Josephine Baker To Be First Black Woman Buried in Paris’s Pantheon

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
It’s almost the same argument some on this side of the pond might say about the elevation of certain people to high office who may not be seen as ‘native’.

What they don't realize is that they show yet another resemblance with their white counterparts in the US; just like you said, both groups will use foreign Black people as a way to mitigate the Black locals' efforts.

How/What would explain Cesaire being given the honor? and earlier than Baker?

The island he's from, Martinique was, and remains part of France.

The argument is usually presented as whites giving/allowing/favoring a foreign Black over a native born Black.

Baker passed away over 30 years before Cesaire. Yet he was given this honor in 2011.

invalid

Banned
Daps

The argument is usually presented as whites giving/allowing/favoring a foreign Black over a native born Black.

Baker passed away over 30 years before Cesaire. Yet he was given this honor in 2011.

I guess my astonishment was in her being the first black woman. The black American ex-pat community is so minuscule that I wouldn’t even think of Josephine as a consideration compared to the millions of Afro-French within France and its former colonies. Even the fact that Cesaire is the only contemporary black person to have bestowed that honor before her is quite astonishing. No one from Haiti? Cameroon? Cote D’ Ivoire? No one born in France?

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps

I'm not saying that French citizens of African descent don't receive these honors or that they are simply getting overlooked for Black folks from elsewhere.

My point is that the timing of this particular selection is purposive and serves as a defense of French colorblind multiculturalism at a moment when it is heavily challenged and juxtaposed to the US model, especially by local black activists. A Fanon, let's say, would not really be appropriate right now.

So it's not about competing with other Black folks for places in the French pantheon (I doubt any legitimate candidate would see it that way anyway), but more so about how white folks, wherever they at, will pick the example of some foreign Black people and dress it as a rebuttal to the Black locals' criticisms.