How Do We Measure the Value of a Life?

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
My threads are usually always depressing. This one will be no different, just a warning. What makes my (your) life valuable? Billions of human beings have lived and died without any noticeable impact on this planet. How do we define value? Money, status, philanthropy, power, love, fear? Many of us here make decent money but not enough to have profound impact on the world or the people around us.

Most of us here probably live paycheck to paycheck. Trying to stay above water; putting away what little we can for emergencies. It can't be money. Money can't determine the value of one's life because the majority of us don't have a significant amount of it to make a noticeable difference. Yet, it's the most important thing in most of our lives.

I don't see much value in my own life. If I were to die right now, my family would be impacted. That's it. Does that give my life value? I don't think so. Not necessarily. This thought moves me because I can't answer it. I have such deep emotions that even when I feel nothing, I feel it heavily. A shell of a man that once was. Seeking meaning, value and self love. I think self love determines the value of one's self. But its so hard to do when you can't get ahead in life.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
welcome-back-mase.gif

ishhalllaaah :blessed:

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
A.I. says

The value of a life is a complex and philosophical question that has been debated by thinkers, ethicists, and scholars for centuries. Different perspectives and belief systems offer various ways to approach this question. Here are a few common viewpoints on measuring the value of a life:

1. Intrinsic Value: Some argue that every human life has intrinsic value simply by virtue of being alive. This perspective asserts that all lives are inherently valuable and should be respected and protected.

2. Utilitarianism: Utilitarianism weighs the value of a life based on the overall happiness or well-being it brings to individuals or society. According to this view, the value of a life can be measured by the positive impact it has on others or the greater good.

3. Contribution or Achievement: Another perspective suggests that the value of a life can be determined by the contributions, achievements, or impact an individual makes during their lifetime. This could be measured by their accomplishments, influence, or legacy.

4. Subjective Perception: Some argue that the value of a life is subjective and can vary depending on individual perspectives, relationships, and personal experiences. Each person may assign different values to different lives based on their own unique criteria.

It's important to note that these perspectives are not exhaustive, and opinions on the value of a life may differ based on cultural, religious, or personal beliefs. Ultimately, the question of how we measure the value of a life is a deeply philosophical and personal one, and different individuals and societies may approach it differently.

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
I don't see much value in my own life. If I were to die right now, my family would be impacted. That's it. Does that give my life value? I don't think so. Not necessarily. This thought moves me because I can't answer it. I have such deep emotions that even when I feel nothing, I feel it heavily. A shell of a man that once was.
u sound as perma bored as me, i think u need a healthy hobby or smth. too bad the tinychat isn't a thing a thing anymore or i'd offer to play russian roulette rn, it's a fun, safe and legal thrill.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Everyone's life has value. It's been 110 billion people who have lived in the last 200k years. That is a very small amount when you think about it. Now it sounds like you personally don't feel fulfilled in your life. If that is so you need to figure out what you want and set out a plan to make it happen.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
You measure it thru how it’s lived, not by your “value” in a group.

You take away from your experience measuring it against others or measuring your life’s value in other people’s worlds

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
What do we exactly mean by value, why would life have value, should it have value and why, and if it does have value and it should have value, can we measure it, should we measure it?

If you don't question the axioms, you load the question as you would a dice.

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's all in the perspective of the person. For me, I'd like to build and leave something for my bloodline so they don't have as tough of a time as I did. I want for people that I've had contact with to see me as someone who helped them more than hurt, without compromising myself.

I live life with this in the back of my mind everyday.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
My threads are usually always depressing. This one will be no different, just a warning. What makes my (your) life valuable? Billions of human beings have lived and died without any noticeable impact on this planet. How do we define value? Money, status, philanthropy, power, love, fear? Many of us here make decent money but not enough to have profound impact on the world or the people around us.

Most of us here probably live paycheck to paycheck. Trying to stay above water; putting away what little we can for emergencies. It can't be money. Money can't determine the value of one's life because the majority of us don't have a significant amount of it to make a noticeable difference. Yet, it's the most important thing in most of our lives.

I don't see much value in my own life. If I were to die right now, my family would be impacted. That's it. Does that give my life value? I don't think so. Not necessarily. This thought moves me because I can't answer it. I have such deep emotions that even when I feel nothing, I feel it heavily. A shell of a man that once was. Seeking meaning, value and self love. I think self love determines the value of one's self. But its so hard to do when you can't get ahead in life.
Hinestly I'm just glad you're okay. Got worried for a bit there. I seriously suggest meditation for whatever you're going thru, send a PM if you need

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the only things that removes value from a human life are if a person is abusive to others, kills others (or contributes to their abuse/killing in some way) or steals from his fellow man.

otherwise all human life is sacred :ufdup: