Homelessness hits its highest reported level as rents soar and pandemic aid lapses, U.S. says

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
Rent is too high. Period. Especially in major metropolitan areas across the country.

Everything is expensive. It’s hard to save money and people are literally working to pay bills.

COVID fukked up everything and a lot of people said it would take years for things to go back to pre pandemic levels.

At some point, real estate valuations have to come down. People who bought a house 2 years ago for $350,000, don’t be shocked if it’s only worth $285,000 in 5 years.

And you know the game is rigged. How does commercial real estate values have steadily declined, but residential hasn’t?
Supply and demand is part of it.

No one is selling. If you have a paid off property or refinanced during covid and got a much lower rate (☝🏾) you are holding on to that home indefinitely. So the 6certs, etc gang who have the money will buy whatever new construction/available properties at current prices (because higher income people are still buying). SADLY it’s the average Joe getting priced out.

Commercial real estate- remote work really changed the game. There’s a lot of empty offices/office spaces that aren’t being utilized as much as they were pre-pandemic.
And it depends on your region, because there are places that are turning away from shopping malls and building mixed use— lots of strips with restaurants, shops, and condos above or in the same area…etc

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Supply and demand is part of it.

No one is selling. If you have a paid off property or refinanced during covid and got a much lower rate (☝🏾) you are holding on to that home indefinitely. So the 6certs, etc gang who have the money will buy whatever new construction/available properties at current prices (because higher income people are still buying). SADLY it’s the average Joe getting priced out.

Commercial real estate- remote work really changed the game. There’s a lot of empty offices/office spaces that aren’t being utilized as much as they were pre-pandemic.
And it depends on your region, because there are places that are turning away from shopping malls and building mixed use— lots of strips with restaurants, shops, and condos above or in the same area…etc

It’s the reason I never sold my condo. But I’m going to leave the US on the next couple of years.

It’s just not worth the headache.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
And yet we’re so quick to give our money away to some foreign country while we have people in our own country starving and having nowhere to stay. :francis:

This is always a useless deflection. Foreign aid is 0.7% of the federal budget (and literally 0% of state/local budgets), and most of that is for strategic military objectives. Why not mention the trillions dumbed into the military-industrial complex, or the trillions in government giveaways to insurance and pharmaceutical companies and big agriculture, or the trillions in tax breaks to big corporations and the wealthy?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Yeah and what did that achieve as opposed to what the French achieved

It’s called a starting point, the French Revolution occurred over a decade. That shyt didn’t just happen in a vacuum.

Now will we finally reach our tipping point and get our memorial Ron Desantis handkerchiefs? Who knows? :yeshrug:

I guess the French Revolution certainly led to change, but it was hell on Earth for a lot of the people who actually had to live through it. Around a million French people died in the Revolution itself or the Napoleonic Wars that followed, and there were continuing terrors and purges even after the Napoleonic Wars were over too.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
I've posted this before, but a really good read by real engineers talking about the problem:

It's a system wide problem that's nor unique to engineering.

An engineer today will get paid about the same dollars as they would have gotten 10 years ago.

But it's worse than this.

I worked as a general laborer in a factory 20 years ago and made as much as being am engineer. I didn't exceed the actual dollar wages of a general labor job until a few years ago.

But it gets worse.

That exact general labor job today pays 2/3rds actual wage dollars today than it did 20 years ago.

But...it gets worse.

The buying power of the dollar is about half of what it was 20 years ago. This means that general labor job actually pays 1/3 the wage it did 20 years ago from a buying power standpoint. It also means that even today, after going to college, after getting a high skill engineering job, after working a decade in my career, and after being promoted up to management, after all the work to position myself so much better, I STILL don't have a much buying power as I did just 20 years ago as a general laborer in a factory. And considering I actually did both and lived with the income of both, I can state this is true. I feel more poor now than I did 20 years ago.

Yet, it's still worse.

Everyone growing up into today's work force and value of the dollar has the same problem, and they don't have the advantage of 20 years of prep. They're stuck with this garbage right at the start and have to live in it. Many of the people I work with have two or three jobs. That's how they're coping with modern life. Even myself, I rent with others to keep living expenses reasonable, and I don't know if I'll ever own a home. The modern world is crazy expensive. 20 years ago, I could buy a house and completely pay it off in around 5 years with the extra money I had. That's how cash rich I was back then.

The issue isn't the price of north American labour imo. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as it's definitely uninformed and will reflect my leftist beliefs, and I welcome criticism, but I reckon it's a combination of a few factors.

The costs of goods from Asia have gone up with the increased standards of living and income in China, products have become increasingly complex and the supply chain bloated, fuel costs have increased exorbitantly, and the finance and marketing industries have grown a lot.

The sweatshops of China have become automated factories and machine shops and (quite reasonably so) their income has increased, which costs us more. Same kind of progress Japan saw, originally people bought only American because japanese products were junk, then China made the junk and Japanese was quality, now Chinese products are increasingly of higher quality and more products will be made in places like Bangladesh to drive costs down. But manufacturing has already gone overseas, so prices keep going up without a correlating increase in income. The only upside being that, at this point, outsourcing has somewhat stabilized so we're not likely to lose an obscene amount more domestic jobs - if it's not already happened, it's not going to get cheaper to outsource.

