Is There A Link Between Creativity And Mental Illness?

Is There A Link Between Creativity And Mental Illness?

• Total voters

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I'm going to post a snippet from this article and then further indulge into it.

Is There a Link between Creativity and Mental Illness?

• Over a year ago
by PHILIP PERRY
GettyImages-457030941.jpg

Chester Bennington, late lead singer of Linkin Park. Getty Images.
The world was recently saddened with the deaths of rocker Chris Cornell and Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington. Each committed suicide after wrestling for years with major depression. Comedians, musicians, writers (gulp!), and other creative types are known to struggle with mental illness. This is by no means a new observation. Aristotle once said, “No great genius has ever existed without a strain of madness.”

Michelangelo, Beethoven, van Gogh, Emily dikkinson, and so many others who through their work, altered the course of human existence, were also known to wrestle with powerful inner demons. That doesn’t prove a link, however. We could as a society merely romanticize the artist riddled with madness and eccentricity. So has science found a link? And if so, what can it tell us about this relationship?

Is There a Link between Creativity and Mental Illness?

As you may know, I suffer from a mental illness and I have others that do too in my family. Some of them are undiagnosed, but you can tell. Anyway, while there may not be a direct link I think creativity and mental illness can go hand and hand into some ways. Why? Because most people with a mental illness have a creative sense of thinking. Look at people like Robin Williams and Kanye West. West while Bipolar and has admitted it is a extraordinary musical artist and producer. Why? The reason is that most people with the illness when focused can master a skill. Like how I am with computers and fitness. When I'm focused and in a warrior mood I'm on beast mode. However, I feel it's not a direct link, so I agree with this article.

It reminds me of this Black schizo girl Maya.

Anyway, what are your thoughts and I want serious responses. Because this isn't a troll thread.

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
creative mentally ill & broke

meanwhile the hyperlogical prey on the stereotypical artist like wolves do sheep

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Yes. They tend to think from outside the box & come up with random shyt a "normal" person might not even consider. "Logical" people have more of a direct approach.

Same approach as typical with men & women.

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Awsome thread. I draw and make cartoons, and got hella Bad ADD. Takes everything i got in me to sit there and focus/ process what people are talking about .

To busy creating worlds
:yeshrug:

I wonder How the drugs these artists get affect their mental illness?(we all know the handlers feed it to them)

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
A lot of "mentally ill creatives" are self diagnosed and simply think they are special and what they perceive to go through gives them a 1 up on society in some way
I'm not saying there isnt a link, but you shouln't trust any "mentally ill creative" that tells you that about themselves quickly