Michel Mayor, Nobel Winner in Physics: "Humans will not migrate to exoplanets"

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
https://phys.org/news/2019-10-humans-migrate-planets-nobel-winner.html

Humans will never migrate to a planet outside of Earth's solar system because it would take far too long to get there, Swiss Nobel laureate Michel Mayor said Wednesday.

Mayor and his colleague Didier Queloz were on Tuesday awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics for their research refining techniques to detect so-called exoplanets.

"If we are talking about exoplanets, things should be clear: we will not migrate there," Mayor told AFP near Madrid on the sidelines of a conference when asked about the possibility of humans moving to other planets.

"These planets are much, much too far away. Even in the very optimistic case of a livable planet that is not too far, say a few dozen light years, which is not a lot, it's in the neighbourhood, the time to go there is considerable," he added.

"We are talking about hundreds of millions of days using the means we have available today. We must take care of our planet, it is very beautiful and still absolutely liveable."

The 77-year-old said he felt the need to "kill all the statements that say 'OK, we will go to a liveable planet if one day life is not possible on earth'."

"It's completely crazy," he added.

Using custom-made instruments at their observatory in southern France, Mayor and Queloz in October 1995 discovered what had previously only existed in the realm of science fiction—a planet outside Earth's solar system.

Mayor was a professor at Geneva University and Queloz was his doctorate student, when they made the discovery which started a revolution in astronomy. Since then over 4,000 exoplanets have been found in our home galaxy.

"It was a very old question which was debated by philosophers: are there other worlds in the Universe?," Mayor said.

"We look for planets which are the closest (to us), which could resemble Earth. Together with my colleague we started this search for planets, we showed it was possible to study them."

Mayor said it was up to the "next generation" to answer the question of whether there is life on other planets.

"We don't know! The only way to do it is to develop techniques that would allow us to detect life at a distance," he said.

• Dap
Reactions: .r.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
First they have to establish if the Exiplanet has water and then if so, even bacteria as life.

My bet is no.
We will probably have means to create water out of several elements. Same for bacteria. We have already made considerable progress in creation of artificial proteins.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Look at how deep your programming is

The same people that taught this stuff can come out and say its bullshyt and you STILL dont believe them smh
What do you think he said exactly?

Give me the retard flat earthed analysis of a very basic and logical statement.

This should be good :pachaha:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
This has always been the case. At least in my eyes.

What he said is absolutely correct. Y'all be thinking about warp drives and faster than light travel but those things are only in movies.

You cannot move a physical object even close to the speed of light. The best case scenario would see Humans on a planetoid of some sort that will travel for tens of thousands of years to another star.

When they say they found a planet around another star, they are not able to see it physically. They measure an almost imperceptible wobble of the star and assume that planets pulling on it as they orbit are the cause.

None of this is ground breaking stuff, you just have to

read

and find out the details of these news items they print

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
He said you're never going to "outer space" and its retarded to think that you could:mjgrin:

His personal reasonings are irrelevant
I knew you wouldn't fail friend.

When comprehending a basic sentence is a problem then I can gather how you can't make sense of much else in the world. :dead:

That's definitely NOT what he said. :mjlol:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
He said you're never going to "outer space" and its retarded to think that you could:mjgrin:

His personal reasonings are irrelevant
giphy.webp

You're talking about Michel Mayor?

That's absolutely not what he said. He said we won't ever reach exoplanets. Not that "we're never going to "outer space"".

That's you right now:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
giphy.webp

That's absolutely not what he said. He said we won't ever reach exoplanets. Not that "we're never going to "outer space"" .

That's you right now:

@xCivicx is a special case of self imposed stupidity. The bolded was pretty clear. Now is someone can lie about such little details then what are they honest about? This is why you can't argue with anyone who is intellectual dishonest. Their pride gets in the way of facts.

xCivicx

Archduke of Audits
Daps
Reppin
Atl
giphy.webp

That's absolutely not what he said. He said we won't ever reach exoplanets. Not that "we're never going to "outer space"".

That's you right now:

@xCivicx is a special case of self imposed stupidity. The bolded was pretty clear. Now is someone can lie about such little details then what are they honest about? This is why you can't argue with anyone who is intellectual dishonest. Their pride gets in the way of facts.
So yall think yall are going to space???

Lemme know when your shuttle takes off so i can tune in:mjlol:

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
The guy is basically right. I hate the term “light year”, because it implies a distance closer than what reality it. That’s 6 trillion miles. It’s a distance our brains can’t even comprehend and you are talking about traveling several light years to even get to another star. fukking Alpha Centauri, the nearest star to us is 25 trillion miles away.

To even get to that star in our lifetime, let alone several lifetimes we would need to go through a wormhole or warp the fabric of spacetime. It’s impossible for any object with mass to go the speed of light or anywhere near it, so that’s out the question.