Making an App

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Lmao! It's funny that you mention that b/c I actually have a colleague in my program who IS doing something similar for talented/gifted students at another school. They defend this dissertation in the spring and I'll be VERY interested to hear how their research went. The sad part is both groups are horribly at-risk in the schools we are working in. Even AP and gifted programs don't have as much rigor or opportunities for advanced coursework for these students and attendance/truancy has been an issue for them too. How crazy is that?!

However with my intervention, I'm more so just pushing these students to do four Modules:
Module 1: Research and History of Apps
Module 2: Profits and Process of App making
Module 3: Ideas and Current App Market
Module 4: Creation and Development (with basic free software like Appy pie or Apps bar).

I dunno how far they will get for actual publishing but I do want them to get some familiarity with it. I feel there is a MAJOR lack of emphasis on programming and computer stuff in our schools as opposed to the amount of technology we use daily.

I applaud your efforts and those of your colleague.
I have tremendous respect for what you all are doing.

The top and bottom students live in the same environments, so they face the same challenges and lack of support. There's enough brainpower and resources within the community to help these kids reach their potentials.

========
hqdefault.jpg

Wrote a thread about it. Want to hear it-here it goes

Who's gonna help you? Who do you not want helping you?

ehhh-he!
Thank you, thank you very much!

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
I applaud your efforts and those of your colleague.
I have tremendous respect for what you all are doing.

The top and bottom students live in the same environments, so they face the same challenges and lack of support. There's enough brainpower and resources within the community to help these kids reach their potentials.

Who's gonna help you? Who do you not want helping you?
RIIIIIIIIIGHT! Omg! You see it too?! It's so frustrating when people don't see this! I got administrators right now who are like "we do fine by our gifted kids" and "we do what we can for our at-risk students".

Meanwhile I'm like...but ur data tells a different story. No growth for talented/gifted kids and negative growth for at-risk populations. Data indicating these kids would have been in the same place or possibly better w/o whatever they are getting in school has horrible implications.

But I have to pipe down b/c it was hard for me to even get approval to provide interventions in the schools b/c admitting u have a problem isn't good press.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
So we started a technology/coding club as an intervention at a couple of schools in my research portfolio to promote interest in STEM in AA students and encourage blk kids, especially blk boys to come to school. (Had to curse out some "but what about" hoes when I first pitched the idea with the research committee:comeon:.)

So far student participant data has been very positive, showing a sharp decrease in absences and in rule violations. To be honest kids coming to school just for those classes.

We are devoting a two month unit on app building and taking kids through some of the simple free app software programs. These kids have some great and amazing ideas.
Some have already been taken but some other ideas are pretty friggin dope.

Ya'll ever started ur own app before?:patrice:

Congrats, not just talking but putting boots also on the ground and implementing as well :obama:
Nah I've been desk top games development(started with mods to Unreal engine games) then migrated over to web development. I want to get into mobile app dev I have the android SDK / IDE but havn't been motivated to compile anything yet. I'm mostly busy on web dev right now...

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
RIIIIIIIIIGHT! Omg! You see it too?! It's so frustrating when people don't see this! I got administrators right now who are like "we do fine by our gifted kids" and "we do what we can for our at-risk students".

Meanwhile I'm like...but ur data tells a different story. No growth for talented/gifted kids and negative growth for at-risk populations. Data indicating these kids would have been in the same place or possibly better w/o whatever they are getting in school has horrible implications.

But I have to pipe down b/c it was hard for me to even get approval to provide interventions in the schools b/c admitting u have a problem isn't good press.
This could be a separate thread. If we start talking about school board, district and individual school politics, this will go 100 pages.

Fight the good fight and do what you can....until you're in position to do more.
RESPECT.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Considering all the sexual assault shyt Imma do a Proceed With Caution App where u can text a scenario and get some advice on how to handle it in a socially appropriate way.

"So he called me at 2:00am to come to his crib for a cup of coffee...":jbhmm:

"So my co-worker on anti-depressants just transferred from another company due to an issue with sexual harrassment. But she slipped her number in my pocket and grabbed my crotch. So she wants me right? I'm her boss btw. What could go wrong?":jbhmm:

U Terrible! Lmao!

One kid had a great idea but it was already out there. He was like "I want an app that tells you stuff you can make with only what u got in the fridge."

Kids was clowning him on some "nobody don't wanna know how make shyt with that bakin soda and hope u got in the back of ur fridge!"
(Meanwhile IM CRYING on the inside! Lil man said baking soda and hope!!!!!:russ:)

People was laughing but I'll be DAMNED if there isn't an app for that making some money already.:ohhh:
I just like seeing them put their creativity to work. It's amazing what some have already come up with.:wow:

Ok i'm home.
This is what you are looking at.
I'll ignore the coding side for now and just till you logistics.

"Proceed With Caution App where u can text a scenario and get some advice on how to handle it in a socially "

-You need sms support, root access to whatever the default sms client is on the phone (easier than buliding your own)

-Will the responses be auto-generated or will you have live-response? In the instance of the latter, you will need to set up a response cloud (the word cloud just means outwardly accessible, don't let it scare you. You can do this easily via Azure/AWS/etc

-In order to do that, you will need to purchase a public IP, route it to your sms server (which is what your app will route sms reponses). And that's your cloud right there. You would probably need to ensure that you do not store anything in plain-text because i'm sure there is some legality issue there. In addition to live-reads, you will need to store data so you are looking at database software as WID wont cut it (and doesn't talk to apple devices iirc).

