Let's Talk Afro-Geopolitics: Future of the Eastern African community,Somali areas & Ethiopia

Cognito

All Star
Daps
How the EU starves Africa into submission - CapX

It is estimated that of all the food items imported by African countries, nearly 83 per cent comes from outside the continent. The rest comes from other African countries.

African leaders are seeking ways to feed their peoples and become players in the global economy.

In the second edition of The New Harvest: Agricultural Innovation in Africa, I argue that Africa can feed itself in a generation. However, efforts to achieve such an ambitious goal continue to be frustrated by policies adopted by Africa’s historical trading partners, especially the European Union.

There are at least three ways in which EU policies affect Africa’s ability to address its agricultural and food challenges: tariff escalation; technological innovation and food export preferences.

African leaders would like to escape the colonial trap of being viewed simply as raw material exporters. But their efforts to add value to the materials continue to be frustrated by existing EU policies.

Take the example of coffee. In 2014 Africa —the home of coffee— earned nearly $2.4 billion from the crop. Germany, a leading processor, earned about $3.8 billion from coffee re-exports.

The concern is not that Germany benefits from processing coffee. It is that Africa is punished by EU tariff barriers for doing so. Non-decaffeinated green coffee is exempt from the charges. However, a 7.5 per cent charge is imposed on roasted coffee. As a result, the bulk of Africa’s export to the EU is unroasted green coffee.

The charge on cocoa is even more debilitating. It is reported that the “EU charges (a tariff) of 30 per cent for processed cocoa products like chocolate bars or cocoa powder, and 60 per cent for some other refined products containing cocoa.”

Pursuing EU-inspired biosafety policies denies Africa the capacity to leverage biotechnology and use it to meet its own local needs. GM technology has wider application in fields such as medicine and can be used in the development of diagnostics.

Zmapp is an example of an experimental drug for use against the Ebola virus that was developed using GM technology. In this case, EU policies on food safety may have unintended consequences of suppressing innovation in Africa not only in agriculture, but also in healthcare.

There are areas of EU-Africa agricultural trade that on the surface appear to offer hopeful signs. One of them is trade in organic produce. In fact, part of the opposition to GM technology is linked to the perception that it might compromise Africa’s export of organic produce to the EU.

The surge in demand in organic produce around the world does offer parts of Africa the opportunity to increase their food exports. Over the last two decades, Africa’s share of world food exports has dropped from 11 per cent to less than 3 per cent. Thailand exports nearly as much food as all of sub-Saharan Africa.

But boosting food exports is not going to be satisfied by dependence on niche organic markets provided by the EU. Africa needs robust efforts to upgrade its agriculture through technology adoption and not simply reliance on the exploitation of Africa’s “cheap ecology”.

To achieve its technological objectives, Africa needs to partner with countries such as the United Kingdom that have historical knowledge of the continent. But collective EU policies make it difficult for Africa to engage productively with the UK in areas such as agricultural biotechnology.

One of the impacts of the policies has been to nudge Africa towards new partnerships with countries such China and Brazil that have pioneered the adoption of new agricultural technologies. This, in turn, has the long-term potential of eroding trade relations between the UK and Africa. The time has come for the EU to rethink the impact of its policies on African agriculture in general and technological transformation in particular.

@Diasporan Royalty

Cognito

All Star
Daps
Gaining ability to process & create things out of Raw Materials would bring huge amount of economic growth to the great lakes countries due to huge price increases it adds.
Production & manufacturing would be the way towards higher middle income economies in these areas.
Somalia,Djibouti would be key in use of ports & trade between East Africa & Eastern Asian countries.
There is a huge amount of potential that is untapped in the economies of all these countries that don't even involve much technology transfer or knowledge gain.

