Melo speaks on the Triangle

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
So Ninkovich, with a captive audience of Warriors coaches, musters the courage to speak: What are you going to do? He asks Kerr. Will our one-on-one offense end? Will you implement the triangle offense?

"Funny you should mention that," Kerr replies. "We've got some ideas. Here, I'll show you."

And then, as Fraser looks on, Kerr swipes clear the wooden board, casting the handle in the role of a basket. He positions the board's dried cranberries and marcona almonds into two five-on-five teams in a half-court setting, with the cranberries relegated to defense. Suddenly, Almond Stephen Curry, hovering near the top of the key, swings an imaginary ball to Almond Klay Thompson on the wing, then cuts to the near corner while Thompson dumps it down to Almond Andrew Bogut. Thompson and Curry set picks for each other along the perimeter, while Bogut weighs his options: find open almonds or back down his helpless cranberry.

These, Kerr explains, are aspects of the triangle offense, which he played in during the Bulls' 1990s heyday. But then Kerr pulls back, giving the noshes a breather. He notes that the Warriors would be foolish to run the triangle exclusively; it wouldn't best utilize their outside shooters. No, Kerr says. They'll run a hybrid.

In Kerr's mind, it's both simple and radically complex. He envisions elements from Phil Jackson's triangle, which called for passing from all five players. He'd loved how that system used Bulls forwards and centers as passers, perfect for Bogut, David Lee and others. Still, he doesn't want to abandon the high-screen-and-roll actions Curry had used in prior seasons to rain down 3s. Instead of employing a full-on triangle, what Kerr wants is a blended system.

And there is much to cram into the blender.

In the mid-1990s, the Jazz, which his Bulls had twice faced in the Finals, tormented Kerr. Those Jazz would feed the ball to forward Karl Malone in the post before guards John Stockton and Jeff Hornacek would screen for each other, with the open player receiving the ball back from Malone. Those actions are dubbed "split cuts," and Kerr hated guarding them. To him, guarding movement is far more challenging than guarding isolation -- a "nightmare," he calls it -- and he envisions a similar nightmare for defenses guarding Curry and Thompson. It's also a matter of taste. "Iso basketball, where one guy is going one-on-one and everybody is standing around, I don't like that," Kerr says. "I don't like that at all."

The crazy, true story of the birth of the Warriors' historic offense

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
So Ninkovich, with a captive audience of Warriors coaches, musters the courage to speak: What are you going to do? He asks Kerr. Will our one-on-one offense end? Will you implement the triangle offense?

"Funny you should mention that," Kerr replies. "We've got some ideas. Here, I'll show you."

And then, as Fraser looks on, Kerr swipes clear the wooden board, casting the handle in the role of a basket. He positions the board's dried cranberries and marcona almonds into two five-on-five teams in a half-court setting, with the cranberries relegated to defense. Suddenly, Almond Stephen Curry, hovering near the top of the key, swings an imaginary ball to Almond Klay Thompson on the wing, then cuts to the near corner while Thompson dumps it down to Almond Andrew Bogut. Thompson and Curry set picks for each other along the perimeter, while Bogut weighs his options: find open almonds or back down his helpless cranberry.

These, Kerr explains, are aspects of the triangle offense, which he played in during the Bulls' 1990s heyday. But then Kerr pulls back, giving the noshes a breather. He notes that the Warriors would be foolish to run the triangle exclusively; it wouldn't best utilize their outside shooters. No, Kerr says. They'll run a hybrid.

In Kerr's mind, it's both simple and radically complex. He envisions elements from Phil Jackson's triangle, which called for passing from all five players. He'd loved how that system used Bulls forwards and centers as passers, perfect for Bogut, David Lee and others. Still, he doesn't want to abandon the high-screen-and-roll actions Curry had used in prior seasons to rain down 3s. Instead of employing a full-on triangle, what Kerr wants is a blended system.

And there is much to cram into the blender.

In the mid-1990s, the Jazz, which his Bulls had twice faced in the Finals, tormented Kerr. Those Jazz would feed the ball to forward Karl Malone in the post before guards John Stockton and Jeff Hornacek would screen for each other, with the open player receiving the ball back from Malone. Those actions are dubbed "split cuts," and Kerr hated guarding them. To him, guarding movement is far more challenging than guarding isolation -- a "nightmare," he calls it -- and he envisions a similar nightmare for defenses guarding Curry and Thompson. It's also a matter of taste. "Iso basketball, where one guy is going one-on-one and everybody is standing around, I don't like that," Kerr says. "I don't like that at all."

The crazy, true story of the birth of the Warriors' historic offense
It's sad that Luke just isn't able to run a team solo very well and Nash probably won't be able to break these concepts into a team ran by Kyrie AND KD (Im honestly shocked they were able to hit that figure with how much ball stopping occurred with Kevin). I could see Nash weighing D'Antoni's style with how one sided this roster is anyway

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Everything is always evolving in NBA ball.

You can't play pure triangle anymore cause there's too much post play and mid-range in it. The shot efficiency wouldn't be as good. But you can take elements and use them just like elements of other older offenses are modified to the modern game.

Henry Orbit

Wave Gods
Daps
Reppin
The Old North State
his spotify podcast is a pretty solid listen...he seems to have multiple of em based on this post though
The JJ Redikk Podcast is owned by The Ringer. Once his contract was up in August, he decided to go independent and own his podcast, so he couldn't get the name back. That's why it's now The Old Man and the Three

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
The JJ Redikk Podcast is owned by The Ringer. Once his contract was up in August, he decided to go independent and own his podcast, so he couldn't get the name back. That's why it's now The Old Man and the Three
Ringer won’t give him rights to his own name?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
The Triangle has been successful at every level international, collegiate, NBA period.

MJ didn’t win shyt before or after the Triangle and neither did any other star that played under it and he would have never won shyt playing iso ball with Doug Collins.
It only proven to work in the NBA when you have hall of famers running it.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
It only proven to work in the NBA when you have hall of famers running it.
U need good players to succeed common sense.

It’s not gonna work with scrubs. U also need the right players skillwise every Triangle needs had a specific construction roster wise.

A low usage shooting PG (Kerr, Armstrong, Fisher)

A two way three zone level scoring wing (Kobe, Jordan)

Point Forwards (Pippen, McCray, Odom, Kukoc)

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
That is just as much speculation as me saying he would have eventually won a few with Doug. You don’t know that with certainty, even tho the natural progression was trending that way seeing as they were the only team that even won a game yet alone two against the eventual champ in the ‘89 playoff.....but that’s beside the point. If these other coaches and gms in the NBA, I repeat, in the NBA figured that offense to be as magnanimous as you claim it to be, it never would’ve died out coincidentally with the MJ archetype. I mean why would an offense that won 11 championships die out? Makes zero sense.

And I don’t care about the success it has had in these other inferior leagues...it’d be the equivalent of me bringing up Kobe’s state hs championships or MJs collegiate one. That has no bearings on the NBA
It has been successful at every level and it never died out not when I just told you Atlanta literally runs blind pig, Kerr had the inverted Triangle with Bogut in the high post, and even Pop started using it.

MJ’s collegiate championship was in the 4 Corners Offense under Dean Smith. He wasn’t putting up 30 a game in college. Almighty God always needed offensive structure to win.

AJtheOne

Nets/Giants/Yankees
Daps
Reppin
N.E.W. Jerz/#TNT
Try to run the triangle with Hornacek as HC brehs.

Try to run the triangle in the modern NBA brehs.

Try to run the triangle wit Carmelo as your best player brehs.

Only the Knicks brehs:snoop::pachaha: