Michael Jordan Shut Down Idris Elba's Request To Play Him Biopic; Once again, “No N….”

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
I thought space jam was his biopic

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Elba told the NBA icon that he wants that starring role and later explained why it was important to him.

Could we receive a Michael Jordan-approved biopic one day? Most likely...and when it goes down, Idris Elba wants that starring role as the basketball legend. Biopics were already all the rage but in recent years, we're seeing more of these films on big and small screens. Elba has been hailed as one of the leading forces in Hollywood as studios and festivals around the world clamor for his talents, but one of the roles the actor wants the most is that of Michael Jordan.

Elba recently chopped it up with Complex and revealed his story behind asking Jordan face-to-face if he could portray him in a biopic. Things didn't go the way he wanted.

“So Jordan had these wicked getaways in the Bahamas, you know what I'm saying? He would invite a bunch of people out. I think me and Gabrielle Union went out, we was promoting a movie, I think it might have been Daddy’s Little Girls and you know, I was gassed to be at Jordan Weekend.”

He admitted to meeting Jordan "once or twice," but it was "just to say hello." Elba added, "I even said to him one time, ‘I want to play you.’ He was like, ’Hm, I’m not ready yet.'... I was dead serious."

:mjpls:

“In my head, playing Jordan wouldn’t be about playing the basketball player, it was about the businessman. He is a very astute businessman, really smart. And his work as a philanthropist is unspoken, but people don’t understand the work. He cares, he does a lot of work. So that’s where I was hinting at. I wanna play Jordan, I’m doing that. He was like, ‘I’m not ready for that story yet.'”

No one is quite sure when Jordan will be ready, but it will be interesting to see who snags the role in the end. Do you think Elba would be a good pick?

I wonder if he thinks Post Malone would play the role better

:mjpls:

Is this a real post?

You do realize the whole :mjpls: is a joke right? Like it’s one running gag from the SOHH days.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As great as MJ was, a biopic about him is going to suck.
Because there's no way Jordan will sign off on any deep dive on the controversial or darker part of his life. Even The Last Dance was carefully manicured to portray MJ in the best light. He had final sign-off on it.

And a movie would be the same thing.

In my mind, it's the same reason I didn't watch the Queen movie "Bohemian Rhapsody". Sacha Baron Cohen wanted to play Freddie Mercury and cover all the scandalous parts of Mercury's life. The drug use, the homosexuality, all of it. But Brian May and others wouldn't have it. So Cohen let it go and what resulted was a mediocre movie with Queen's hit songs. Boring.

A Michael Jordan movie would almost certainly be the same way. It would lack the depth and grit that make stories interesting.

You know which athlete should have a biopic or a limited series? Barry Bonds. Because that guy's life has been amazing. And I'd be very curious to learn more about his childhood and youth before he got into the Major Leagues.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
This was 2007… 4 years after MJ retired. Why the hell would he even be thinking of a biopic anytime soon? Context is key people.
50 Cent had a biopic while at his peak. Michael Jackson and Tyson had ones in the 90s. You don't need to be 70 to be interested in or co-sign a movie on your life.

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
50 Cent had a biopic while at his peak. Michael Jackson and Tyson had ones in the 90s. You don't need to be 70 to be interested in or co-sign a movie on your life.
50 Cent’s movie was fictional, loosely based on his background and it was trash. They got some Irish guy to direct it which was terrible.

Mike Tyson has had many documentaries but not an actually biographical film like Ray or Ali… so I don’t know what you’re talking about there.

Michael Jackson’s bipoic had Flex Washington to play him. The results?

ldpxj1ynnqn61.jpg

2200 Jackson street was good but it focused on the whole Jackson family, not just him.

So now would be a perfect time for a Jordan biopic, especially after the Last Dance.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I highly doubt the Tyson one was authorized. No way in hell the MJ one was, don't even think they had the music rights for that bullshyt.

There was already an authorized MJ bio, starring the guy from the Shield that ended up killing his wife.

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
@Remote exactly. That’s why most celebrities… well legends, don’t sign off on a film until they’re damn near dead. If they really want the scandalous shyt to be documented, it’s better you’re not here to see the repercussions.

Jordan will not tarnish his decades long manufactured brand… not whilst he’s still breathing. We want that uncut raw Colombian, not the Sanitized stepped on shyt.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Is this a real post?

You do realize the whole :mjpls: is a joke right? Like it’s one running gag from the SOHH days.

Yes the article is real. He did sneaker shopping with Complex and talked about it. Lol I’m just egging on the gag with the Post Malone comment.