Magic Johnson: Being part-owner of the Washington Commanders is the biggest thing I’ve ever done in my life

Is Magic right?

• Total voters

TheMailMan

All Star
Daps
None of us in here will ever own a team let alone NFL team. Dont care the % Magic owns apart of the team cant hate. HIV and his son jokes aside. This is who we should look up to. Dude puts his $ and time into the black community. When he dies his $ will stay in black community (his other son is a businessman).
I haven't heard anything he's done for east Lansing but I might be wrong. Just haven't heard anything. Much respect to Ervin tho he doin his thang

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
4% is a pretty significant amount of an NFL team to own especially considering this one is technically valued at $6 billion. His portion is worth $200 million and the best pathway to ownership is becoming a minority owner.

He has that claim in all three of the leagues. I always thought they'd chase Obama as the first black majority owner, but it seems like they're putting Magic on the path.

Obeezy got money like that though?

Chrome2279

All Star
Daps
I love Magic. A natural leader, a winner, and a born salesman.

Outside of family stuff, becoming part owner of the Dodgers and making the Baby Hook against the Celtics are the biggest moments, Sir.
Earvin Johnson Jr. is wilding here.
You’re confusing “greatest” with “biggest” this NFL deal is the most Money in history for a sports team. Magic didn’t say “greatest” your examples above are “the greatest” examples. he said “biggest” from a money perspective, he’s right. Let’s not forget, this franchise needs a lot of work. (Team, stadium, concessions, merchandise, name change, etc) also it’s hard as fukk to be a black man owning an NFL team.

lib123

All Star
Daps
4% is a pretty significant amount of an NFL team to own especially considering this one is technically valued at $6 billion. His portion is worth $200 million and the best pathway to ownership is becoming a minority owner.

He has that claim in all three of the leagues. I always thought they'd chase Obama as the first black majority owner, but it seems like they're putting Magic on the path.
Nah minority ownership stakes are valued at 40-50% discount. When Snyder owned the team, he bought out his minority partners' 40.5% stake for $800M in 2021 while the entire team was valued at $4.2B at the time.

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
4% isn't a small number like yall making it seem. It's like when floyd said he owns skyscrapers in NYC. In reality he actually owned like 1% of the building. But 1% of a building worth 2 billion is still alot of money.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Magic owns 4% stake in the Commanders. They sold for 6.05 billion (240 million dollar investment) & im sure will be valued much higher in the coming years (Magic’s money will surely double in value in relatively short time). Of course this is the biggest thing he has ever done :ufdup:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Folks in here trying to downplay Magic :stopitslime:

Like because he isn't the majority owner this means nothing

Dude could sell his stake for 200 million tomorrow

And probably much more in ten years
I mean in the NFL it kind of doesn't considering that even some of the majority owners in the league don't even have a voice or influence like that. Magic is just a figurehead and I doubt will be making any influencing decisions like that especially considering that the league owners had to already cut corners for that ownership group to come into the fold as is.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean in the NFL it kind of doesn't considering that even some of the majority owners in the league don't even have a voice or influence like that. Magic is just a figurehead and I doubt will be making any influencing decisions like that especially considering that the league owners had to already cut corners for that ownership group to come into the fold as is.

Right only majority owners have the final say.

When they have the owners meeting every year, that's for the majority owner

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
None of us in here will ever own a team let alone NFL team. Dont care the % Magic owns apart of the team cant hate. HIV and his son jokes aside. This is who we should look up to. Dude puts his $ and time into the black community. When he dies his $ will stay in black community (his other son is a businessman).
:salute: Always one breh who sees the bigger picture