I have no idea what the purpose of the NBA in-season tournament is.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Can somebody break down what this in-season tournament is or what the purpose of it is? It seem like it would make more sense around the middle of the season. Truth is I don't even know what they're playing for and why it is any different from games on Christmas or any other games for that matter. Somebody help ya boy understand this shyt :skip:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
The NBA In-Season Tournament Explained

What is the NBA In-Season Tournament?​

The NBA is launching an “in-season cup” format and then following that with a single-elimination tournament for eight teams, with the final two rounds in Las Vegas.
You play four regular-season games in November, and based on your record (and then tiebreakers), you advance to the eight-team tournament. All four of those games count as regular-season games, too. Think of it like they exist in two worlds.
Then, in the second week of December, the eight teams play in a tournament format while the rest of the league plays normal regular-season games. The first two rounds of the tournament count as regular-season games; the championship does not.
Essentially, you get eight teams in a single elimination tournament with seeding determined by four November regular-season games.

What Do You Win For the NBA In-Season Tournament?​

A Cup! Who doesn’t like a Cup? You get a big trophy with a cup on it!

Okay, fine. There’s also the most important prize to most people: cash. Via the AP:

"There’s a cash incentive, $500,000 per player on the winning team and smaller prizes ($50,000 to $200,000 per player) for the other teams that make the quarterfinals and semifinals. That works out to a total prize pool of about $18 million. And it should put a little extra meaning on early season games."

Many people have ideas on what exactly they should win, but most are flawed ideas. Let’s go over those quickly:

“A lottery pick!”: You know what will not make players compete? If the team wins, there is a chance it literally replaces that player with a cheaper (and maybe better) player in the draft.

“The No.1 seed!”: You can’t throw out the regular season. You can’t tell teams they can bust their backsides for six months to earn homecourt, but a random team that won three games in December gets it.

“Winner gets All-Star in their home market the next year!”: This one is not a bad idea, but it’s not feasible as the competition for those spots is intense and there are certain cities the NBA does not feel can support an All-Star Weekend due to logistics.

NBA In-Season Tournament Tiebreakers​

Via the NBA, here are the tiebreakers.

• Head-to-head record in the Group Stage;

• Point differential in the Group Stage;

• Total points scored in the Group Stage;

• Regular season record from the 2022-23 NBA regular season; and

• Random drawing (in the unlikely scenario that two or more teams are still tied following the previous tiebreakers).

Who Gets The In-Season Tournament Wild Card Spots?​

The next-best teams are based on overall group stage record, followed by the tiebreakers above.

Daps
They have to create a package or creative ways to package the NBA that shows expansion and growth to receive more money for the next TV deal. It might not make sense now, but it will definitely evolve or have more competitive incentives that are not "money per player". They just have to show the potential.

rbksNgirbauds

Even on the court we stay flyy, Jada & A.I.
Daps
The purpose is to get the fans talking about the sport and tuning in , I think :hubie:

I haven't minded it, haven't much cared either. Some of the courts are a bit loud I guess.
But in fairness, we haven't reached the "Winner takes all" aspect of the tourney yet either so who knows how much things may heat up.

And these young teams are competing boi, so it's compelling in that right just on its own.

distinguishedNOW

THIS MY GOTDAMN HOUSE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wake.
Some of yall be acting real remedial bout new shyt :laugh: .

They re-purposed some regular season games. Some people have more interest in these early season games than they did last year because of it. Some have essentially the same interest (or lack thereof) as last year when they were just normal Regular Season games. There's zero harm or inconvenience to anyone involved, fans included.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
It’s a clever method to get people to care about games in November. The unoffical start of NBA season used to be Xmas Day. Now you have people tuned into these tourney games. The players seem to care. Dame and Lebron have talked about winning it so the guys who get paid vet min can get that $500K. These guys are competitive in nature as well so they’re into it. It’s good for the game.