash and leaves a huge void for quality NBA coverage. It never made sense to me how little ESPN put towards their NBA coverage and years of having trash personalities/hosts, even though they're paying out the ass for NBA rights.

Good point...I completely forgot college football...ESPN has to compete with those networks now to...

I agree that NBA TV programming is trash...but that is not really the point...it's more about the amount of content...if a person is in to basketball enough to watch a channel about nothing but basketball then another channel getting better basketball shows and coverage isn't going to matter much...in the end they can only cover basketball so much before they have to move on to the next sport and nba tv can just keep covering basketball...

That NBA TV deal is insane...ESPN is going to be out of pocket around 800 million extra dollars JUST TO GIVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF BASKETBALL COVERAGE THEY BEEN PAYING AROUND 400 MILLION for :mindblown:

No business model on earth can survive this...