I can't recall black people committing suicide in the 90's but now its happening all over the place

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
I swear that shyt seemed like a taboo back then and suicide was considered (still is) a "white people issue" but more and more, I often hear of black people taking our own lives. I think its has to do more with the fact that we interact more with whites and our cultures have clashed some thanks to the transparency of the internet and social media.:patrice:

That IG chick, the black lives matter activist, and that dude from nickelodeon to name just a few in the past 2 years

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I swear that shyt seemed like a taboo back then and suicide was considered (still is) a "white people issue" but more and more, I often hear of black people taking our own lives. I think its has to do more with the fact that we interact more with whites and our cultures have clashed some thanks to the transparency of the internet and social media.:patrice:

That IG chick, the black lives matter activist, and that dude from nickelodeon to name just a few in the past 2 years

This rising suicide tide can impact black middle-class teenagers in white suburbs, as well as those in inner-city neighborhoods. In fact, Xanthos argues that black youths living in white communities often face the trauma of not relating to their white neighbors and also feeling estranged from blacks from poorer, urban settings. Certainly, the suicide of James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, underscored that suicide can strike the rich and poor.
Click to expand...​
(source) The Root: Black Male Suicide

/

Also people kill themselves by precipitating murders on themselves by doing alot of fukkry so that it catches up with them. I know people who done so much fukked up things to people it was clear they was just lashing out in hope that somebody kills them one day.

Hopelessness and poor coping strategies. More men around for people to emulate non-self destructive ways of coping with pressure and keeping mentally healthy would help a lot of people as well

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I actually remember an issue of the Source from like either 97 or 98 (Think its the cube cover one) where they went super in depth about how black suicides had been on the uptick at the time and why it was largely ingnored by everyone and even cited some Hip Hop (Scarface, a new DMX that had some lyrics dealing with depression on it)

Kinda a interesting read. I feel like even if nowadays it seems like more, its a problem that never really went away

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles

jett jackson :wow::mjcry:

Ronald McDonald

Even in the darkest nights, I'm a MAC for life
Daps
Black suicide rates have actually gone down since the 90s and 80s

The suicide rate for African Americans reached a high in 1990 at 12.8 suicides per 100,000 people, but immediately began to drop a year later, with an average decrease of about 0.47 each year for black males.

“Self esteem is higher in African Americans,” said Dr. Amy Weisman, a psychology professor at the University of Miami as an explanation to the differences between minority and white suicide rates.

“African Americans score higher on measures of both individualism and collectivism than do whites. Individualism may give them more self esteem, and collectivistic values offer more community support in times of distress,” Weisman said. “Both of which may play into the lower suicide rates.”

Soon

Banned
Daps
mental illness runs rampant in the black community :wow:

we ignore the shyt or just pray on it :snoop:

just recently I've seen commercial targeting
mental health issues in the black community

I think there are 4 issues with mental illness in the black community.

1) Its far easier to treat a spoiled middle class kid or a house wife, then it is to treat a teenage Ar-Ab, Taxstone, or 50 Cent. Why bust your ass treating a troubled youth, when you don't work as hard to treat a spoiled rich kid.

Therapist get paid the same, so most will not want to treat at risk kids, they will just medicate them with a whole bunch of b.s. drugs and avoid doing real therapy, gotta give Dr. Umar Johnson props for informing black parents, cause this is a huge problem in the system.

2) There is so much dysfunction in our community, that it is hard to even pick out people who are schizophrenic or truly suffering from mental illness. Its sad when you have young women who is schitzo which causes mode swings and doing some outlandish things sexually like gang bangs and sex with random strangers.

3) Tolerance. We have tolerance for people in our community that are less than perfect. Other communities (especially white, middle eastern, and Oriental) will not tolerate 90% of the stuff we see as endearing. So why get help when the nonsense actually puts you ahead of the crowd.

4) Our people develop coping mechanisms, so we work through our mental illness without a therapist, but the draw back is they have very backwards thinking. So their mental illness ends up looking mild, but they suffer from severe dysfunction.

semtex

:)
Daps

in a way you just answered your own question. We have more transparency thanks to it being the information age, therefore you know about more instances of black suicide than you would have in the 90s.