Making an App

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
So we started a technology/coding club as an intervention at a couple of schools in my research portfolio to promote interest in STEM in AA students and encourage blk kids, especially blk boys to come to school. (Had to curse out some "but what about" hoes when I first pitched the idea with the research committee:comeon:.)

So far student participant data has been very positive, showing a sharp decrease in absences and in rule violations. To be honest kids coming to school just for those classes.

We are devoting a two month unit on app building and taking kids through some of the simple free app software programs. These kids have some great and amazing ideas.
Some have already been taken but some other ideas are pretty friggin dope.

Ya'll ever started ur own app before?:patrice:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
So we started a technology/coding club as an intervention at a couple of schools in my research portfolio to promote interest in STEM in AA students and encourage blk kids, especially blk boys to come to school. (Had to curse out some "but what about" hoes when I first pitched the idea with the research committee:comeon:.)

So far student participant data has been very positive, showing a sharp decrease in absences and in rule violations. To be honest kids coming to school just for those classes.

We are devoting a two month unit on app building and taking kids through some of the simple free app software programs. These kids have some great and amazing ideas.

Nope never started an app but know cats that paid folks to do it. I gave money towards a project for a friend. He basically told the developers what he wanted and they did it. Took about a month of back and forth but this was back in the day before apps really blew up. I understand why you're doing it but if people aren't interested in that I don't see the point of doing apps.

FLATOP

Superstar
Daps
Yeah android studios is free so I-ve dabbled a bit. And going through the different frames and layouts is pretty easy. The backend is where it gets rough most of the time. That said if you want an actually professional looking frontend design it might be even harder.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Considering all the sexual assault shyt Imma do a Proceed With Caution App where u can text a scenario and get some advice on how to handle it in a socially appropriate way.

"So he called me at 2:00am to come to his crib for a cup of coffee...":jbhmm:

"So my co-worker on anti-depressants just transferred from another company due to an issue with sexual harrassment. But she slipped her number in my pocket and grabbed my crotch. So she wants me right? I'm her boss btw. What could go wrong?":jbhmm:

hmmm, tell me more :shaq:
U Terrible! Lmao!

One kid had a great idea but it was already out there. He was like "I want an app that tells you stuff you can make with only what u got in the fridge."

Kids was clowning him on some "nobody don't wanna know how make shyt with that bakin soda and hope u got in the back of ur fridge!"
(Meanwhile IM CRYING on the inside! Lil man said baking soda and hope!!!!!:russ:)

People was laughing but I'll be DAMNED if there isn't an app for that making some money already.:ohhh:
I just like seeing them put their creativity to work. It's amazing what some have already come up with.:wow:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Nope never started an app but know cats that paid folks to do it. I gave money towards a project for a friend. He basically told the developers what he wanted and they did it. Took about a month of back and forth but this was back in the day before apps really blew up. I understand why you're doing it but if people aren't interested in that I don't see the point of doing apps.
Very cool! Yeah there might not be a lot of profit to come from it for my middle schoolers but they are loving the process.

The backend results of the team study is really to keep these kids in school with authentic learning experiences that they enjoy. So far my observational data looks amazing, but even better is just how creative these kids are.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Very cool! Yeah there might not be a lot of profit to come from it for my middle schoolers but they are loving the process.

The backend results of the team study is really to keep these kids in school with authentic learning experiences that they enjoy. So far my observational data looks amazing, but even better is just how creative these kids are.
Young kids ime are always creative. Its usually when you get older that shyt goes away when your told to be more realistic. Best of luck to you and the kids though.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How much detail you wanna go into?

What platforms are you looking at?
You have a team with any devops experience?

We can talk in depth as this is something I've done before but I need to understand the scope of what you want to do.

There are alot of moving parts here. I'm. Currently driving but I'll go into. More detail when I get home

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Young kids ime are always creative. Its usually when you get older that shyt goes away when your told to be more realistic. Best of luck to you and the kids though.
The coolest part is these are the kids that a lot of officials have given up on. I got met with MAJOR shade when I pitched the idea to the administrative team. It was like something out of a damn 90s high school movie.
"Those kids?! They'll never..."

Now they wearing the "I eat hater ass" face and these kids haven't had one behavior violation across multiple school settings since the club started. Take that fukkers!

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Program would be better if you limited it to gifted,top, or AP course taking students.

If the kids there are "kids coming to school just for those (STEM) classes", you might have good intentions but the program might be confusing activity with accomplishment.

STEM field is not for the Sweat hogs.
V_Ieq5wu5uap0FMNDoNnqqdYc64

They might have genius level potential (which I think most Black people possess) but if they slept walked through high school, maybe STEM field isn't for them.

Last edited:

kenreid0726eabos

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Jersey USA

rated 5 stars the tech life 21st century #autismbrain :smile:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
How much detail you wanna go into?

What platforms are you looking at?
You have a team with any devops experience?

We can talk in depth as this is something I've done before but I need to understand the scope of what you want to do.

There are alot of moving parts here. I'm. Currently driving but I'll go into. More detail when I get home
We are pretty much still in the nascent planning stages right now. Personally I'm not sure how far this will go b/c I've never created an app but I did want to encourage my students to research the process and generate some ideas and see what it's like.

Any information you can give on the back end would be great! I have some developers who volunteer and come to speak to the group as guest speakers but I'm trying this new stuff in the dark right along with my students. Lol!
The overarching goal of my research was to use this opportunity as a lure to keep at-risk blk male middle school kids in school and out of trouble. That part is working beautifully and my data will be publishable once the multi-baseline design is finished in March.

But the club is taking off and some other schools are starting to get interested too so if my kids could actually produce something from their efforts, that would be amazing!

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Program would be better if you limited it to gifted,top, or AP course taking students.

If the kids there are "kids coming to school just for those (STEM) classes", you might have good intentions but the program might be confusing activity with accomplishment.

STEM field is not for the Sweat hogs.
V_Ieq5wu5uap0FMNDoNnqqdYc64

They might have genius level potential (which I think most Black people possess) but if they slept walked through high school, maybe STEM field isn't for them.
Lmao! It's funny that you mention that b/c I actually have a colleague in my program who IS doing something similar for talented/gifted students at another school. They defend this dissertation in the spring and I'll be VERY interested to hear how their research went. The sad part is both groups are horribly at-risk in the schools we are working in. Even AP and gifted programs don't have as much rigor or opportunities for advanced coursework for these students and attendance/truancy has been an issue for them too. How crazy is that?!

However with my intervention, I'm more so just pushing these students to do four Modules:
Module 1: Research and History of Apps
Module 2: Profits and Process of App making
Module 3: Ideas and Current App Market
Module 4: Creation and Development (with basic free software like Appy pie or Apps bar).

I dunno how far they will get for actual publishing but I do want them to get some familiarity with it. I feel there is a MAJOR lack of emphasis on programming and computer stuff in our schools as opposed to the amount of technology we use daily.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
rated 5 stars the tech life 21st century #autismbrain :smile:
Right! There really needs to be more emphasis on this stuff in schools.

I got two more years in my PhD program and I am required to design one more research study and then the last one will be for dissertation.

I want to get into financial literacy interventions for students too but baby steps...