Is it possible to start a tech company without knowing anything about programming?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
I have some ideas but I have absolutely NO idea about coding or anything. I know another person trying to develop an app and went on Angellist for a cofounder but she said it's like 250 business owners for every 1 programmer:skip: And I know that hiring someone to program for you costs WAAAAAAAAY more than I can spend. So is it possible to do so? Any input is welcome, thanks.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Idk who on angelist but you could probably get a better deal on fiverr.

But yea, the less you know the more it can cost cause you'd need fluent english speaking high level professionals to know the technical "how to's" for every aspect of your vision

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
yes and no...you can outsource your dev to coders in india for the low. that will get you a beta-version and prototype. from there you may have the leverage to bring on someone in the US as a technical co-founder. angelist is highly visible in the tech space and lot of well connected, experienced, pedigreed people are on there, so yea, it's hard to find talent on there, but there are a lot of freelance coders and students looking to build portfolios, everyone aint getting snapped up by silicon valley companies, especially people coming from schools outside the typical recruiting circles.

but if you're legitimately trying to make a consumer or enterprise ready product, you won't need to learn to code per-se, but you will need to learn how to speak to technical talent (coders [front and backend],UI/UX designers, QA engineers) so they can translate and act on your vision. if you get to a place where you're seeking funding, you'll definitely need a technical co-founder or lead.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Breh, #1 I have ADHD & #2 I got a book on Python from Barnes and Noble and might as well have been reading Chinese :sadcam:
yeah i feel you. i just started a few months ago myself because i had some ideas too. Personally for me i learn best through videos or some sort of online interactive website. But if you take the time you could save alot of money and learn a very useful skill.

shadowking

All Star
Daps
You'll have to get a technical Co founder.

First at least validate your idea. Tell people what it is and fine tune it. Do a few surveys and interviews.

Get a crude prototype of the product. Use fiverr and just create a crap version. Show it to the team for functionality purposes.

If it goes well then you can at least attend meet ups or get a technical Co founder here.

One thing execution is more important than your idea....Your idea doesn't mean squat. People can't steal your ideas if they can't execute it themselves which is why you should know your market cold.

At least study it for an hour daily so you can know the statistics, buyer profile, competitors, usp etc

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Try some udemy courses.

CAN you do it? Sure, but it will help to learn something. I recommend C#

Also, if you refuse to learn at least put your idea into a wireframe. use something like Balsamiq to get it done. Free 30 day trial and not that expensive if you are serious.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Try some udemy courses.

CAN you do it? Sure, but it will help to learn something. I recommend C#

Also, if you refuse to learn at least put your idea into a wireframe. use something like Balsamiq to get it done. Free 30 day trial and not that expensive if you are serious.

Is Balsamiq the best wireframe tool? Does it handle both iOS and Android?

What are some other tools I should consider?

shadowking

All Star
Daps
Got any tips in terms of good developers?

Have you used any off Upwork, etc.?
Yes I have used both upwork and fiverr for works. I just paid $xxx to a black designer two days ago.

Up work has more professionals and is more expensive but the most important thing is to actually know what you want to make first. Look up competitors and other requests on upwork or behance.

Then sketch even with pencil and use crude markings just to show how it'll work similar to a comic book strip.
That's what I did. U can also copy other apps or sketches already out there...no shame..
bill gates and Steve job stole their designs from the initial xerox pac research group.
Airbnb stole customers by data mining from craigslist

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Yes I have used both upwork and fiverr for works. I just paid $xxx to a black designer two days ago.

Up work has more professionals and is more expensive but the most important thing is to actually know what you want to make first. Look up competitors and other requests on upwork or behance.

Then sketch even with pencil and use crude markings just to show how it'll work similar to a comic book strip.
That's what I did. U can also copy other apps or sketches already out there...no shame..
bill gates and Steve job stole their designs from the initial xerox pac research group.
Airbnb stole customers by data mining from craigslist

Respect.

One more question, breh. What about hosting for your app? If users are uploading a bunch of shyt, what type of hosting/server do you use?

shadowking

All Star
Daps
Respect.

One more question, breh. What about hosting for your app? If users are uploading a bunch of shyt, what type of hosting/server do you use?

It really depends.

For most people it depends on the number of users and traffic. If you're just starting out you can use a vps and lay like $15/month
Best VPS Hosting Providers - TechZog.com - Technology. Blogging. SEO.

Only when you start growing do you move on to dedicated servers. Then your dev team would show you the pros and cons of each space...Most likely you'll use the amazon Web service, Google cloud or Microsoft azure.
Ps: that's a great problem to have btw but the key is to start something. Fail or succeed isn't the issue but actually putting pen to paper

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It really depends.

For most people it depends on the number of users and traffic. If you're just starting out you can use a vps and lay like $15/month
Best VPS Hosting Providers - TechZog.com - Technology. Blogging. SEO.

Only when you start growing do you move on to dedicated servers. Then your dev team would show you the pros and cons of each space...Most likely you'll use the amazon Web service, Google cloud or Microsoft azure.
Ps: that's a great problem to have btw but the key is to start something. Fail or succeed isn't the issue but actually putting pen to paper

I hear that. I'm trying to get something kicked off before summer of next year. Hopefully by spring.

This is good information. Appreciate it!