Juggling Job Offers and a Potential

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The way I see it, companies fire people for reasons beyond the employee's control all the time. And I'm sure you'll be considered an "at will" employee, so they could technically fire you for any reason that isn't blatantly discriminatory. So why feel obligated to stay if you get a better job offer elsewhere, even if you just started?

I agree with what other posters are saying. Take the sure thing and dip if you get an offer from the bank.

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
This is probably the wrong forum to ask this question :mjpls: ....

I aced my interview today and I am meeting with a district manager that wants me to start this week before she is going on vacation next week. The job is part-time retail with no benefits.

However, I aced an interview yesterday with a bank, their district manager is also going on vacation next week so they stated that it would take time to get back to the applicants.

Both jobs have the same wage but of course the bank job has better hours, full benefits and paid training in DC.

What to do? Should I accept one knowing I *might* get another job offer? Or do I ask to postpone my decision and risk losing a sure thing?

Idk if the fact that the first job was willing to hire me so quickly means that there are no other applicants... :patrice:
She mentioned she was trying to hire two new managers.
Take the sure thing. It's always best to weigh options when you are employed. If the other job comes though simply leave the retail job for it.

And send me some money.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Take the sure thing. It's always best to weigh options when you are employed. If the other job comes though simply leave the retail job for it.

And send me some money.
I'll buy you dinner (make that lunch) when we meet up. :whoa: I dont want no problems with Mrs. Fonsworth
Myfreecams :mjpls:
:riripls:

BujuBoombastic

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Take the sure thing and quit if the bank job offers you a full-time position. Like other posters said. Screw the companies feelings. They don't care about you. Even if they do "care" you have goals to achieve. Take the sure thing and make some money.

I'd like to open my own health store. The retail job will help me learn operations. My whole work history is in retail tho. The bank job will help me learn about finances and comes with perks on services and products. The bank job is what I want but there's lots of competition.

That's actually a good plan. I see why you want the bank position. I hope they offer you the position because you have a great mind. Best of luck to you Cinna and in the near future, when you have your store and everything together, I would love to visit your store one day. Hopefully, you bless a yardie with a discount. :biggrin:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A retail job probably is not preparing you for whatever career you ultimately want.
A bank job probably looks better on the resume.

And if the pay is the same (or even slightly less), I'd take the bank job.

You have to think long term.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Thanks brehskis, I ran out of rep to give.
Take the sure thing and quit if the bank job offers you a full-time position. Like other posters said. Screw the companies feelings. They don't care about you. Even if they do "care" you have goals to achieve. Take the sure thing and make some money.

That's actually a good plan. I see why you want the bank position. I hope they offer you the position because you have a great mind. Best of luck to you Cinna and in the near future, when you have your store and everything together, I would love to visit your store one day. Hopefully, you bless a yardie with a discount. :biggrin:
There's actually a full time position available the other two locations are part-time. Thanks bredden! I appreciate the love and support. I'd def offer you a coli discount.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
That's what I was worried about. :lupe:

One of the reasons they are ready to hire me so quickly is because I worked for that company previously. So I'm already halfway trained, only this time I'll be managing.

If you get an offer from the bank, tell them you interviewed for both jobs but took the sure thing at first. Let them know the other is full time with benefits & I imagine they wouldn't be mad at you. Just be honest & handle it like an professional. Also give them at least a weeks notice if possible

I_Got_Da_Burna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd like to open my own health store. The retail job will help me learn operations. My whole work history is in retail tho. The bank job will help me learn about finances and comes with perks on services and products. The bank job is what I want but there's lots of competition.

At the group interview, I believe I was the most qualified. But the hiring manager does interviews for the DC area twice a week. The others had restaurant and administrative experience. The bank emphasizes sales but so does the retail job.

take the bank job. your personal relationship with the bank is more important than learning operations in retail, especially since you've worked in retail your entire life.

work at the retail place until the bank calls. TACKFULLY resign from the retail place...no one is going to hold it against you for taking a better opportunity for yourself. any company who says otherwise is a bullshyt company.