Jamaica bans music that glorifies drug use and violence

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Again, you're missing that this is only a component in larger efforts to reduce crime.

But lets say it does NOTHING to reduce crime, it is still a net positive because the content they are banning literally glorifies drug use and violence. That alone is worth it.
No, I'm not. I just don't see the point if it didn't work before.

They are using an argument for morality to shift blame to creatives and not the root cause of their problems.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
No, I'm not. I just don't see the point if it didn't work before.

They are using an argument for morality to shift blame to creatives and not the root cause of their problems.

They are using no such argument.

here's the press release:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
They are using no such argument.

here's the press release:
If they are making determinations on what words/samples/music are and aren't harmful, they are.

Regardless, we'll see if this one works better than the last attempt. Given how much music is consumed now via internet, it will likely have little no effect and serve mainly as a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
If they are making determinations on what words/samples/music are and aren't harmful, they are.

Regardless, we'll see if this one works better than the last attempt. Given how much music is consumed now via internet, it will likely have little no effect and serve mainly as a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.

They are making a determination that they are not going to platform content that promotes drug use or violence/

:gucci:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
They are making a determination that they are not going to platform content that promotes drug use or violence/

:gucci:
They banned murder, arson, sex, daggering in 2009, and drug use and violence in 2022.

Useless.

The music will still be made and listened to. Its political grandstanding and will not change the actual issues in their society.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
They banned murder, arson, sex, daggering in 2009, and drug use and violence in 2022.

Useless.

The music will still be made and listened to. Its political grandstanding and will not change the actual issues in their society.

Is there any value in your opinion in a country banning music that promotes drug use and violence?

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Is there any value in your opinion in a country banning music that promotes drug use and violence?
In Jamaica's case, not really. They only banned it on a media platform they can control.

Any imagined value of this action is cancelled by the music's wide availability elsewhere. To me, it just makes constituents angry at wasted tax dollars instead of allocating resources to something more productive.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
In Jamaica's case, not really. They only banned it on a media platform they can control.

Any imagined value of this action is cancelled by the music's wide availability elsewhere. To me, it just makes constituents angry at wasted tax dollars instead of allocating resources to something more productive.

Can you explain how it costs money to ban content that promotes drug use or violence?

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Can you explain how it costs money to ban content that promotes drug use or violence?

This...
said it was th end product of a wide-ranging process that included focused monitoring, decoding of subculture dialect and urban slangs, deliberations on balancing free expression vis-à-vis protection from harm, and consultations with Industry.

...costs money, along with ongoing monitoring.

Like I said, we'll see what happens. I don't think it'll help one bit but you're free to disagree.

Juneya

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Panola Road
Anyone saying this won't work is a fukking c00n..

Compare your local urban station to your local pop/urban radio station..
You hear so many types of songs.. happy . Sad.. ballets .. all types of shyt on other stations..

Ours. Non stop murder, kill , drugs , sex. Non fukking stop...

And when u see kids standing on cars twerking.. it definitely is not influenced by music.. smh

All of our music they play on the radio is just poison

clown ass c00n. STFU.

Our music is many different types of songs too. You just hear negative when you turn on the radio because you are a racist.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So much of what's popping with Black Americans isn't on the radio right now.

Just like there's a ton of metal and punk bands with hundreds of thousands of fans who aren't on the radio.

The radio in 2022 IS NOT a good way to measure what is cool with Black Americans. Especially when whole genres are barely being represented but are still consumed by largely black audiences like Soul and R&B.

A lot of people expose themselves in these threads and it's really telling who is or isn't hip to what's going on right now.

Or worse you don't subscribe to the notion that Black people are consuming content you deem "positive" because they are to "backwards" culturally to appreciate it.