I have no idea what the purpose of the NBA in-season tournament is.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Can somebody break down what this in-season tournament is or what the purpose of it is? It seem like it would make more sense around the middle of the season. Truth is I don't even know what they're playing for and why it is any different from games on Christmas or any other games for that matter. Somebody help ya boy understand this shyt :skip:

I don’t know the format, schedule, point of it, the prize or even the incentive for players to give as shít — especially those on trash teams.

They could’ve made it a little 2 week thing in Vegas leading up to the all star game and that’s that

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I don’t know the format, schedule, point of it, the prize or even the incentive for players to give as shít — especially those on trash teams.

They could’ve made it a little 2 week thing in Vegas leading up to the all star game and that’s that

That was my thing. I thought it would have been a bigger deal to lead up to the all star break with it.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I was skeptical at first but I love the idea. I think you’ll like it to once the knock out rounds begin

The games have been interesting maybe it'll hit harder once the next round starts like you say, right now it seems like a gimmick.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

All 30 teams have been randomly drawn into groups of 5, with the teams spread out evenly based on their records from last year. The current leaders in each group are:

Pacers
Bucks/Heat
Celtics
Lakers
Pelicans/Nuggets
Kings/Timberwolves

During November there are designated "Tournament Nights" where teams play a game that counts as a tourney game against another team in their group. So every team has 4 group play tournament games, which also count as regular season games.

When group play is over, the leaders in each group and two wild-cards (based on best record and point differential) will play a single-elimination tournament to determine the winner. These will also count as regular-season games, with the teams who don't play those games getting randomly matched up in regular games to even it out.

Every player on the team that makes the playoff gets $50k. Every player on the teams that make the semis gets $100k. The losers in the final get $200k and the winners in the final get $500k.

Remember, these are guys who get insanely competitive for card games in the plane over a few hundred dollars. This is a real incentive not to mention just the regular bragging rights of wanting to win games that count.

That would only hype the sport for two weeks, and basketball is already a big deal in February with playoff races heating up and trade deadline approaching. They're trying to build attention for the game at a time of year when people weren't paying attention to results.

Plus, this way the hype is extended for 6 weeks not just 2 weeks, and the hometown fans get to be a part of it. Do you really want to watch two weeks of half-interested Vegas tourist audiences at the game?

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
Daryl Morey once said that there should be more to celebrate than an NBA title. An NBA season is so long that there should be various ways of having success. Look at baseball and what a division title means.........There was just nothing like that until this In-season tournament. The only wack thing is that there's nothing for fans to cheer for. Like the players get money, what do the fans get?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Daryl Morey once said that there should be more to celebrate than an NBA title. An NBA season is so long that there should be various ways of having success. Look at baseball and what a division title means.........There was just nothing like that until this In-season tournament. The only wack thing is that there's nothing for fans to cheer for. Like the players get money, what do the fans get?
It’s a way to give the regular season games some importance and stakes which I’m all for. People have been complaining for years that the players sleepwalk through the regular season and just use it as prep for the playoffs. The NBA tried something new, I don’t see a reason to shyt on it, especially since it seems to be working. These guys are playing hard in these tournament games.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
It’s a way to give the regular season games some importance and stakes which I’m all for. People have been complaining for years that the players sleepwalk through the regular season and just use it as prep for the playoffs. The NBA tried something new, I don’t see a reason to shyt on it, especially since it seems to be working. These guys are playing hard in these tournament games.

I honestly like it.

They have the commissioner's cup in the WNBA and I thought it worked out well.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
They have to create a package or creative ways to package the NBA that shows expansion and growth to receive more money for the next TV deal. It might not make sense now, but it will definitely evolve or have more competitive incentives that are not "money per player". They just have to show the potential.
This is a point that a lot of fans are overlooking because those streamers aren’t going to be too keen and understanding when it comes to load management compared to the NBA’s current partners.

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
I believe that this « in early season tournament » was designed to accomplish four things:

1. to attract new fans,

2. to bring back the casual fans,

3. to motivate the diehard fans and keep them focused on the season,

4. to get shine/spotlight during peak football season.

Unfortunately, casual basketball fans don’t have the same passion, interest and thirst of ball knowledge as hardcore basketball fans. They have limited and short attention spans and flock to gimmicks, flashy headlines, narratives, events, hot takes, shiny things and novelty. In this era of social media, countless distractions and endless entertainment options, you have to standout from the rest of the pack and make a strong impression on people’s minds.

Both the NFL and college football completely dominate the fall and early winter sports schedule in America, so the NBA thought that establishing this « in season tournament » early in the season would bring more attention/viewers to its product in the first month of the season and steal some shine from the powerful and uber-popular NFL.

Last edited:

DjMe

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was skeptical at first but I love the idea. I think you’ll like it to once the knock out rounds begin
This reads like it was written by an indian who is getting paid to post it.
Do you think he will like it to sirs? very goood.