This has happened while products get more complex and fuel costs have increased. Consequently, we're spending more on foreign salaries than ever. This is not a "boo china" thing - we've lived luxuriously on the backs of cheap foreign labor for years. There could come a time a thousand years in the future when the entire world has gone through the same development China has, everyone country is somewhat "first world", and we see this "problem" at it's worst. It sucks compared to the deal we had, but it's not unfair, realistically speaking.

As we've lost domestic production, a lot of industries like finance and marketing which, to a degree, "skim some off the top" rather than purely increase domestic production have gained a lot. There was no equivalent to Google before Google, and advertising is the reason they're such a juggernaut. Consequently everything we buy has a much larger margin for those sorts of things.

Products are also not built to last. While advancements in engineering and the state of technology mean we could build cars that last decades until they're totalled, and computers/phones are fast enough to run literally anything we need, they're not designed to do so for more than a few years. They're not designed to be upgraded to catch up, or repaired to extend their life. So instead of buying a car to last 30 years and spending money domestically to fix it, we buy a new car after 6 years. A Mercedes is not designed to be easy to fix if you get a serious engine problem. But if you open up a 95 Civic it's almost a home garage job to replace the engine. Instead of designing software to be more efficient, we let it bloat freely and replace the computer to catch up.

We're also taking better care of the planet, which meant ditching some terrible practices that saved money. Resource scarcity has had an effect on this, too, with recycling becoming not only the "right thing to do" but also financially prudent.

So, all in all, it's largely an unavoidable (and reasonable) result of not getting shyt for dirt cheap anymore, and somewhat a result of consumerism becoming more ridiculous than ever. If we want to improve things, "buy domestic" and "purchase serviceable products" needs to be the mantra. We need to build cities smaller and not just sprawling suburbs.

And, to answer your question more directly, increasing national wages would drive up income more than it would drive up costs - if you spend 100% of your income on stuff, and stuff is 50% foreign resources and salaries, 50% domestic, then a doubled salary would only increase product costs 50%. Very incomplete picture, but explains well why minimum wage increases are entirely reasonable give the obscene costs of living nowadays.

EDIT: since someone reminded me, corporate/executive greed is also at an all-time high. Big ol rich-off between Bezos and Musk. And I'm sure y'all have seen the graphs showing executive compensation vs worker compensation. Unfortunately it's the people hit the worst by this greed that tend to be most against limiting that greed. I'd love to see numbers on what the average worker salary would be if every CEOs bank was drained of any cash above $50M and distributed evenly.

These are non-conspiracy, professional engineers telling you what it is. Basically a lot of money in financial bullshyt rather than actual real world usefulness and engineering.

I read that $100k about 20 years ago is equivalent to $173k now.
In 2022, most of the male workforce salary was about $52k in the United States.
A mechanical engineer 20 years ago made about $65k/year. Now they make $85k per year and are having a tough time living in decent areas.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Posted about this earlier:

Basically this. Last post greatly summarizes it all: yeah, nice numbers but actually a decent quality of life is a struggle for most people to attain/maintain.

That's the reality of it.

I noted that last reply, but most replies to Marc and the first post echo the same sentiment very well.

So while Hong Kong kicked a bunch of ass economically for decades, it's citizens were really feeling it.
The same thing is happening right now but in America and it just started.
We aren't numbers on a piece of paper but that's what we are to some people.

I'v posted this before, but a really good read by real engineers talking about the problem:

These are non-conspiracy, professional engineers telling you what it is.

Thank you for all of that.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
Thank you for all of that.
Yup, no problem. That reddit thread is one of the best threads I've ever read anywhere on the internet.

Them engineers from multiple disciplines dissected the fukk out of what's happening right now. They broke it straight down.

You got engineers talking about how they're in borderline poverty, and that was two years ago.

The first post-reply in that thread :wow:
What career is keeping up with inflation?

Last edited:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Did you think there was an "official" definition of Black that you have to pass to get counted in the census? :heh:

It's one thing when folks are kee kee keeing it up over this stuff.

Now we got mainstream media getting in on the joke?

SMH

WIA

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Now we got mainstream media getting in on the joke?

SMH

WIA

It's not a joke. Those results are literally the people who identify as Black. There's no standard, other than that they identify as Black You don't know if they have two parents straight from Africa, 3/4 Black, 1/2 Black, 1/8 Black, lying about being Black, anything. There's no official standard, it's a social construct that we stopped defining a long time ago (and when it was defined, it was defined entirely by racists).

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
It's not a joke. Those results are literally the people who identify as Black. There's no standard, other than that they identify as Black You don't know if they have two parents straight from Africa, 3/4 Black, 1/2 Black, 1/8 Black, lying about being Black, anything. There's no official standard, it's a social construct that we stopped defining a long time ago (and when it was defined, it was defined entirely by racists).

I understand the point that you want to make that there's never been a formal and objective criteria for blackness.

That's well understood. Blackness in general was a top down description from others. We can play word games and trace all of humanity back to Africa, if that's what we're doing here.

Despite all these ADOS/FBA people screaming whatever, a lion born in a pig sty is still a lion.

But my point is that now the media is giving more license to people like the Paris Jackson's of the world, which is NEW.

It's one thing for Paris Jackson to elect to call herself Black, it's another thing for the media to endorse it.

That's a difference in kind, not degree.

If you don't see how the media formerly adopting "twitter bs", I'm afraid we're at an impasse in understanding one another.