Cognito

All Star
Daps
:whoa:
I was planning on talking about the future East Africa until I saw this....Kenyans lack global connections? Did you seriously just type that.
Which country are you from, Somalia?
Kenya's economy depends on the agricultural industry, the tribes and counties with the most fertile land have the strongest agro-business industries. Its that simple. Flashy money in Eastleigh is mostly just money in the process of being laundered after being accumulated by your politicians from your country's coffers. I wouldn't be proud of this if I were you, but hey... whatever makes you sleep well at night.
Kenya's top 50 industrialists and businessmen, not a single Somali, its all Kikuyus and a couple of Indians and one or two Luos. This focus on foreigners over african entrepreneurs in all african countries is so old. Like 2011 old. Its almost 2018 waryah.

Kenya's top 50 industrialists and businessmen
Uhuru Kenyatta Agro-business dairy industry, banking and real estate
James Mwangi Equity Bank Group
Vimal Shah Bidco Africa - Indian
Chris Kirubi International House Ltd, Capital Group Ltd
Titus Naikuni, Kenya Airways Ltd
Mike Macharia Seven Seas Technologies Ltd
S.K Macharia Royal Media Services
Mary Okelo Makini Schools Ltd
Manu Chandaria, Comcraft Group - Indian
Dr. Eddah Gachukia Riara Group of Schools
Simon Gicharu Mount Kenya University
Dr Betty Gikonyo The Karen Hospital
Consolata Gituto Longonot Gate Development Ltd
Charles Kibiru Thika Green Ltd
Paul Kinuthia Interconsumer Products Ltd
Stanley Kinyanjui Magnate Ventures Ltd
Jane Macharia-Gituto Shian Tours & Travel Ltd
Naushad Merali The Sameer Group- Indian
Pete Muraya, Suraya Property Group
Alan Murungi Ozzbeco Ltd
Joanne Mwangi Professional Marketing Services (PMS) Group
Peter Nduati Resolution Insurance Co ltd
Leon Ndubai (msafiri)
Indo-Africa Finance Co Ltd - Indian
Ken Njoroge, Cellulant Ltd
Tabitah Karanja Keroche Industries Ltd
Alison Ngibuini Al Is On Production Ltd
Ory Okolloh Omidyar Network
Shivani Radia Patel Zen Gardens - Indian
Patrick Quarcoo Radio Africa Group
Faraz Ramji Norda Industries Ltd - Indian
Njeri Rionge Insite and Wanachi Online (msafiri)
50 of Kenya’s top business people | mSafiri
Sorry I meant no harm in my statement. Thank you for correcting me. You have more knowledge in this subject than I do since I'm not Kenyan.
I'm Somali Bantu.

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
Sorry I meant no harm in my statement. Thank you for correcting me. You have more knowledge in this subject than I do since I'm not Kenyan.
I'm Somali Bantu.
Okay cool. You sounded quite aggressive. I was like damn brah :what: is this a somalinet nationalist?
Anyway Somali bantus doing it big in coastal Kenya. Own multiple businesses, chill people.

Cognito

All Star
Daps
Okay cool. You sounded quite aggressive. I was like damn brah :what: is this a somalinet nationalist?
Anyway Somali bantus doing it big in coastal Kenya. Own multiple businesses, chill people.
Thanks. I'm very big into economics & various other fields. The education level of many of my people in the U.S is rapidly growing & the community organizations we have are a big part of it.

Last edited:

Anhur

All Star
Daps
Are you East African? Would this federation have any implications for Blacks in America?
This would be the best thing for blacks in America because I heard that Tanzania already gives African Americans citizenship. The EAC would be a new power in the region that would be looking for skilled workers (African Americans) so that it can quickly develop into the new superpower of Africa and possibly the world.

World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer
Here's the GDP per Capita growth visualized in a line chart.
Kenya,Djibouti,Tanzania,Ethiopia have the healthiest growth currently but still needs to be at higher rate
Uganda,Somalia,Rwanda have potential growth & if policies continue & terror is eliminated in Somalia & Uganda imo has a lot of potential.
Burundi & South Sudan are currently messes that need large government institutions made,order of law & good leadership.
Eritreans are leaving in mass out of the prison complex that is Eritrea so they really aren't making moves.
I think Somalia has a great opportunity for development due to the fact that most East African nations are under the influence of China. Somalia would be the perfect counter to Chinese influence in the area. America, Qatar, UAE, and Turkey are already investing in Somalia and the U.N is developing a plan to assist Somalia to become stable within 4 years. China is also investing in the Northeastern region of Somalia (Puntland). I'm hoping Somalia can pull itself up and take advantage of the investments that it is receiving.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This would be the best thing for blacks in America because I heard that Tanzania already gives African Americans citizenship. The EAC would be a new power in the region that would be looking for skilled workers (African Americans) so that it can quickly develop into the new superpower of Africa and possibly the world.

