Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/africa/libya-migrant-detention-centers/index.html

'They don't know my name'

What it's like to be trapped inside Libya's government detention centers
By Raja Razek, CNN

Updated 6:19 AM ET, Tue November 14, 2017

Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- Scores of people stand packed in the cramped quarters of the Treeq Alsika Migrant Detention Center in Tripoli, helplessness etched across their faces.
They're just some of 700,000 migrants the United Nations believes are now stuck in Libya. They fled poverty and repression in sub-Sahara, giving up everything to undertake a desperate -- and ultimately unsuccessful -- voyage to get to Europe.
Exploited by shameless smugglers who care little whether they live or die, many of the inhabitants of this government-run detention center give nightmare accounts of forced labor, exploitation and inhumane conditions at the hands of the men they paid to deliver them across the Mediterranean.
"I have been here three weeks now, nobody writes my name. They don't know my name," says 29-year-old Ali Jemma from Ghana, one of the many migrants here who feels trapped and forgotten in the Libyan capital. He had hoped to reach Italy, but six months on, all he wants is to return home.
171113141916-07-cnn-libya-detention-center-super-169.jpg

Ali Jemma is one of the many migrants detained at the Treeq Alsika Migrant Detention Center in Tripoli.
"In this area here we have above 1,000 people, and the place is very tight for them," says Anes Alazabi, the detention center supervisor. "A few people can't even find a place to sleep, and we're missing a lot of stuff for the migrants, like clothes, covers, pillows, slippers, all that stuff."
In another room, hungry and thirsty men sit on the crowded floor. "We did not know the journey was going to be like this," says Victory, a 21-year-old migrant from Nigeria who was auctioned off by his smugglers in Libya before he was eventually freed.
171109125051-01-libya-migrant-detention-center-tripoli-super-169.jpg

Libyan officials concede that the detention centers like Treeq Alsika in Tripoli are crowded, but insist they are doing what they can to help migrants return home.
In the warehouses where the smugglers held them, some migrants were beaten and didn't see the sun for days at a time. Others were sold into work. Now they are broke and awaiting deportation to their home countries.
"I spent my life savings leaving the country," Victory says. "I go back and start back from square one. It's very painful. Very painful."
Related: Where lives are auctioned for $400
171113155215-08-cnn-libya-detention-center-super-169.jpg

Victory wanted to start afresh in Europe, where he believed more opportunities would be available. Over a year later, he tells CNN he has given up on this dream.
Libya has become a congested transit point along the central Mediterranean migrant route. Those rounded up by the authorities never intended to stay in the country, but are now forced to stay here until arrangements can be made to repatriate them.
Outside the center, women line up in the rain to get on a bus bound for the airport, where they will be sent back to Nigeria.
One woman says she's pregnant. "Help me," another pleads. Both are in tears as they prepare to be deported, leaving their husbands behind in Libya.
171113160123-12-cnn-libya-detention-center-super-169.jpg

A woman cries as she is told she must leave her husband behind because he has yet to receive proper paperwork.
171113232630-14-cnn-libya-detention-center-super-169.jpg

Another woman tearfully says goodbye to her husband as she must also leave the country alone.
The two women say they received the necessary documents from their embassy to be sent home from Libya, but their spouses have yet to.
Alazabi, the supervisor, tells them that the men will follow in ten days. The women plead with him to make an exception.
But without the proper paperwork, Alazabi says his hands are tied. He directs the women toward the bus, telling them they will see their husbands soon.
CNN's Lauren Said-Moorhouse contributed to this report.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
People for sale
Where lives are auctioned for $400
171113193652-01-libya-slave-auction-hp-tz-exlarge-169.jpg
Watch full documentary: Libya's migrant slave trade
171110141805-01-africa-migrants-libya-1110-super-169.jpg

