Josephine Baker To Be First Black Woman Buried in Paris’s Pantheon

invalid

Banned
Daps
Josephine Baker to Be Honored With a Panthéon Burial

Ms. Baker will be the first Black woman to be entombed in the Panthéon in Paris, a symbolic move amid racial tensions in France.

22france-baker1-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

Josephine Baker, who was born Freda Josephine McDonald in 1906 in St. Louis, in Paris in the 1920s.Credit...Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
By Constant Méheut

Aug. 22, 2021

PARIS — Josephine Baker, an American-born Black dancer and civil rights activist who in the early 20th century became one of France’s great music-hall stars, will be laid to rest in the Panthéon, France’s storied tomb of heroes, a close adviser to President Emmanuel Macron said on Sunday.

The honor will make Ms. Baker — who became a French citizen in 1937 and died in Paris in 1975 — the first Black woman and one of very few foreign-born figures to be interred there. The Panthéon houses the remains of some of France’s most revered, including Victor Hugo, Marie Curie and Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

The decision to transfer Ms. Baker’s remains, which are buried in Monaco, comes after a petition calling for the move, started by the writer Laurent Kupferman, caught the attention of Mr. Macron. The petition has garnered nearly 40,000 signatures over the past two years.

Mr. Kupferman suggested that Mr. Macron approved the reinterment “because, probably, Josephine Baker embodies the Republic of possibilities.”

“How could a woman who came from a discriminated and very poor background achieve her destiny and become a world star?” Mr. Kupferman said. “That was possible in France at a time when it was not in the United States.”

Entombment at the Panthéon can be approved only by a president, and Ms. Baker’s reinterment is highly symbolic, coming as France has been convulsed by heated culture wars over its model of social integration, and as gender and raceissues have fractured the country around new political front lines.

The news was first reported by Le Parisien newspaper. The funeral will take place on Nov. 30.

Ms. Baker, born Freda Josephine McDonald in 1906 in St. Louis, started her career as a dancer in New York in the early 1920s before heading to France, where she quickly became a sensation.

She said that she had been motivated to move abroad because of discrimination that she had endured in the United States. “I just couldn’t stand America, and I was one of the first colored Americans to move to Paris,” she told The Guardian newspaper in 1974.

Along with other Black American artists — including the writers Richard Wright and James Baldwin — Ms. Baker said she found in France a freedom that she felt denied in the United States.
merlin_193544811_c89faf30-c0bc-4a7a-99ac-963589f99fb9-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

Ms. Baker in 1961. During World War II, she served as an ambulance driver and an intelligence agent, earning her medals of honor. Credit...Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
In Paris, Ms. Baker quickly rose to fame and became a fixture in shows at Les Folies Bergères, a famous music hall, dominating France’s cabarets with her sense of humor, her frantic dancing and her iconic songs, like “J’ai Deux Amours,” or “I Have Two Loves.”

But part of her artistic career was also built around stereotyped and erotic dances, like the so-called banana dance. The dances were riddled with racist tropes once associated with Black women and their bodies in a colonial France then fascinated with Black and African arts, prompting some activists at the time to denounce her for fueling those caricatures.

But Pap Ndiaye, a historian who specializes in Black studies, said in 2019 on France Culture radio that Ms. Baker had specifically used the stereotypes in her acts, deriding them as much as she exaggerated them.

“It is this French colonial imaginary world which she will capture and which she will play with, obviously with many nods and much distance, because Josephine Baker is not fooled,” Mr. Ndiaye said.

Ms. Baker later became a passionate civil rights advocate in the United States. She wrote about racial equality, refused to perform in segregated venues and, in 1963, joined the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. onstage to speak during the March on Washington.

In recent years, French authorities have responded to growing calls to inter more women in the Panthéon, where the vast majority of those buried are men. In 2014, Germaine Tillion and Geneviève de Gaulle-Anthonioz, who fought in the French Resistance to the Nazis, were awarded the honor, and Simone Veil, a health minister who championed France’s legalization of abortion, was laid to rest there in 2018.

Ms. Baker’s burial at the Panthéon, by nature of it being the first awarded to a Black woman, could prove politically beneficial for Mr. Macron as debates over racial discrimination are raging in Franceless than a year before the 2022 presidential elections. But Sunday’s announcement may also give fuel to the animosity over France’s model of integration, which Mr. Macron’s government has heated up recently.

