Is marketing a good major?

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
If there isn't a formal certification at the end of the career track ie Doctor, Lawyer, CPA, certain Engineering fields then that degree is worthless.

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps
:lupe:

For reference, I attend a middle of the pack public university, located in a major metropolitan area (Miami/South Florida)

I'd like to work in the marketing department of a Fortune 1000 company or a position at a notable marketing/advertising agency for a few years after I graduate, then start my own inbound marketing firm that partners with young companies & helps them pinpoint room for growth & sales in exchange for minority equity.

Is this a good plan? Is marketing a good major? Or am I destined to fail horribly?:lupe:
Networking is key my boy. It's not what you know but who you know. You can have a 4.0 gpa with a marketing degree from harvard but if the dude next to you knows the person hiring with a 3.5 gpa who you think is getting hired?

NAUGHTY

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Whorelando, FL
Lol Marketing students are the slackers of business students. Its because it's one of the "easier" business degrees. You ask most marketing students if marketing was their 1st choice and most will say no. One of my professors said this.

I'm a marekting student. I'm in my senior year but I'm taking a break off from school. Real shyt, I've learned more about marketing outside of school than being in school. Marketing is one those degrees that doesn't give you hard skills that translate well in the real world, like accounting or finance. That, and, it's too broad of a major if you don't know what type of marekting it is you want to do. Most marketing programs at universities only teach you the basics and barely get you into the specific types of marketing. Social media, email, digitial and affiliate marketing; these are all lucrative fields to get into. But you're gonna have to network your ass off and get into some good interships in order to get into areas for a career.

And as far as the job market, most entry level marketing jobs don't pay shyt. Most of these position will be with small, hole in the wall companies or sales jobs.

Oh, and you don't NEED a marketing degree to get into marketing. That's another thing your professors won't tell you. These companies will hire a Psychology major faster than a Marketing major if the Psych major is familiar with SEO or AdWords. Not even lying.

Overall, it is a very lucrative and rewarding career path, but you're going to have to put in more work for your own self than what school is giving you.

macadomusic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know marketing consultants get MAJOR cheese due to all these startups that keep popping up.

Music Fiend

Superstar
Daps
I never supported anyone getting a Business/marketing/advertising degree. Really makes no sense. Better to get a degree in a field you want to go to, then make a business out of that

Do business minded people get Business degrees? Yes. But those degrees/schools are geared towards management positions where you're working inside an existing business. But that's just me

Nah, marketing and advertising are great majors! A degree and so e effort can land you at a good agency. The downside is pay isnt high for newcomers, its a weed out industry. BUT if you stick to it for 5-7 years. You can make 70-150k at a chill place.

I work in advertising and am a strategist. By boss is 32 making 110k and thats a a small niche agency. You get to a big agency and you can expect 15% bonuses at the end of the year.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Every business needs marketing. I’m a small business owner and marketing is extremely important.

As far as majoring in it, that’s your call. An accountant by trade could potentially learn enough about marketing to do it well. If you want to be 10 toes down and major in it, go for it.

Google Tai Lopez. Breh makes bread strictly off marketing. Selling courses etc

invalid

Banned
Daps
Was president of a black business organization in undergrad. Let’s just say I tried to steer black business students who wanted to major in marketing into other business majors.