Koch Network to spend $400 million on 2018 Midterm Elections

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Whoever runs in 2020 needs to add major campaign finance reform to their agenda. :francis:
:pachaha:Neither side is seriously interested in campaign finance reform... and even if they were, I’m not sure it’s even possible.

If you limit/remove federal reserve notes from the equation, I think the lobbying would simply take a different(more difficult to see/track) form.
Possibly making things worse.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
After reading Dark Money by Jane Mayer I was able to grasp just how much influence they have.
Its not just what they spend directly, its their indirect spending over the years, the organizations they've brought together, the warping of influential higher education, the control they have over think tanks, etc.

Its insane to conceive.

"Big money" needs to be firmly banned from state and national elections, but I think we're all aware that won't happen here in the US.

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
They’re about to blow $400 million dollars. Those idiots will not know what hit them in November.

y'all better hope so down there. i wouldn't be so confident. that gets democrats in trouble.

400 million, man. fukk. that's going so far beyond purely selfish rich dude reasons, like tax breaks or less regulations and stuff, as if that type of shyt should even be normalized and expected in the first place, but it's these super-wealthy guys trying to literally mold the country into whatever vision they have for it. people love talk about "the oligarchy!" and shyt but it's really plutocracy that's the problem.

sure, there's some carry-over between the two but still. that small group is and has been trending faster and faster with more and more influence towards the billionaire class. especially after the citizens united ruling.

and now with gorsuch on the bench...you're basically fukked on that front. unless there's some other way around the supreme court i don't know about. like what could there be? a constitutional amendment to free speech or something? good luck with that.

and that's ignoring the whole lobbying racket. another critical issue when it comes to the whole 'money in politics' thing.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
After reading Dark Money by Jane Mayer I was able to grasp just how much influence they have.
Its not just what they spend directly, its their indirect spending over the years, the organizations they've brought together, the warping of influential higher education, the control they have over think tanks, etc.

Its insane to conceive.

"Big money" needs to be firmly banned from state and national elections, but I think we're all aware that won't happen here in the US.
I need to find time to finish this book. Started it and put it down. Life got in the way and I had to put it on the back burner.

Reading Understanding Power by Chomsky right now in between school work. Will pick this one back up afterward.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Kochs and their donors worry Trump is jeopardizing GOP chances in midterms
Concerned, the Kochs are beginning to implement their strategy to protect Republican majorities in the House and Senate in November

Associated Press in Indian Wells, California

The Koch brothers and their powerful donor network worry that Donald Trump’s behavior is obscuring his achievements and jeopardizing Republicans’ chances of success in this year’s midterm elections.

That was the message coming out of a private retreat in the California desert this weekend.

“President Trump is not helping get many Republicans elected,” said Tom Shepherd, a Cincinnati-based businessman who joined roughly 550 Koch donors in Indian Wells.

“I think he’s doing more harm than good because he’s distracting people from the good work which is happening, which is either happening because of him or in spite of him.”

The Kochs are beginning to implement their strategy to protect Republican majorities in the House and Senate in November.

The GOP has no more powerful ally than the Kochs’ vast political and policy network, which has long been demonized by the left and revered by the right for its short- and long-term efforts to reshape US politics and culture.

In California, the Koch network’s chief lieutenants renewed their vow to spend up to $400m on politics and policy relevant to the midterms.

That would be more than the combined resources spent by the Republican National Committee, the National Rifle Association and the Chamber of Commerce in the 2016 election cycle.

The Koch network’s 2018 investment includes $20m to help sell the recent tax overhaul to a skeptical American public through a series of public rallies, phone banking and paid advertising.

Despite the extraordinary investment, the men and women who filled the luxury resort outside Palm Springs acknowledged a difficult road ahead.

Some blamed history more than the regular distractions from Trump. The party in the White House traditionally struggles in the first midterms of a new presidency.

“It’s a challenge regardless of the president,” said Tim Phillips, president of the Kochs’ political arm, Americans for Prosperity.

But the donors who pledged at least $100,000 this year to the Koch network – there were an estimated 550 on hand – were less cautious when asked about the president’s leadership.

Many opposed his candidacy before the 2016 election. The Kochs themselves refused to endorse Trump.

“I didn’t support him,” said Frank Baxter, a retired investment banker from California who was ambassador to Uruguay under George W Bush. “The results are kind of changing my mind.”

Like others, he praised the tax overhaul, Trump’s judicial appointments and regulatory cuts. He added: “I still don’t like what he says or does.”

Gary Lynch, whose Iowa livestock business employs roughly 700 people, said he and his business have benefited from the tax overhaul. He said, however, that Trump’s behavior “doesn’t help” his party promote the benefits of the plan.

“He hasn’t got it down yet,” Lynch said, noting that he doesn’t mind Trump’s style personally.

Another former Trump critic, North Carolina-based donor Art Pope, said he was warming to the president as well.

“The policies of this administration have really benefited the American people,” Pope said, though he was still worried about the political climate, adding: “It’s going to be a tough election.”

Democrats need to pick up at least 24 seats to claim the House for the last two years of Trump’s first term. Recent wins in Alabama and Virginia, backed by Trump’s low approval ratings, suggest the GOP is in trouble.

Asked about his party’s 2018 prospects, Representative Mark Meadows, of North Carolina, one of a handful of elected officials who attended the Koch conference, acknowledged that the House majority is at risk.

“I can make the case for losing 18 seats and no more” he said. “I can make the case for 28 seats. It’s a long ways off. It depends what we do between now and November.”