Supporters of moving Ms. Baker’s remains to the Panthéon have said that it was France’s so-called universalist model — purportedly secular, colorblind and of equal opportunity — that allowed her to perform in France when she could not in the United States. But this model has also come under severe criticism recently, with some critics, especially among young minorities, accusing it of masking widespread racism and of comprising unfulfilled ideals.

The reinterment will also afford France the chance to celebrate Ms. Baker’s life outside the arts. During World War II, she served as an ambulance driver and an intelligence agent, earning her medals of honor. And in the 1950s, Ms. Baker adopted a dozen orphans of various nationalities, races and religions, with whom she lived in a chateau in southwestern France.

Will American Ideas Tear France Apart? Some of Its Leaders Think So

invalid

Banned
Daps
fukk symbolic gestures without policy measures or tangibles.

The French “touts” that they are a “color blind” society, so any policy measures that targets a specific race would then be an acknowledgement of race. I think even when they take their census, there is no place to designate race.

Obviously, in a society that does not acknowledge race, they obviously can’t acknowledge racism, and the black citizens have no formal way to address it so they suffer. @MischievousMonkey can speak more on it.

Definitely a symbolic measure.

I’m also curious why they couldn’t find an Afro-French to elevate?

It’s almost the same argument some on this side of the pond might say about the elevation of certain people to high office who may not be seen as ‘native’.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
The French “touts” that they are a “color blind” society, so any policy measures that targets a specific race would then be an acknowledgement of race. I think even when they take their census, there is no place to designate race.

Obviously, in a society that does not acknowledge race, they obviously can’t acknowledge racism, and the black citizens have no formal way to address it so they suffer. @MischievousMonkey can speak more on it.

It’s almost the same argument some on this side of the pond might say about the elevation of certain people to high office who may not be seen as ‘native’.
Yep, your post is very accurate.

It's cool that Josephine Baker gets this honor, even though as the article points out, the decision is strategic in trying to maintain Paris' status as a multicultural metropolis and France's reputation as an enlightened society attracting and hosting greatness from everywhere. James Baldwin gets the same treatment.

Since local black activists piggybacked on last year American's protests to highlight France's hypocrisy when it comes to racism and discrimination, choosing Josephine Baker acts as a retort that an Afro-french could not possibly offer. "She came from the US and said herself that she did not meet racism here, even back then, therefore, you're ungrateful for complaining about a problem that doesn't exist", basically.

What they don't realize is that they show yet another resemblance with their white counterparts in the US; just like you said, both groups will use foreign Black people as a way to mitigate the Black locals' efforts.

invalid

Banned
Daps
"Europe is better for us..let's move there brehs"
-Random coli buck

And when I got to New York way back then, I had other blows—when they would not let me check into the good hotels because I was colored, or eat in certain restaurants. And then I went to Atlanta, and it was a horror to me. And I said to myself, My God, I am Josephine, and if they do this to me, what do they do to the other people in America?

You know, friends, that I do not lie to you when I tell you I have walked into the palaces of kings and queens and into the houses of presidents. And much more. But I could not walk into a hotel in America and get a cup of coffee, and that made me mad. And when I get mad, you know that I open my big mouth. And then look out, ‘cause when Josephine opens her mouth, they hear it all over the world.

:manny:

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Word, I’m well aware and that’s why it rings especially hollow. Idk if it’s still the case but I remember learning a decade or so ago that the French didn’t even track statistics along racial lines to recognize discrepancies. Just because their ideology says “we’re all French”. It’s a special type of racism. Maybe not as psychotic as American racism but just as real.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
This is a good story. Baker had already received the highest honors for that country while she was alive. So while they acknowledge that it is symbolic, they're not reaching to pull some obscure person to honor.

Black Ex-pats from the Western hemisphere(artists) wrote about the relative freedom of movement in Europe in that era. I don't see how anybody could question that when compared to legal, social suffocating restrictions and Jim Crow terrorism in America at the same time.

Racial history and dynamics are different in former slave colonies (like USA), than in the mother countries of those colonies.
The Euro countries had colonies where slavery took place. Enslaved Africans and then colonized Africans lived in those colonies. The European countries themselves had relatively few Blacks.
Baker and the other ex-pats from former colonies were in Europe before Windrush in UK or Bumidom in France.
Euro countries have been dealing directly with social and legal issues of race for roughly 75 years. Her former colonies have been dealing with them for 400+ years.