Supporter
Daps
10128086a-750x400.jpg

John Barrett/Shutterstock
MICHAEL JACKSON BIOPIC IN WORKS WITH HELP FROM ‘BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY’ DIRECTOR

SOURCESTAFF
NOVEMBER 23, 2019

Words by: Dylan Kemp

It looks like the late King Of Pop will finally get the biopic he deserves.

This past Friday, according to a Deadline report, Bohemian Rhapsody director, Graham King, secured the rights to make a movie about the complicated life of the late Michael Jackson. As well as securing the rights to make the film, King also secured the rights to use all of MJ’s music.

King’s company GK Film also tapped three-time Oscar winner nominee, John Logan, to write the script. He and King previously worked on the Howard Hughes biopic, The Aviator. Currently, no studio is attached to the film.

It has a little over ten years since the world lost Michael Jackson. He died at the age of 50 due to a combination of drugs including propofol and lorazepam. The biopic will not be a “sanitized” take on Jackson’s life, instead, it is going to depict his “entire” life that will detail his rise from child star to music superstardom. However, it is unclear whether the film will address MJ’s sexual abuse allegations, which is estate has vehemently denied.

News of a biopic broke a day after it was confirmed that Tony award-nominated actor, Ephraim Sykes, will portray the King of Pop in an upcoming Broadway play, MJ: The Musical. The show is set for an August 2020 opening.

ephraim-sykes.jpg

Michael Jackson Biopic in Works with Help from 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Director

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It better be a black actor lol. They depicting his whole life so that means before the surgeries

it would be a media shyt show if they tried to go with a white actor. Hell was rightfully raised when that British show tried to pull that shyt with a Cac like three years ago.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
it would be a media shyt show if they tried to go with a white actor. Hell was rightfully raised when that British show tried to pull that shyt with a Cac like three years ago.
That was crazy I remember that. I understand the concern since we found out that Hollywood was trying to cast Julia Roberts as Harriet Tubman smh

WHolla09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The only issue I have with this is that Bohemian Rhapsody wasn’t that accurate. They showed Queen Broken up before Live Aid when they actually weren’t broken up before then. It was a good movie but, if it’s historical, it needs to be at least 95% factual. Plus a Michael Jackson movie directed by a white director is going to be destroyed by the black community if done wrong. Lastly, no matter if you think he did or didn’t do what he was alleged to do, since he was never convicted, I think it would be unfair to do some kind of subliminal messaging that hints that he molested kids. You can talk about about but you shouldn’t pick a side in the matter. Play it straight. No matter what, the audience is going to be divided anyway

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Seems difficult not for the obvious reason that MJ went from black to white continuously. But from the fact that you can't cover such a life in 2 hours.

Hopefully they will focus on interesting things, I've noticed that a lot of biopics seem to try to find some weird angle. Such as someone actually being closet homosexual or had dad issues, or something that nobody really cares about. Like that Edgar Hoover movie, I thought it would be about the feds and crime, but it was about him perhaps being bisexual or something, as if that's worth making a movie about :russell:

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
If the estate signed off on it then they have complete faith in it. And they don’t just sign off on just ANYTHING because I’m pretty sure studios wanted to do a MJ biopic for years.

I do remember LA Reid said a concept he wanted to do for MJ’s biopic was to show him from “Off The Wall” all the way up to the release of “Thriller.” And pretty much base it off Mike’s “Moonwalker” book which I feel would be pretty interesting..

I will say, whoever they get to play MJ WILL win an Oscar..

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
The ONLY redeeming quality of BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY was the concert scenes. Being that, it ranged from awful to a typically mediocre biopic.

This sounds like it will be....awful