As the Koch donors met, Trump intensified a feud with the rapper Jay-Z. The musician said the president’s reported vulgar comments about African countries and Haiti were “disappointing” and “hurtful”.

Trump punched back on Twitter, urging his followers to tell Jay-Z that “because of my policies,” unemployment among black Americans is at the “LOWEST RATE EVER RECORDED!”

At the Koch retreat, Trump donor Doug Deason said he enjoyed the president’s social media habits, which he said allowed him to speak directly to the people.

“I don’t think it helps. I don’t think it hurts,” Deason said. He noted that the Koch network would “spend a lot of money” to ensure the benefits of the tax overhaul aren’t overshadowed by any distractions.

“Who gives a crap about Jay-Z?” Deason asked. “I don’t.”

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
KOCH DOCUMENT REVEALS LAUNDRY LIST OF POLICY VICTORIES EXTRACTED FROM THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION
Lee Fang, Nick Surgey

February 25 2018, 7:00 a.m.
In partnership with

IN THE BACKDROP of a chaotic first year of Donald Trump’s presidency, the conservative Koch brothers have won victory after victory in their bid to reshape American government to their interests.

Documents obtained by The Intercept and Documented show that the network of wealthy donors led by billionaire industrialists Charles and David Koch have taken credit for a laundry list of policy achievements extracted from the Trump administration and their allies in Congress.

The donors have pumped campaign contributions not only to GOP lawmakers, but also to an array of third-party organizations that have pressured officials to act swiftly to roll back limits on pollution, approve new pipeline projects, and extend the largest set of upper-income tax breaks in generations.

“This year, thanks in part to research and outreach efforts across institutions, we have seen progress on many regulatory priorities this Network has championed for years,” the memo notes. The documenthighlights environmental issues that the Koch brothers have long worked to undo, such as the EPA Clean Power Plan, which is currently under the process of being formally repealed, and Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement, among their major accomplishments. The memo also highlighted administration efforts to walk back planned rules to strengthen the estate tax in a list of 13 regulatory decisions favored by the network.

The network’s political operation includes a polling and research outfit, Capitol Hill lobbyists, several hundred field staff, groups designed to air campaign ads, and an assortment of grassroots groups set up to appeal to certain constituencies. The LIBRE Initiative is a network group geared toward selling Koch policy ideas to Latino communities. Generation Opportunity works to reach out to millennials and college students; Veterans For America for veterans and military-minded voters.

Koch Seminar Network6 pages

To win support for the Republican tax legislation, the Koch network claims that it organized over 100 rallies in 36 states, contacted over 1.8 million activists, and knocked on over 33,000 doors. The group also spent freely on digital and television advertisements, with $1.6 million in TV spots to support the legislation in Wisconsin alone.

As The Intercept previously reported, the Koch network told its surrogates to downplay concern over the deficit, a major issue they raised during the Obama administration, in order to convince lawmakers to support the package.

Days after the tax bill passed, Charles Koch and his wife donated $500,000to Speaker Paul Ryan’s joint fundraising leadership PAC, which has a heightened threshold for donations.

Koch by the Numbers2 pages

Despite some public antagonism over Trump — including flirtations with replacing him as the nominee with Ryan at the Republican National Convention — the Koch brothers have enjoyed incredible access with his administration. The president’s lawyer, Don McGahn; the president’s chief liaison to Congress, Marc Short; and the president’s counselor, Kellyanne Conway all previously worked for the Koch network before taking their current positions in the White House. Ethics forms reveal that officialsacross the government, including at the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy, previously served at Koch think tanks or other Koch groups. Vice President Mike Pence also maintains a very close relationship with the Koch brothers.

The Koch brothers are also hoping to fundamentally reshape other aspects of American society, including labor unions and the judiciary.

The memo details efforts to weaken the power of labor unions, including a broad attack on private sector labor unions in states controlled by Republicans in 2017. Meanwhile, the memo notes that the Trump administration has shelved a number of Obama-era rules that were viewed as too friendly to workers and labor unions, including the Overtime Rule and the Joint Employer Rule. The latter would have reduced the barriers for workers at franchise businesses, like fast food outlets, to form a union.

“Labor reform is not an overnight process; advancing major federal labor reform requires a long-term strategy,” it adds. To that point, the Koch network plans to press forward with the Employee Rights Act, legislation to extend right-to-work laws nationally and set up new barriers for labor activists hoping to form new unions.

The memo notes that they believe Justice Anthony Kennedy will soon retire, and the effort to replace him will be “far more contentious” than the effort to confirm Justice Neil Gorsuch.

“If President Trump nominates a principled, constructionist nominee for Justice Kennedy’s seat or any other vacant seat, we anticipate engaging with both grassroots and under-the-dome tactics, bringing paid and earned media and events to support the confirmation.” The memo notes that the network sponsored pressure effort on Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D.; and Joe Donnelly, D-Ind., all of whom eventually voted to confirm Gorsuch.

In Indian Wells, California, last month, the network held a retreat with 700 donors. Several journalists were invited to attend as long as they promised not to name the donors present.

Operatives from the network also led sessions to explain how to move forward into the midterm elections. The Koch brothers intend to spend $400 million to preserve the Republican majority in Congress and maintain GOP power at the state level.

In recent days, Koch network groups have purchased ads targeting Democratic lawmakers in key elections across the country. This week, a new ad began airing in Missouri criticizing Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, who is up for re-election this year.

“We’ve made more progress in the last five years than I had in the last 50,” Charles Koch reportedly said. “The capabilities we have now can take us to a whole new level.”