Michel Mayor, Nobel Winner in Physics: "Humans will not migrate to exoplanets"

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
He just won a Nobel Prize in physics for his work in discovering exoplanets breh :what: But commenting on his field of work for which he just received a prize is him saying "look at me look at me"? :mjtf:

He doesnt specialize in the type of physics required for interstellar travel to be the definitive opinion on traversing space nor did he win a Nobel in that sub-field of physics. :yeshrug:

Like Sterling said ... To solve interstellar travel you need theoretical physicists and engineers not astrologists.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
He isn't wrong, the distances in space are too great to deal with current tech. Next 100 - 200 years we should be able to get it or Aliens get us....

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
From "cannot" to "not probable" is an improvement I suppose :ehh: .

Even the idiot that wrote the article admits that what he's writing is nothing close to a practical or likely scenario.

But he's writing a stupid ass article so he can't say what I say

Which is: this is not a real thing.

I say impossible.

Your source says highly extremely improbable

I can't understand your feeling of optimism

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
He's right, the closest exoplanet is 25 trillion miles away, even hypothetically if you were able to build a space craft that goes the 4x the speed of light to that planet, it would take more than a lifetime to reach it.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
Even the idiot that wrote the article admits that what he's writing is nothing close to a practical or likely scenario.

But he's writing a stupid ass article so he can't say what I say

Which is: this is not a real thing.

I say impossible.

Your source says highly extremely improbable

I can't understand your feeling of optimism

Impossible and improbable are two very different things.

If one is seen as equivalent to the other then logic falls apart, true ends up being equivalent to false and anything can be shown to be true.

You label it as "optimism" and fail to see the line of reasoning because you do not understand that impossible is a very different beast to improbable.

Abraxus

All Star
Daps
The earth can never die it will just find a way to heal itself of the cancer and be reborn.

I wish that were true but this planet will die as soon as the star ⭐️ that sustains it cools off. By that time I know we will have taken to the stars. He may be basing this off his assumption that humans will never achieve a propulsion system fast enough to cover vast distances or traverse other galaxies. You never know. Also, humans may experience another evolutionary period.

Abraxus

All Star
Daps
He doesnt specialize in the type of physics required for interstellar travel to be the definitive opinion on traversing space nor did he win a Nobel in that sub-field of physics. :yeshrug:

Right. I’d never say it isn’t impossible. We split the atom, put men on the moon and shrank a transceiver down to pocket size that we do most of our daily communication to include banking on. It’s commonly referred to as a cell phone

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
Posters stating he's wrong in saying we will never ever develop the technology to reach exoplanets I believe are overlooking the context in which he said it. He immediately referenced the problems going on with our planet such as climate change which should be your clue to what he means. He means we won't be able to travel to and inhabit another planet before the negative consequences of not dealing with climate change start to increase significantly.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Impossible and improbable are two very different things.

If one is seen as equivalent to the other then logic falls apart, true ends up being equivalent to false and anything can be shown to be true.

You label it as "optimism" and fail to see the line of reasoning because you do not understand that impossible is a very different beast to improbable.

I say impossible, period.

The author is the one that won't admit that he's writing sci fi so he's couching it in being unlikely

What I am saying to you is: no one, not even the guy who wrote the article, thinks this is a real thing.

It can't happen. If it can, tell me how. And I will tell you how you're wrong.

So continue to split hairs cause that's all you have. When you're ready to put forth some actual ideas on how it can work, I will be happy to rip them apart