Migrants rescued from the Mediterranean arrive at a naval base in Tripoli in October.
The evidence filmed by CNN has now been handed over to the Libyan authorities, who have promised to launch an investigation.
First Lieutenant Naser Hazam of the government's Anti-Illegal Immigration Agency in Tripoli told CNN that although he had not witnessed a slave auction, he acknowledged that organized gangs are operating smuggling rings in the country.
"They fill a boat with 100 people, those people may or may not make it," Hazam says. "(The smuggler) does not care as long as he gets the money, and the migrant may get to Europe or die at sea."
"The situation is dire," Mohammed Abdiker, the director of operation and emergencies for the International Organization for Migration, said in a statementafter returning from Tripoli in April. "Some reports are truly horrifying and the latest reports of 'slave markets' for migrants can be added to a long list of outrages."
The auctions take place in a seemingly normal town in Libya filled with people leading regular lives. Children play in the street; people go to work, talk to friends and cook dinners for their families.
But inside the slave auctions it's like we've stepped back in time. The only thing missing is the shackles around the migrants' wrists and ankles.
Deportation 'back to square one'
Anes Alazabi is a supervisor at a detention center in Tripoli for migrants that are due to be deported. He says he's heard "a lot of stories" about the abuse carried out by smugglers.
171109125051-01-libya-migrant-detention-center-tripoli-super-169.jpg

The Treeq Alsika Migrant Detention Center in Tripoli, where some migrants are held by Libyan authorities before they are repatriated.
"I'm suffering for them. What I have seen here daily, believe me, it makes me feel pain for them," he says. "Every day I can hear a new story from people. You have to listen to all of them. It's their right to deliver their voices."
One of the detained migrants, a young man named Victory, says he was sold at a slave auction. Tired of the rampant corruption in Nigeria's Edo state, the 21-year-old fled home and spent a year and four months -- and his life savings -- trying to reach Europe.

He made it as far as Libya, where he says he and other would-be migrants were held in grim living conditions, deprived of food, abused and mistreated by their captors.
"If you look at most of the people here, if you check your bodies, you see the marks. They are beaten, mutilated."
When his funds ran out, Victory was sold as a day laborer by his smugglers, who told him that the profit made from the transactions would serve to reduce his debt. But after weeks of being forced to work, Victory was told the money he'd been bought for wasn't enough. He was returned to his smugglers, only to be re-sold several more times.
The smugglers also demanded ransom payments from Victory's family before eventually releasing him.
171113155454-09-cnn-libya-detention-center-large-169.jpg
have opted to voluntarily return home on repatriation flights organized by the IOM.
Opinion: Abuse of migrants in Libya is a blog on world's conscience
While many of his friends from Nigeria have made it to Europe, Victory is resigned to returning home empty-handed.
"I could not make it, but I thank God for the life of those that make it," he says.
"I'm not happy," he adds. "I go back and start back from square one. It's very painful. Very painful."

CNN's Lauren Said-Moorhouse, Byron Manley, Henrik Pettersson, Mark Oliver and Muhammad Darwish contributed to this report.

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
There is a Somali saying, "lax walba meesha ey is dhigtaa lagu gowraca" (calf gets slaughtered where it lays) which roughly means if you put yourself in a vulnerable position you will get taken advantage of.

These smugglers throw people out of boats with their hands and feet tied, nothing they do should come as a surprise.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
That's Obama's legacy in Africa by getting rid of Gaddaffi.

Libya was a decent country under Gaddaffi and the black people there were protected and given equal rights.

But now it's all about slavery and genocide of black people there.

Not really fair to blame just Obama or just the dems, he was just the guy in charge at the time.
You have to blame the entire machine of US foreign policy in general(along with France and the UK).
They destroyed Iraq. They destroyed Syria. Continue to destroy Afghanistan. Destroying Libya is par for the course. Now they are coming further into Africa. At best you can call it incompetence. In truth though, they are just vile human beings.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Not really fair to blame just Obama or just the dems, he was just the guy in charge at the time.
You have to blame the entire machine of US foreign policy in general(along with France and the UK).
They destroyed Iraq. They destroyed Syria. Continue to destroy Afghanistan. Destroying Libya is par for the course. Now they are coming further into Africa. At best you can call it incompetence. In truth though, they are just vile human beings.

American government is an agent of destruction everywhere. But Obama allowed it, so he has to be the face and carry the cross. If he didn't approve it, it wouldn't have happened.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wonder how much a lot of these multi billionaires and millionaires can do if they all joined together to build a sanctuary in these places in Africa.

This is heart wrenching.