American Blacks, for all of our griping, aren't seriously trying to leave. Particularly to a country where our standard of living would take a hit. Or where we'd be a minority again.

LoStranger

Banned
Daps
American Blacks, for all of our griping, aren't seriously trying to leave. Particularly to a country where our standard of living would take a hit. Or where we'd be a minority again.

This ^^ we bytch and complain about white supremacy and America but most of us ain't moving no dam where.....

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
The only borders that need redrawing is Somalia, Ethiopia ad Kenya. The rest of EAC seem to be fine.
Yes but all the other nations are affected in some way even though not directly.
I would also add the eastern DRC provinces of Katanga and North & South Kivu, its time they joined the EAC. People from eastern DRC speak swahili instead of Lingala the language of Kinshasa. Your thread Lets discuss the potential of what is the Democratic Republic of Congo should have been titled "whats the potential of Katanga and the two Kivus" because that's were all the mineral wealth is found. Its exactly what Patrice Lumumba wanted and died for. The minerals being sold recklessly in some African countries are the result of ethnic groups in power usually around the capital selling minerals that are found far away in another ethnic group's territory that the leaders don't care for or have any close connection with. This was all purposefully designed by the colonialists when they were drawing these borders. The nations were also designed in a way in such one group can be easily paid to topple the other group due to intense religious or historic ethnic differences. Not all African countries are like this ofcourse. Countries like Botswana can last for centuries but it would be totally different if it contained large religious and ethnic divisions.

Last edited:

Anhur

All Star
Daps
This ^^ we bytch and complain about white supremacy and America but most of us ain't moving no dam where.....
That makes sense since African Americans built America and have lived there for 400 years. In my opinion, African Americans can possibly branch out their already successful businesses in America to Africa so they could earn more money and be more influential in America. This way, African Americans can stay in America but also have meaningful trade relations and connections with Africa which will increase both of their economies. Do you think that this is more plausible?

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That makes sense since African Americans built America and have lived there for 400 years. In my opinion, African Americans can possibly branch out their already successful businesses in America to Africa so they could earn more money and be more influential in America. This way, African Americans can stay in America but also have meaningful trade relations and connections with Africa which will increase both of their economies. Do you think that this is more plausible?

I think you may not fully understand the position most Black Americans are in. On the whole, we are not in a position to invest in another country- due to lack capital and know how. Also, to the few of us who have both the capital and the know how, I'd imagine Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda don't exactly scream stability.

I went to Ghana a few years back and I thought about buying some property out there. I was warned by a guy I met out there that without family to watch over the land/house it would be resold to another party. And that's Ghana. Generally stable and on the come up. I wouldn't even want to know what the hell business practices go on in Rwanda or South Sudan.

Anhur

All Star
Daps
I think you may not fully understand the position most Black Americans are in. On the whole, we are not in a position to invest in another country- due to lack capital and know how. Also, to the few of us who have both the capital and the know how, I'd imagine Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda don't exactly scream stability.

I went to Ghana a few years back and I thought about buying some property out there. I was warned by a guy I met out there that without family to watch over the land/house it would be resold to another party. And that's Ghana. Generally stable and on the come up. I wouldn't even want to know what the hell business practices go on in Rwanda or South Sudan.
I'm not talking about investing now, I'm talking about investing in the future when African countries are more stable. Africans and African Americans working together in the future would be beneficial for both. The reason white people are richer than black people is that they are more united than us. After WWII, the Europeans and Americans helped rebuild Germany and now Germany is a manufacturing giant in the world today. Us Africans and African diaspora must also unite and try to find ways we can benefit each other in the future.