Man, dealing with ADHD sucks.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I've been living with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder since I was 5 years old. I'm 35 now. Let me tell you, it never gets any easier dealing with this and you will never know how many times in my life I wish I was not dealing with this ish and I could just be "normal"...whatever the fukk that is.

Alot of people don't really understand and can't really comprehend what dealing with ADHD is like. When I work, sometimes I get distracted...but more often than not I find myself stumbling over my own thought processes trying to figure out what to do so one task turns into a bunch of obstacles that I make myself stumble over to get to that one task. It affects me at work...and that's what sucks. Especially dealing with people who aren't used to dealing with people with ADHD, and that's besides my own characteristics, personality, work ethic, persona, etc. Then I realized; I'm going to be dealing with this my entire adult life.

I've taken all sorts of prescribed medications for adhd. Ritalin. concertra (stopped taking it cause it made me not want to eat and nauseous), adderall (it's been the most effective for dealing with my ADHD) but for the most part it's been a mind over matter perspective on how to properly deal with ADHD...cause no one is the same and no one deals with it the same. And ADHD has been kind of misinterpreted by and large by society and the media. It's not just being "fidgety" or having a hard time doing work or focusing on things. It's having a million thoughts at once in your head. It's being distracted by things you shouldn't in situations you shouldn't be getting easily distracted where others are depending on you. It's how making a cup of coffee and cleaning up your apartment turns into a 2 hour do anything but that fest...

I've been able to utilize my ADHD to my advantage...mainly in my creative endeavors especially with music. When I'm completely interested in something and like what I'm doing, I'll be fully invested mentally in it. When I'm not, it's 50-50. I guess that's why I always gravitated to social media platforms like tumblr and twitter and been on the internet heavy since I was 14...being able to type things out and compose thoughts and messages becomes a way for me to deal with my scatterbrained mind...my eccentric ass existence. lol.

I just really typed this out just to share with the Coli, maybe there are others dealing with ADD/ADHD/Adult ADD/ADHD that want to contribute to this discussions.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
What’s ADHD

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disorder marked by an ongoing pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development.

A chronic condition including attention difficulty, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness.
Very common
More than 3 million US cases per year
Treatment can help, but this condition can't be cured
Chronic: can last for years or be lifelong
Requires a medical diagnosis
Lab tests or imaging not required

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder - Google Search

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I'm the same. Subs for responses. Have you tried meditation ?
Yea, I've tried meditation. Did yoga for a year when I was doing kickboxing and went to the gym heavily...it's a good way to find some sort of balance and serenity. But personally, I like making music as a way to cope with ADHD. I'll just work on projects and spend that energy putting those tracks out and getting involved in creating cover art and promotion and whatnot. I think it's a good way to expend all that energy IMO.

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
I've been living with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder since I was 5 years old. I'm 35 now. Let me tell you, it never gets any easier dealing with this and you will never know how many times in my life I wish I was not dealing with this ish and I could just be "normal"...whatever the fukk that is.

Alot of people don't really understand and can't really comprehend what dealing with ADHD is like. When I work, sometimes I get distracted...but more often than not I find myself stumbling over my own thought processes trying to figure out what to do so one task turns into a bunch of obstacles that I make myself stumble over to get to that one task. It affects me at work...and that's what sucks. Especially dealing with people who aren't used to dealing with people with ADHD, and that's besides my own characteristics, personality, work ethic, persona, etc. Then I realized; I'm going to be dealing with this my entire adult life.

I've taken all sorts of prescribed medications for adhd. Ritalin. concertra (stopped taking it cause it made me not want to eat and nauseous), adderall (it's been the most effective for dealing with my ADHD) but for the most part it's been a mind over matter perspective on how to properly deal with ADHD...cause no one is the same and no one deals with it the same. And ADHD has been kind of misinterpreted by and large by society and the media. It's not just being "fidgety" or having a hard time doing work or focusing on things. It's having a million thoughts at once in your head. It's being distracted by things you shouldn't in situations you shouldn't be getting easily distracted where others are depending on you. It's how making a cup of coffee and cleaning up your apartment turns into a 2 hour do anything but that fest...

I've been able to utilize my ADHD to my advantage...mainly in my creative endeavors especially with music. When I'm completely interested in something and like what I'm doing, I'll be fully invested mentally in it. When I'm not, it's 50-50. I guess that's why I always gravitated to social media platforms like tumblr and twitter and been on the internet heavy since I was 14...being able to type things out and compose thoughts and messages becomes a way for me to deal with my scatterbrained mind...my eccentric ass existence. lol.

I just really typed this out just to share with the Coli, maybe there are others dealing with ADD/ADHD/Adult ADD/ADHD that want to contribute to this discussions.
not saying nor have i researched this but maybe look into CBD not the street or unregulated stuff but from a medical marijuana doctor. perhaps CBD minus the thc worth a check :yeshrug:

96Blue

Superstar
Daps
I deal with this shyt daily, 24/365, Breh.

I've never been medicated (I don't know why) and shyt is just hard.

For instance, I want to learn how to drive, but I can't because that means I would have to focus on reading the driver's handbook, which I can't because every time I start reading, I either get frustrated or my mind just drifts out in to space.

I hate having to depend on people.

I tell people that don't have ADHD, to be thankful they don't have this, I wouldn't consider it a "gift", either.

:mjcry:

Payroll

Insomnia Addict
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GMB
Use your adhd to do whatever comes easy to u. If that means writing the detritus of ur mind on paper or typing it out, do that. And do it often.

Breh is already a musician...

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Use your adhd to do whatever comes easy to u. If that means writing the detritus of ur mind on paper or typing it out, do that. And do it often.
I still can't believe I graduated college/uni with this shyt with a 3.9 GPA...but I was a super senior :mjlol: it took me a while to get my focus right and stay on point.

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
do you smoke to cool that shyt down or it gets worse ? at least you got a vocation that benefits from your max energy i know it must hade side effects.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I still can't believe I graduated college/uni with this shyt with a 3.9 GPA...but I was a super senior :mjlol: it took me a while to get my focus right and stay on point.

But writing is another thing I enjoy, mainly communication avenues like this one. and my own blog which I've been running for 8 years.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Are you fighting it?
yea, mainly through routine and staying focused on singular tasks and composite goals.

I used to take medication for it when I was in grade school all the way through high school then I gained more information on the side effects of the medications I was taking and became a bit wary of what I was taken. Since then I've been just living my life, but to be honest there are moments out of the blue where my adhd will just come out and surprise me and I'll just end up walking off from what I was doing without a clue why or just doing extra things during work that I don't need to or just not retaining information readily where it takes longer for it to process than it should.

I was thinking about taking adderall again, but I'm enjoying not being medicated on pharmaceuticals of any sort at the moment and plan to keep it that way for the longest.

Daps

But writing is another thing I enjoy, mainly communication avenues like this one. and my own blog which I've been running for 8 years.
i dont get it.. is this some kinda humble brag thread now.. :patrice: