Michael Jackson dissed Prince in an interview after a preview screening of Purple Rain

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
Sitting around in his little soft voice

*oh heavens i felt so bad. It was embarrassing. You should have seen him. Making these weird off key noises . i thought he could play guitar. :huhldup: . I didnt know he had a substance abuse problem. Then he almost fell off the stage. :mjlol: I hate to laugh........O, dear, I hope hes alright :lupe: *

tumblr_m7f4ohFNkt1r2gow4o1_500.jpg

:dead: x20

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
no disrespect to mike, because mike is absolutely the GOAT, but this is FAAAAAR from the GOAT performance. especially since he lip synced the first 4 or so minutes. go to 4:06 in the video.....they forgot to turn on his mic for a few seconds during the portion of the performance that he was supposed to be actually singing. :russ:

motown 25 was the GOAT performance. hands down :wow:
Man I wish more footage of Destiny Tour,and Triumph Tour were around...:ohlawd:

Steve Piffler

I got them CERTS
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Mike was a real nikka... there's so many stories of the REAL him... the coli really should have a whole official thread even though he isn't hip hop, he's hip hop

even lisa marie pressley used to say he was different at home... like completely different. the voice was faked and the way he acted all playful... he'd get home and drop all that bullshyt and drink and chill and party

Michael-Jackson-520x428.jpg
:sas2:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
The Kang and the Purp Gawd :lawd:
Love em both. I think you can appreciate Mike at any age but you have to be more mature to understand Prince but when you're mature enough to understand Prince you can understand what Mike was really talking about.
Either way you can't lose :banderas:

Steve Piffler

I got them CERTS
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Time for an ode to the god MJ. Prince got nothing on him. Mike's talent and live performances were too good. Miss him

:blessed:

:ohlawd::wow:

i remember watching this as a kid. i was like :krs::mj: in the middle of the floor. a lot of youngins don't know that this is where michael jackson debuted the moonwalk. he had never done it before motown 25. this is the absolute GOAT performance.....:wow:

c2daj

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Providence, RI
Its really a disservice to both artists to compare them, they were both in their own lane, outside of eccentricity and popularity plus the fact that they were both hot at the same time they made different music. You can like them both without shytting on the other, or you can like one or the other based on personal preference, but as far as the comparisons go here's my thoughts:

-Singing: MJ obviously has the more unique voice where Prince relies more on vocal stylings (crooning, falsettos, amplification, baritones). Both typically sing above their natural register but theirs styles are almost completely different. As far as their influence goes, many artists try to replicate MJs inflections but he's got a one of a kind voice. As big as MJ was/is, in actuality, more artists have had success replicating Prince's vocal styles, particularly in the Neo-Soul realm (Bilal, D'Angelo, Musiq Soulchild, etc.)

-Dancing: So there's really no comparison here, MJ pretty much revolutionized contemporary dance from both an artistic standpoint and with his showmanship. Everyone replicates MJs moves, albeit MJ was totally influenced by Fosse, Jackie Wilson, B-Boy Culture and James Brown among others. I will give Prince this though, his moves were a lot more natural and a result of him interpreting the emotion in the song. MJ makes you wanna get in the middle of the dancefloor and put on a show, Prince makes you wanna grab your chick and rhythmically intertwine bodies.

-Songwriting: Contrary to popular belief, MJ is just as much of an influential songwriter as Prince. The big difference is Prince pretty much wrote ALL of his songs where MJ was a brand with a team. Another difference in why perhaps MJ is overlooked as a songwriter is that the reason you like the songs MJ wrote more than likely had less to do with the lyric and more with the inflection where Prince captivated you with the things he would say and the risks he took.

-Musical Acumen: Prince definitely gets the nod as a multi-instrumentalist and what he did for the game from the perspective of syncopation, use of synthesizers and oh my God it's so commonplace now we don't even realize that nobody was doing what he was doing with the snare before him and it's a travesty! I will say this however, and maybe because we weren't really let behind closed doors to watch MJ work in the studio, but he's just as much a 'producer' as Prince. If Dre is producer, MJ is a producer! If Quincy Jones is a producer, MJ is a producer! I can't find the videos, but I know Quincy Jones has some footage and I've heard outtakes as well, but my life changed when I heard MJ beat box the initial foundation for "Wanna Be Starting Something". Same thing for "Another Part of Me" and the first draft of "Working Day And Night" with him and Janet and other folks using random household objects/percussion ala Jimmy Fallon & The Roots to map that song out. Dude would walk into the studio and physically dance or actually beat box (ala Timbaland)the structure of a song for his musicians to translate into notation :wtf:

This shyt right here

:wow::whew::mindblown:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
“Though he didn't seem to appreciate Prince's talent, Michael realized that singing a duet with him could generate interest not only in the title track, ‘Bad’, but in the entire album. His concept for himself and Prince was actually ingenious.
The plan was that a month before the single release of ‘Bad’ was to be issued, Frank Dileo would plant stories in the tabloid press suggesting that Michael and Prince were bitter rivals. Michael's representatives would criticize Prince, and then Prince's friends, a few of whom would be let in on the hoax, would condemn Michael. To then confound the public, Frank would then tell a Rolling Stone reporter that the rivalry did not exist and that his client was disgusted with the rumours since he and Prince were great friends, ‘and who believes the tabloids, anyway?’
In a month, rumours about him and Prince would be flying – are they friends or aren't they? – with the general consensus, hopefully, being that they were not. At the height of such controversy, the ‘Bad’ single and video would be released. In the video, as Michael planned it, he and Prince would square off against one another, taking turns vocalizing and dancing[…]”

Excerpt From: J. Randy Taraborrelli. “Michael Jackson: The Magic, The Madness, The Whole Story, 1958-2009.” Grand Central Publishing, 2009-08-05. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: Michael Jackson: The Magic, The Madness, The Whole Story, 1958-2009 by J. Randy Taraborrelli on iBooks