Mahmoud Abdul Rauf on the flag controversy

superunknown23

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always thought he was blackballed as well, but when I went to check, I see he played like five more years in there NBA after that incident.
The Nuggets traded him to Sacramento that year for the remainder of his deal. He was on a contract and the NBA had to honor it (unlike the NFL, the NBA player's Union is strong and wouldn't allow them to just cut him).
He was out of the league by the end of his deal 2 year later and had to go to Europe after just 7 NBA seasons.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Mahmoud was the first person I thought of when I heard about this.

Is there anyone over 30 who didn't think of him first?

Americans are stupid as hell over this shyt. Even Christians should be thinking some pretty :rudy: stuff about pledging your allegiance to a flag.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Nuggets traded him to Sacramento that year for the remainder of his deal. He was on a contract and the NBA had to honor it (unlike the NFL, the NBA player's Union is strong and wouldn't allow them to just cut him).
He was out of the league by the end of his deal 2 year later and had to go to Europe after just 7 NBA seasons.

Yep they couldn't get rid of him cause his contract was guaranteed.

The video I posted went more in-depth about this.

The nuggets began to reduce his minutes once he made the stand.

They then traded him to the Kings and there it got worse the kings began to give him DNPs. After the season he couldn't get any contract so he went to play overseas in Turkey I believe.

Then the grizzlies signed him. The 1st year was guarnateed and the second year was a team option. During the first year the grizzlies started to fukk with him with his playing time even though he lead the league in points per minute. After the season they told him they wouldn't bring him back on team option.

Well in the offseason he did a interview with HBO about 9/11 and he mentioned that he didn't think Osama did it and if he did do it he was not alone. HBO twisted his words and made it seem as though he was a terrorist sympathizer.

So that off season no team wanted to touch him. His agent called colangelo and he was like naw he can play but it is the off court stuff. Then his agent I think was contacted by Elgin Baylor and told to come to the clippers for a try out. Then when Mr. Rauf showed up Baylor had one of his folks tell him that he wasn't gonna get a chance to try out cause Baylor didn't like what he said in the HBO interview.

So he was basically blackballed out the league for good. But he was getting blackballed even when he came back with the grizzlies.

From like 2002 thru 2011 he played overseas in Russia, Saudi Arabia, italy, Greece and Japan.

So I am sure financially he was able to do well.

superunknown23

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep they couldn't get rid of him cause his contract was guaranteed.

The video I posted went more in-depth about this.

The nuggets began to reduce his minutes once he made the stand.

They then traded him to the Kings and there it got worse the kings began to give him DNPs. After the season he couldn't get any contract so he went to play overseas in Turkey I believe.

Then the grizzlies signed him. The 1st year was guarnateed and the second year was a team option. During the first year the grizzlies started to fukk with him with his playing time even though he lead the league in points per minute. After the season they told him they wouldn't bring him back on team option.

Well in the offseason he did a interview with HBO about 9/11 and he mentioned that he didn't think Osama did it and if he did do it he was not alone. HBO twisted his words and made it seem as though he was a terrorist sympathizer.

So that off season no team wanted to touch him. His agent called colangelo and he was like naw he can play but it is the off court stuff. Then his agent I think was contacted by Elgin Baylor and told to come to the clippers for a try out. Then when Mr. Rauf showed up Baylor had one of his folks tell him that he wasn't gonna get a chance to try out cause Baylor didn't like what he said in the HBO interview.

So he was basically blackballed out the league for good. But he was getting blackballed even when he came back with the grizzlies.

From like 2002 thru 2011 he played overseas in Russia, Saudi Arabia, italy, Greece and Japan.

So I am sure financially he was able to do well.
Financially, he's straight.
But I was always amazed that he managed to have a decent career despite his illness... shyt was always uncomfortable to watch:sadcam:

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Always getting mad at people coming together talking and then the talking switches to "conspiring". Why would you be concerned unless you know you doing foul shyt they could be discussing:mjpls:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Financially, he's straight.
But I was always amazed that he managed to have a decent career despite his illness... shyt was always uncomfortable to watch:sadcam:

:russ: breh I met that brotha and he had that bad tick. But from what folks have told me who knew him he got better control of it as he got older.

Even in the video I posted it is totally gone. Back in his days in the NBA he mentioned that becoming Muslim helped with controlling his disease.

Rauf also mentioned that him having the disease actually made him a better player because he had to do shyt over and over and over until it felt or looked right. He mentioned that when he shot a ball if it didn't it the net just right he would shoot the ball over and over again until it hit the next just right or it sounded just right hitting the net.

Another thing my cousin had some of his homies who played against him on the Mississippi coast while growing up and they said that they had trouble guarding him because his movement would throw them off. To them some of his ticks looked like head fakes and the shyt would throw them off when guarding him.

I heard rumors of that shyt but thought it was just jokes.

Anyway the dude is a legend in Mississippi. Just amazing the amount of talent that come out the state even with its small population.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
:russ: breh I met that brotha and he had that bad tick. But from what folks have told me who knew him he got better control of it as he got older.

Even in the video I posted it is totally gone. Back in his days in the NBA he mentioned that becoming Muslim helped with controlling his disease.

Rauf also mentioned that him having the disease actually made him a better player because he had to do shyt over and over and over until it felt or looked right. He mentioned that when he shot a ball if it didn't it the net just right he would shoot the ball over and over again until it hit the next just right or it sounded just right hitting the net.

Another thing my cousin had some of his homies who played against him on the Mississippi coast while growing up and they said that they had trouble guarding him because his movement would throw them off. To them some of his ticks looked like head fakes and the shyt would throw them off when guarding him.

I heard rumors of that shyt but thought it was just jokes.

Anyway the dude is a legend in Mississippi. Just amazing the amount of talent that come out the state even with its small population.

Monte Ellis is from Mississippi and came along after Abdul-Rauf retired from basketball straight from highschool. :wow:

I remember when he was on the Kings . I was like :gladbron: initially until reality sank in when he was getting those DNP's.

Dude was a fan favorite in Sacramento but the league didn't want to see him resume his career once his contract was up :beli:

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Id like to have a 1 on 1 convo with him. Much more levelheaded than the pseudo pro black Coli.