MCU Fan Launches Black Panther II Petition to Recast T'Challa in Honor of Chadwick Boseman

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Given the significance of cultural heritage the character of T'Challa represented in Black Panther, some fans only want the legacy of that portrayal to continue.

Black-Panther-2-Recast-Tchalla-Petition.jpg

Some Marvel fans are petitioning to have Disney recast T'Challa in Black Panther 2 to retain the character's cultural signifigance. Among the massive pool of superheroes within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa stood out both during his first appearance in Captain America: Civil War and then in his fantastic portrayal as the lead role in Black Panther. Chadwick Boseman's terrific acting performance, powered by Ryan Coogler's artistic direction and subtle inclusion of the character in the MCU made the film become a blockbuster hit at the box-office and garner worldwide critical acclaim. The film's representation of the significant history of a previously suppressed community in the West landed Marvel Studios multiple Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture for producer Kevin Feige.

sddefault.jpg

However, the tragic death of Chadwick Boseman last year threw everyone into shock. Chadwick had been battling cancer since 2016 and shot six major films while undergoing treatment. Since he kept his condition hidden from the rest of the world, his untimely passing came as a shock to Marvel Studios and director Ryan Coogler, who had already begun writing Black Panther II with Boseman's T'Challa as the lead.

RELATED: Black Panther II Working Title Leaks, So What Does It Mean?
But, owing to T'Challa's portrayal by Boseman, and the actor's legacy defined by his portrayal of the character, as well as his recent performances, Marvel Studios' head Kevin Feige confirmed during Disney's Investor's Day event that T'Challa won't be recast and that the sequel will dive back into Wakanda through the lens of a new character.

But, some fans have resorted to online petition filing platform Change.org to gain support for recasting T'Challa for Black Panther II. Though it's difficult to fill in Boseman's shoes playing Black Panther, the petition's organizers argue that T'Challa's presence in the film is significant to the cultural heritage Black Panther honored. Justifying their petition, the organizers stated,

"As the first Black superhero in mainstream comics and the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), T'Challa is literally Black history. He was created in 1966, during the Civil Rights era, to be the embodiment of positive Black representation. His character was also instrumental in uplifting Black female characters such as Storm, the Dora Milaje, and his own sister Shuri. There is no more positive form of representation in Black culture than strong Black men and women supporting one another. T'Challa's character was only scratching the surface with his story in the MCU, and there is so much more left to tell."

It's true that Black Panther embodied African culture and its significance, and the film did great justice in representing it to the world through cinematic enchantment. The character has just made debut in the franchise and there are tonnes of stories about T'Challa to tell. Moreover, bringing in a new actor may also be a good call to carry on both Boseman's and T'Challa's legacy on-screen.

For now, there seems to be no plan to recast T'Challa's character as Kevin Feige has made official announcement in this regard. Also, Ryan Coogler has confirmed that he his rewriting Black Panther II without T'Challa, which he deemed is the "most difficult professional task" he had ever had to execute.

Black Panther II will release as part of Phase 4 of Marvel Cinematic Universe, on July 8, 2022. The film's official cast is yet to be announced but Danai Gurira, Letitia Wright, and Florence Kusumba will most probably reprise their respective roles; however there hasn't been any confirmed announcement from the Studio s' end.

Chadwick Boseman has been immortalized by his recent award-winning performance in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, for which he has won a posthumous Golden Globe for Best Actor - Drama, and has been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor. As for Boseman's legacy within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he will once again reprise his role of T'Challa in a voiceover for MCU's first animated anthology series for Disney+, What If!.... This news comes from change.org.

Sign the Petition

Last edited:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I believe they already confirmed they aren't recasting him.

BP2 will have someone else (not sure if it'll be Shuri or not) take up the mantle.

This Disney is trying to use his death as a way to sabotage the Film.

This makes no sense, the film made them tons of money.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It was incredibly dumb fo rthem to kill off the character because of Boseman anyway. Several careers of cacs have been launched reprising roles of staple characters but they want to take the opportunity for young black actors to have that same option? We can have 3 Peter Parkers and 5 Bruce Waynes giving several actors the chance to benefit from the character but kill off T'Challa robbing us of the same ability.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I been saying this, next movie will suffer heavy without T’challa being present. No one wants to see a movie with his sister taking the lead.
They either have to Bring back MBJ and reveal that Killmonger did not die and have him take the mantle or they have to recast.

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
It was incredibly dumb fo rthem to kill off the character because of Boseman anyway. Several careers of cacs have been launched reprising roles of staple characters but they want to take the opportunity for young black actors to have that same option? We can have 3 Peter Parkers and 5 Bruce Waynes giving several actors the chance to benefit from the character but kill off T'Challa robbing us of the same ability.
You said this much better then me. This highlighted point is spot on the reason why the character needs to persist. Imagine having talks on who’s your favorite Black Panther :lupe:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Yall blaming Disney when all you had to do was log onto this very site and see the folks asking for a recast were the minority. shyt was stupid but black twitter was going overboard saying nobody else should carry the role so nikkas ran with it.

I had to list every single actor that played the same Batman for some nikkas here to get off my back.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
This Disney is trying to use his death as a way to sabotage the Film.
Lol why would they sabotage a $1 BILLION ip? :heh:
After the 2020 Disney had they about to sell themselves out worse than a $5 crack whore breh, I’m indifferent though. I would like to see Shuri get a shot, but we know the majority of female driven vehicles don’t go any fkn where :beli:

Why Boseman had to leave us too early :mjcry::mjcry::mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:

That shyt still has your boy hurt, he meant a lot to me seeing our first black lead since Blade TWENTY YEARS prior to BP :to::to::to:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps

Those 3 Peters and 5 Bruces were all different movies in different continuities. I understand what you're saying but you're comparing apples to oranges.

We had multiple Batman’s, Superman’s and James Bond’s but somehow we are only allowed to have one T’Challa. :snoop:

You know what breh. I stand corrected. :hubie:

Last edited:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Yeah I agree

As much as I like Shuri it shouldn’t be her time after one REAL movie with T’challa... especially with the Fantastic Four around the corner.

Its gonna be hard to replace Chad but it should happen and the movie should be rededicated to Chad.

Yahya could do it

Yahya-Abdul-Mateen-II.jpg

Aldis Hodge

MV5BMjA5MjQ1MDk1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzA3MTg1MTI@._V1_.jpg

John David Washington

time100-next-john-david-washington.jpg

Etc.,

It sucks but there are others. Find a guy on Broadway or another English actor. Ultimately, it should be up to Ryan Coogler but I’m not ready for a Shuri/female BP yet. Too many Tchalla stories to tell