Is marketing a good major?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
:lupe:

For reference, I attend a middle of the pack public university, located in a major metropolitan area (Miami/South Florida)

I'd like to work in the marketing department of a Fortune 1000 company or a position at a notable marketing/advertising agency for a few years after I graduate, then start my own inbound marketing firm that partners with young companies & helps them pinpoint room for growth & sales in exchange for minority equity.

Is this a good plan? Is marketing a good major? Or am I destined to fail horribly?:lupe:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I know some black women who got their MBA in marketing management. One works as a senior marketing manager for Pfizer Pharmaceutical the other works as a Global distribution executive for the NBA and the last one is working for Sony.

Yes, Marketing is a fine major.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I never supported anyone getting a Business/marketing/advertising degree. Really makes no sense. Better to get a degree in a field you want to go to, then make a business out of that

Do business minded people get Business degrees? Yes. But those degrees/schools are geared towards management positions where you're working inside an existing business. But that's just me

thewiz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I’m in marketing and yeah you can make a lot of money.. not sure how many marketing jobs are available in south Florida but there’s a ridiculous amount in the DMV.. matter fact regardless of where you are you can get freelance opportunities via sites like guru.com or you can just reach out to startups or small companies about marketing for them.

Go ahead and learn html, css, adwords, email marketing, etc.. they’re not bout to teach you any of that in school but there plenty of free and cheap resources online.. I got you if you need any help

Chubbs

History Remembers Kings
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I’m in marketing and yeah you can make a lot of money.. not sure how many marketing jobs are available in south Florida but there’s a ridiculous amount in the DMV.. matter fact regardless of where you are you can get freelance opportunities via sites like guru.com or you can just reach out to startups or small companies about marketing for them.

Go ahead and learn html, css, adwords, email marketing, etc.. they’re not bout to teach you any of that in school but there plenty of free and cheap resources online.. I got you if you need any help
I'm a producer who makes money selling beats on the internet. What's the best marketing advice you could give someone like me to maximize sales?
Raum Beats
Raum Beats (@raumbeats) • Instagram photos and videos
Raum Beats (@RaumBeats) on Twitter

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
You should be good as long as your not going into debt, have a plan for what you want to do with the degree, and are actively trying to get some type of work experience or internship in your field