How do I find my Roots?

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
So I'm half ADOS on my dad's side and Half Afro Caribbean on my mom's side. Most of my pops family has passed, is locked up or estranged. I want to get to know more about my ADOS side (they're from NC and MD respectively.) what would be the best way to go about that ? Would an ancestry test be best? Are there other ways? Any info would be appreciated.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Welp... The lock up situation might work in your favor. Laws (police/prison) tend to collect DNA and bank it. Which is useful for hits once you get yours tested. Census records will also be helpful once you have names to work with.

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I typically use a rat tail comb and part my hair. Move one side over so you can see your scalp clearly and you'll see your roots.

Let me know if this helps.

Don't forget to hit that Subscribe button

šŸ¤˜

3Rivers

thaKEAF aint never lied
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Steel City
ancestry.com, 23andme.com, myheritage.com for DNA

Ancestry also has records

familysearch.org for records(usually not indexed)

newspapers.com(you may find obits of your fam that could contain names of their kids/spouses,siblings etc. Also may find your fam in the papers in different news articles from yesteryear.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
ancestry.com, 23andme.com, myheritage.com for DNA

Ancestry also has records

familysearch.org for records(usually not indexed)

newspapers.com(you may find obits of your fam that could contain names of their kids/spouses,siblings etc. Also may find your fam in the papers in different news articles from yesteryear.
Thanks fam