KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2F68e766fba1f836a763815422e93b6fd8.1000x1000x1.jpg

Yeah so fall of '05 was my first year of college. I was on the IllCommunity alot, but I used to browse the front page of SOHH and check the forums a little. The format of the front page had the 3 hottest songs of the week(or month, i don't remember), and the 3 hottest videos below that. There was no youtube back then, so the links opened up in windows media player.

So I'm in college browsing on my roomate's laptop (cause a nikka was broke:dahell:) and saw at the bottom of the SOHH main page, a video called "lovin' it" by a group named "little brother."

I clicked that shyt...

and instantly fell in love :banderas:

AND the video was on some positive, non-ignorance shyt :krs:

that's my first experience with little brother and i ended up buying the album. That album was the soundtrack to my first year of college, summed up the whole vibe perfectly.
The hazy mornings, the lone wolfiness :ohlawd:

just recently listened to the album and my 29 year old tastes appreciate it even better than my 19 year old self.

Classic shyt. :mjcry:

Drop your stories :manny:

Last edited:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
"We Got Now" was a perfect outro track :ahh:

Everything about the album fit perfectly.

"Dope beats dope rhymes. What more do y'all want?"

Honestly this album takes me back too man. Real nostalgic. I was in HS during the time. I think this was about the time where the world "clicked" for me. Crazy how I would go from bumping TM 101 to bumping this and Chitlin Circuit :heh:

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Bruh, that duet, that video, that song, that sample, the song it sampled from breh!!

:banderas:

ALLLLL fire!
My first introduction to Little Brother was almost a decade ago. Nobody told me about them, I had to find out about them all by myself. I downloaded the first hip-hop album off of limewire and it turned out to be "The Getback". It was like the only album they had at the time (at limewire) or something (this was when they were dying and no one was using limewire no more).
I wasn't even into American hip-hop back then, but I was willing to try checking it out again. And "The Getback" was a good re-introduction to American Hip-Hop.

Last edited:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yeah so fall of '05 was my first year of college.

Same here.

I remember they used to play a commercial for the album every once and a while and I would always be in another room or something and couldn't catch the name of the song or the group :mjcry:

Was at home on break, and on the tv in the living room I heard the song from the commercial being performed live :ohhh:

Ran into the room and :gladbron:

They were performing on MTV2 or something, actually might have been this performance

Found out the song name, the artists and looked up/downloaded everything.

Minstrel Show led to The Listening. Look up who else they've done work with, that leads to Murs & 9th Wonder, Foreign Exchange, Skyzoo and other Justus League affiliates.

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Was just bumping their albums in the whip on friday. I first heard that back in 05' maybe 06' i was 20-21 back then. I remember my best friend put me on to Little Brother. He let me hear some tracks from "The Minstrel Show" I kid u not that shyt made me go from a mainstream head to stricky underground ever since.

That album completely shifted my consciousness and made me more aware. Fukking life changing shyt. Just the way I think and everything.

I eventually snatches up everything Little Brother. But mostly The Listening, Chitin Circuit 1.5, and The first 2 Foreign Exchange albums. Plus the "And Justus For All" and "Separate But Equal" mixtapes. I can play all of that shyt straight thru. No skips at all.

I say all that to say Little Brother was our Tribe Called Quest, our OutKast, our De La Soul, our EPMD etc. I can't stress that enough. If they would have dropped around 2010-2012 they probably would have had more of a buzz. It's a shame how nobody hasn't caught on. And just overlooked them in their own state at that. And the break up of the group hurt a n1ggas soul.

I urge ya all to go on iTunes or stitcher and listen to the Where's My 40 Acres Podcast where they recently reviewed "The Listening" and "The Minstrel Show" in its entirety. 2 of the best reviews I've heard in a long time.

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
I heard this before I heard The Listening. I still have my XXL with Suge Knight and Petey Pablo on the cover and they had an interview with LB about the album. That article and seeing the ads in XXL are probably what lead me to listen to them for the first time. I was about 12 years old at the time.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I heard this before I heard The Listening. I still have my XXL with Suge Knight and Petey Pablo on the cover and they had an interview with LB about the album. That article and seeing the ads in XXL are probably what lead me to listen to them for the first time. I was about 12 years old at the time.

Real talk the first LB song I ever heard was "Whatever You Say," but I didn't complete a full round of the Listening until after the Minstrel show came out.