Is WWE now bigger than WCW in its prime?

Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee
Wassup my TSC fam :salute:. This question poped in my head just now and i figured it could turn into a good discussion\history lesson for us younger members on here. You hear about people(most recently Jeff Jarrett and GFW) trying to make a new wrestling company that can possibly compete with the E. But we all know that shyt is impossible since WWE is on such a higher plateau when it comes to professional wrestling. I mean the pro wrestling is so tied to wwe that when ever the word "wrestling" is brought up, a lot of people's first thought is WWE. It's a global brand that is known all over the world, they have their own video games and action figures, makes their own movies(even if them shyts is ass cheeks) wwe does it all. All this got me thinking, in their prime was WCW as big or even bigger than WWE now? I was born in 1997 during WCW's height so i wasn't old enough to actually see or experience how popular wcw was. Now of course i know WCW was huge during that time with the NWO and Goldberg. They were on the verge of putting wwe out of business and ratings wise they were killing WWF. But was WCW as globally known? If someone said the word's professional wrestling in 1998, did they think of WCW? Quite simply, during WCW's heyday, was it as big of a juggernaut as wwe is now and trying to compete them was a battle you weren't going to win no matter how hard you tried? Educate a young breh :lupe:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Nah...

It was just a different world back then, as cliche as it sounds. WWE right now is a big business because of its history/familiarity/etc. but by comparison, it's been bigger at different times. This isn't even WWE at its most mainstream.

In '97, WCW was huge, it was pretty much the reason wrestling was returning to mainstream popularity. That time period was the biggest WCW was, it was when you saw people wearing NWO shirts, when you saw Hogan/DDP/etc. doing cross promotion with Jay Leno, NBA stars, etc... WCW in '97 was def. bigger than WWE is now. If you mentioned wrestling to someone who might not necessarily watch wrestling, they probably only knew about people who were in WCW at the time.

El Cocodrilo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
because of the internet everything is bigger now than it was in the 90's

as in, more people give a fukk

but

less of those things with massive followings are relevant to the mainstream

so it depends on your definition of what's big i think

wwe is supposedly making more money than ever, but most people see it as something that used to be good

Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee
Nah...

It was just a different world back then, as cliche as it sounds. WWE right now is a big business because of its history/familiarity/etc. but by comparison, it's been bigger at different times. This isn't even WWE at its most mainstream.

In '97, WCW was huge, it was pretty much the reason wrestling was returning to mainstream popularity. That time period was the biggest WCW was, it was when you saw people wearing NWO shirts, when you saw Hogan/DDP/etc. doing cross promotion with Jay Leno, NBA stars, etc... WCW in '97 was def. bigger than WWE is now. If you mentioned wrestling to someone who might not necessarily watch wrestling, they probably only knew about people who were in WCW at the time.
Appreciate that history lesson breh :salute:

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
Nah...

In 97, WCW was bigger, but I don't think it was ever a point where people knew the WCW guys over Austin... Austin was getting pretty hot around that time. WCW was more popular but honestly most people still watched both.

Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee
because of the internet everything is bigger now than it was in the 90's

as in, more people give a fukk

but

less of those things with massive followings are relevant to the mainstream

so it depends on your definition of what's big i think

wwe is supposedly making more money than ever, but most people see it as
something that used to be good
That's are some good points breh. Thanks for the input.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
In 97, WCW was bigger, but I don't think it was ever a point where people knew the WCW guys over Austin... Austin was getting pretty hot around that time. WCW was more popular but honestly most people still watched both.

Nah..everyone knew who Sting was..when are Austin's hottest point by 98.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
The WWF was always more well known than WCW even when WCW was winning the ratings. From the 80s to the present wrestling has always been more associated with the WWF/WWE in the United States. It didn't help that at the time WCW was on top they had a bunch of former WWE guys around (Hogan, The Outsiders, Piper, Savage).

WCW was seen as more "cool" in late 1996-early 1998 but if you had a choice on going to Wrestlemania or Starrcade during that period you probably were going to Wrestlemania .

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
The WWF was always more well known than WCW even when WCW was winning the ratings. From the 80s to the present wrestling has always been more associated with the WWF/WWE in the United States. It didn't help that at the time WCW was on top they had a bunch of former WWE guys around (Hogan, The Outsiders, Piper, Savage).

WCW was seen as more "cool" in late 1996-early 1998 but if you had a choice on going to Wrestlemania or Starrcade during that period you probably were going to Wrestlemania .

Yea there wasn't ever a time wcw was bigger than wwf

Wcw didn't get poppin till it became flooded with wwf stars

The only homegrown wcw stars are Flair and Sting. Maybe we can throw Luger, Sid, and a few others.

Wwf took people from the wcw midcard and made them legends

Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee

That explanation :wow:. good looking on the perspective breh :salute:. So i assume you actually lived through this time period. What were you more of a fan of WCW or WWF?

Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee
So just like i asked the homie above, for the ones who actually lived through wcw and wwf battling for ratings, what were ya'll more of a fan of and why? :lupe:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
So just like i asked the homie above, for the ones who actually lived through wcw and wwf battling for ratings, what were ya'll more of a fan of and why? :lupe:

I've always been more of a WWF/WWE guy going back to the 80s...and then in the 90's I just never switched over fully to WCW. But WCW/NWO era brought in alot of new/casual fans. Some of them stuck around but most of them prob dont watch wrestling anymore.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi

This just isn't true
Because down south wcw was way more popular than WWF
And up north WWF was more popular

It just depends where you were during that time