Meet Drakes NEW GHOSTWRITER

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Dudes are really being fukking obtuse about what a ghostwriter is in Hip Hop...

In Hip Hop, the rapper is automatically assumed to have written the verses unless stated otherwise...

If there are 5 people credited on a song...and we do not know who the 4th person is and that person is listed 6 times in an album...and he's writing bars...that's a damn ghostwriter...

Producers and artists sampled receive writing credit...rappers these days be having people credited on a damn song

Ghostwriting in Hip Hop is passing off your bars as your own...

This is from a damn ghostwriter...

This Ghostwriter Takes Us Inside Hip-Hop's Secret Society

MTV: Some writers receive writing credit, some do not. It's assumed that being a ghostwriter means that you receive no traditional writing credit. Can you break that down?

Aaron: You're still a ghostwriter if you're getting credit, the difference is if it's public knowledge. When you look at album credits and track one has five or six names on it. The artist, you know his real name, that name may be first. The second name is the producer's name, so that name is there. Let's say there's a Michael Jackson sample, so you might have Michael Jackson's name there. You might have Quincy Jones' name there, because he produced the original Michael Jackson record. So now you got so-and-so rapper, so-and-so producer, M. Jackson from the sample, Q. Jones from the sample and then there's a fifth name and it becomes, "Who's that fifth name?" And that's when people start doing research and trying to figure out who's this fifth name on this record. And that's when you start getting to the bottom of things. You gotta really read the credits. There's a lot of musicians on the record, you may have 10 names, it doesn't mean 10 people wrote the rhymes.

It's that simple and nikkas trying to change the rules...

I wish I could Rep you right now.

This is exactly what I been saying the whole thread. 2 years ago nobody knew who the fukk Q. Miller was. 5 years ago nobody knew who A. Palman was. So for the purposes of clearing up who wrote what, giving them credit is completely meaningless. We just had a thread today about Kendrick Lamar where a guy was grabbing random names off the song credits and claiming they were ghost writers when they were producers, etc. Songs nowadays got 5-10 names on each song, nobody knows who the fukk those people are.

Fred.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
The QM situation existed because 1. Meek called him out for it on Twitter, the average person is not studying liner notes and knowing the game like that and 2. Actual reference tracks with word for word verses leaked. Even if people saw the writing credit, most would have gave Drake the benefit of the doubt and assumed QM wrote a line or two or the hook and nothing more, like how Kanye does it
What full verses did QM write?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Literally nobody cared when it came out she did Pick Up The Phone or any of the other hits. Drake is literally the only topic that really gets people going in 2016.
This isn't even rap, shyts crazy.

Co Writers coming together and putting out anthems to make anthems is what has made loads of classic, timeless music.
The only people that care are thecoli Drake haters bruh

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Literally nobody cared when it came out she did Pick Up The Phone or any of the other hits. Drake is literally the only topic that really gets people going in 2016.
This isn't even rap, shyts crazy.

Co Writers coming together and putting out anthems to make anthems is what has made loads of classic, timeless music.
Nah people cared, but to be fair when it came out that Travis did her part we weren't really surprised because it's Travis lmao. Obviously Drake is a much bigger star then Travis and been around way longer so

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
In 2012 Drake's own camp....his producer 40 specifically....was talking about "if you get help with your bars, you don't need to be in rap". At the same time, Drake was obviously using a writer (Hush) on "Take Care". It doesn't matter if A. Palman was credited because #1 Drake was passing off the work as his own and #2 nobody knew who the fukk A. Palman was.
i must admit i hav wondered about this. i mean, surely he knew. i know 'if your reading' was more boi1da's project so maybe he didnt know to what extent quentin was involved.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i must admit i hav wondered about this. i mean, surely he knew. i know 'if your reading' was more boi1da's project so maybe he didnt know to what extent quentin was involved.

It's possible he had no idea. It's possible he knew all along and didn't think it would ever be found out. Either way it was hilarious to see him post 15-20x in a row on Twitter trying to spin how it's not as bad as people think. That's why I chuckle when people say Drake and his camp don't care.

What's funny is all it would take is one interview for the house of cards to fall down. One person asking why 40 changed up his stance. One person asking why Drake pretended not to use ghostwriters. I'm assuming that's why they've actively avoided interviews since it happened.

Fred.

Bankroll.org

NFT GOD
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
OVO PRE
he got the machine, he on cruise control. Too much at stake, they bringin him creative content. He is not a typical hip hop star, he is a universal superstar...one of the biggest musical acts in the world. He can do whatever the fukk he wants, hes got every resource in the world.

:manny: