Meteorologist Fired After Remarks About Nurses On Twitter

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
5cc743cd60b3b.image.jpg

Meteorologist Jeff Matthews, who joined KOAA-TV in 2017, is no longer employed by the station. His departure was confirmed Monday by station marketing director David Reeve.
Although KOAA provided no additional information, Matthewsmove comes after a Twitter controversy that erupted on April 20, when a post he wrote received widespread criticism.
5cc746b193c0b.image.jpg

Matthews hashtagged Washington state senator Maureen Walsh, who had drawn ire from those seeking support for SHB 115, which would provide nurses with uninterrupted meals and rest periods. The Republican senator is against the bill, claiming during an April 16 debate that nurses, "probably play cards for a considerable amount of the day."

Matthews' comments were immediately rebuked with hundreds of comments on Twitter. One individual evenstarted a petition to have Matthews follow a nurse for a standard shift to help show him the challenges of the profession.

KOAA-TV quickly posted the following statement on its Twitter and Facebook pages: "A KOAA employee made a tweet this morning that is not supported by KOAA and its employees. The employee took it upon themselves to post an apology. KOAA is addressing this issue internally and apologizes for this tweet and clearly supports nurses and all they do for our community. We hope this helps clarify our position on the tweet as we address this issue internally and thank you!"

The tweeted apology from Matthews stated, "My apologies to those I have offended regarding nurses. I had to care for mymother for 23 years in & out of hospitals/rehabs. She had many bad experiences, but I apologize for generalizing everyone into that."

The message was met with a mix of compassion and disdain, but the Twitter avalanche didn't relent. The following week Matthews did not appear on camera for KOAA. His Twitter account has since been deleted and he hasn't posted on his Facebook page since June 21.

A veteran meteorologist who had previously worked at stations in Wyoming, Maine, Philadelphia and Wisconsin, Matthews departure leaves KOAA's weather department temporarily short staffed.

Mike Daniels and Sam Schreier are the only on-air forecasters left at the station. Jessica Van Meterleft KOAA in March to take aposition at a station in Ohio. Her replacement, Alex O'Brien, won't begin her tenure at KOAA until June.

KOAA-TV meteorologist departs station after Twitter controversy | Arts & Entertainment | gazette.com

Last edited:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
What is there to hold manufacturers accountable for? Someone explain that me?

And keep guns out of bad guys hands? Theres already a ton of laws out there.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Did the thread title change? I thought this was about Cory Booker's gun law proposals?

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
I mean gotta see both sides

If I had to wash somebody with alcohol pads who knows if I delay that somebody might die then I don't have to do that

Daps
Reppin
Canada
Nurses don’t do shyt and god forbid I’m in a hospital but they better not send me a male nurse :dame:

fukk type of fakkit shyt is that?

Trade gang with another win...can’t get fired from a union as long as you payin your dues :umad:
I'm a male nurse. Nothing gay about it.

As a nurse the highest priority is carrying out doctor orders. A normal patient load is 5 patients per nurse. Patients and their families never stop to consider that. It's not about being lazy it's really how much time do I have and will it get it the way of me carrying out md orders.