Just Got Fired From My Job This Morning For Being "Racially Inappropriate".

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
no doubt...unless you're working at a 'black' school....forget the racial jokes breh

it wouldnt have mattered if he lied or not...they already had their minds made up to fire breh

Nah. If they tried to fire him for those first two comments, that was an easy work-related lawsuit he could have filed.

I've helped co-workers file formal complaints about unfair firings. If they fired him for those two comments, not only could he have filed for unfair termination, but could also pull racial discrimination as well. :ufdup:

Archangel

Banned
Daps
When you made that white plains joke did you get crickets or did they laugh?
Of course they laughed. They're middle school kids. That was my 2nd time teaching at that school because they asked me to come back because the students and the faculty loved me that much. Like some one said in here earlier, I got too comfortable.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
OP you deserved to lose your job for making that last comment. The joke itself doesn't bother me but the fact you felt you had to say it in a all white middle school classroom. Honestly you deserve to lose it for not exercising pure common sense. The "Maybe I shouldn't say this" filter did not go off in your head but it goes off in mine every got damn day and I opt to say nothing at my job outside of job related topics, movies and sports.

I am sure plenty of plenty will not cosign this but I never cosign A lack of common sense.

Lesson learned. I admit the last comment was out of bounds. I'm just moreso upset as to why I lost my job after the first offense. But I guess that's just how things are when it comes to racial comments such as that one. Like I said, I owned my mistake. I'll take that L and keep it moving.

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
It was the white plains joke that got you fired....cacs are in full victim outrage feigning mode right now. The rest were just thrown in there to show a "pattern" so you cant go back and protest for an unjust firing.

Exactly. White Plains joke was all they needed tbh.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
That sucks. I've got a loose way with words too, so I'll refrain from criticizing you. I hope you land on your feet soon though.

Study Finds Students Of All Races Prefer Teachers Of Color

"Do you speak English?"

When Hua-Yu Sebastian Cherng walked into his summer school classroom for the first time as a brand-new teacher, a student greeted him with this question. Nothing in his training had prepared him to address race and identity. But he was game, answering the student lightly, "Yes, I do, but this is a math class, so you don't have to worry about it."

"Oh my gosh, was that racist?" he says the girl asked, and quickly checked her own assumption: "'That's exactly like when I go into a store and people follow me around because I'm black.'"

During the time that Cherng, who is of Chinese descent, taught in an 85 percent African-American middle school in San Francisco, he enjoyed a good rapport with his students, and he wondered what role his own identity played in that.

Now Cherng is a sociologist at New York University and he's just published a paper with colleague Peter Halpin that addresses this question. It seems that students of all races — white, black, Latino, and Asian — have more positive perceptions of their black and Latino teachers than they do of their white teachers.

student evaluations used in many undergraduate classrooms, this particular student self-report measure may be more valid because of its thoroughness; it's been independently linked to student learning gains on standardized tests.

Cherng and Halpin found that all the students, including white students, had significantly more favorable perceptions of Latino versus white teachers across the board, and had significantly more favorable perceptions of black versus white teachers on at least two or three of seven categories in the survey.

The strongest positive relationship was the flipside of what Cherng experienced in his own classroom: Asian-American students had very rosy views of their black teachers.

The relationship persisted after controlling for students' age, gender, their free and reduced-price lunch status and their academic performance. The researchers also controlled for other factors like the teacher's level of experience and education, their gender, and even outside expert ratings of the teachers' effectiveness, based on classroom observations.

No matter what, students had warmer perceptions of their teachers of color.

Cherng calls the findings "surprising."

"I thought student awareness of the racial hierarchy would influence the results," in favor of whites, he says.

Other studies have found evidence for "race matching," or the idea that students and teachers of the same race or ethnicity perceive each other more favorably. And NPR Ed recently covered research on "implicit bias," the idea that teachers of all races look less favorably on students of color.

"We're not done," investigating this finding, Cherng says.

His working theory is that teachers of color score more highly because of their ability to draw on their own experiences to address issues of race and gender, which, he says, can be highly germane even to teaching subjects like math, especially in America's majority-minority public schools. He's currently working on a series of studies that look at preservice teachers and teacher training, to provide more evidence about the relationship between teachers' multicultural beliefs and awareness and their effectiveness in the classroom.

As a math teacher, and now a sociology professor, Cherng was never prepared to really understand or address race or gender dynamics in the classroom. But, he says, there may be good evidence that these are essential tools to being a good teacher, period.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Lesson learned. I admit the last comment was out of bounds. I'm just moreso upset as to why I lost my job after the first offense. But I guess that's just how things are when it comes to racial comments such as that one. Like I said, I owned my mistake. I'll take that L and keep it moving.

Just don't talk anything political or racial at your job. I work in IT and literally every race and religion is under this company roof. I don't talk about politics, race, religion, women's right because you literally have no idea whose going to be offended at what. We had an arcade cabinet taken out the game room because someone was offended there was a girl in a bikini on the side of it. I pull the same shyt at work I do on the Coli, when someone starts asking me about topic I don't touch I go into "You know, Bojangles got the 2 for 3 biscuit, I'm going to try that for lunch." They laugh then we segway into lunch and food convo.