So that's an on-prem sql server or foot the azure/aws (or w/e you prefer) bill and use IAAS. Regardless, find whatever the most cost-efficient way to store your data.

Once messages reach your "cloud", what you do with them is up to you, but i'm assuming the end goal is to provide the curious youngster with a response. To do that, you need to decide what protocol would be best?

Are you going to reply SMS with SMS? I personally would not as I feel that there are some limits on what you can say in a text (character limits, not everyone is using the same phones/os/emojis/etc. But anything else you do would require a frontend (as others have mentioned) and that's more time/cost.

Now notice I haven't said a single word about the actual coding, the difference between the apple platforms and Android, the fact that you will have to continue to update your software or risk being blacklisted when new OS patches come out, and the fact that your app may not be accepted into the Apple eco-system off jump.

I also did not mention anything about the DevOps side. About having an actual devOps team (even if its just 2 guys). Having proper Dev-UAT-Prod.

The reason why I didn't mention these things is because I'm assuming you are not the one building the App. And whoever is actually building the app already knows all of this.

But you would still have to provide the infrastructure on which the code will live. That is not the devs job.

-You have to customize your cloud and foot the Azure/AWS bill
-You have to purchase a public IP from your cloud provider
-You have to purchase a domain and edit the DNS records to point to your public IP
-You have to decide the limitations of SMS vs HTML etc etc
-You have to decide if you are going to hire a team to build your front end, and where it will be stored (on your cloud)
-You have to decide if you are going with a IAAS or building your database

I could go on and on but you get my point.

An app that takes information from a user and gives live information back is an entire engineering process in and of itself that has many moving parts in it.

I remember when I worked for a company that I will not disclose and our CTO came to us and said "Quicken has launched Rocket Mortgage... I need you to build something just as good in 7 months"

That's when I learned that building an app like that.... well.... lets just say we failed :francis:

I'm really just scrathing the surface here with all of this. I could type 5 pages on this and not cover a 10th of what you need to know to in order to get started with this. So I implore you to find people who have done it before and put them together with other people who have done it before.

If you have more in-depth questions, PM me

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
Ok i'm home.

"Proceed With Caution App where u can text a scenario and get some advice on how to handle it in a socially "

-You need sms support, root access to whatever the default sms client is on the phone (easier than buliding your own)

-Will the responses be auto-generated or will you have live-response? In the instance of the latter, you will need to set up a response cloud (the word cloud just means outwardly accessible, don't let it scare you. You can do this easily via Azure/AWS/etc

-In order to do that, you will need to purchase a public IP, route it to your sms server (which is what your app will route sms reponses). And that's your cloud right there. You would probably need to ensure that you do not store anything in plain-text because i'm sure there is some legality issue there. In addition to live-reads, you will need to store data so you are looking at database software as WID wont cut it (and doesn't talk to apple devices iirc).

So that's an on-prem sql server or foot the azure/aws (or w/e you prefer) bill and use IAAS. Regardless, find whatever the most cost-efficient way to store your data.

Once messages reach your "cloud", what you do with them is up to you, but i'm assuming the end goal is to provide the curious youngster with a response. To do that, you need to decide what protocol would be best?

Are you going to reply SMS with SMS? I personally would not as I feel that there are some limits on what you can say in a text (character limits, not everyone is using the same phones/os/emojis/etc. But anything else you do would require a frontend (as others have mentioned) and that's more time/cost.

Now notice I haven't said a single word about the actual coding, the difference between the apple platforms and Android, the fact that you will have to continue to update your software or risk being blacklisted when new OS patches come out, and the fact that your app may not be accepted into the Apple eco-system off jump.

I also did not mention anything about the DevOps side. About having an actual devOps team (even if its just 2 guys). Having proper Dev-UAT-Prod.

The reason why I didn't mention these things is because I'm assuming you are not the one building the App. And whoever is actually building the app already knows all of this.

But you would still have to provide the infrastructure on which the code will live. That is not the devs job.

-You have to purchase a domain and edit the DNS records to point to your public IP
-You have to decide if you are going to hire a team to build your front end, and where it will be stored (on your cloud)

An app that takes information from a user and gives live information back is an entire engineering process in and of itself that has many moving parts in it.

I remember when I worked for a company that I will not disclose and our CTO came to us and said "Quicken has launched Rocket Mortgage... I need you to build something just as good in 7 months"

That's when I learned that building an app like that.... well.... lets just say we failed :francis:

I'm really just scrathing the surface here with all of this. I could type 5 pages on this and not cover a 10th of what you need to know to in order to get started with this. So I implore you to find people who have done it before and put them together with other people who have done it before.

Or you could use a third party api like Twilio or PubNub

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Ok i'm home.

Omg I love you! Information system OVERLOAD!!!!!

lol it's so exciting just to get information about the backend of the process. These types of things are exactly what my students need to learn about b/c those are the barriers that keep little people on the ground from trying to even push thru! Thank you soooo much. It helps to know this stuff b/c I can help them refine their ideas.

Instead of a live response system maybe we can program some answers for something like a social skills scenario wiki or support system....i literally just devoured this post...lmao!

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Congrats, not just talking but putting boots also on the ground and implementing as well :obama:
Nah I've been desk top games development(started with mods to Unreal engine games) then migrated over to web development. I want to get into mobile app dev I have the android SDK / IDE but havn't been motivated to compile anything yet. I'm mostly busy on web dev right now...
Very cool! How's the web development going? We finish this unit up in Feb and we will be ending the club before testing in May with beginning coding. I'm definitely bringing in people far more experienced that me to manage this.