Moving to New Orleans, tips and advice

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
Wsup Boot fam, I'm originally from Dade County, I'm 19, and I may be transferring from community college to Xavier, so I need some tips and help from the fam.

1. How is the cost of living out there? (I'm only going to be at XU for 2-3 years, but if I love the city I may stay after I graduate so I'd wanna know the prices. For perspective, the average rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in Miami that's not in the hood is $1400-$1500 a month)

2. How bad is the crime?

3. How well are black people doing out there? Like how ATL/DC are portrayed as the cities for successful black people

4. What's the entrepreneurial scene like out there, especially for black people?

5. How pretty and thick are the women?:shaq: I heard that Louisiana women still have that Southern hospitality vibe and know how to treat their man

6. If I buy a house one day, what would be a nice spot to move to?

7. What's the public transit like? How bad is traffic?

8. What is there to do if you're not a partying type of person? I'd imagine that eating on Bourbon Street gets boring after a while.

9. My sister went to New Orleans 3 years ago for a debate at Tulane and said that there was a real "uneasy" vibe in the air and she couldn't wait to get out of there. Is there something yall could tell me about this?

10. Do nikkas really be shooting up heroin out there like it's all good?

11. Where the good barbers at?

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
TLDR Version : Yeah it's fine hoes but everything else sucks.

Not from the city but my best description of life in Louisiana Some people doing good , some people doing bad, and Alot of people just trying to make it. Yeah Crime rate is high in the whole state ,

Alot of guns, but If you not a hang around type of dude the most you'll probably run into is a shooting at a party/event or maybe some wrong place wrong time shyt like getting robbed.

Not really much opportunity or jobs out here. It's gonna be BUKU racist white folks in any lil white suburb, neighborhood, country town, rural area, etc you find yourself in .

The women here are definitely the biggest plus. Baton Rouge has a nice lil college scene so it's always hoes out there Doing something and Lafayette another lil cool duck off. Alot of bad lil red females :noah:

As for the drugs we definitely have a problem. White, black, old, young it don't matter they all on something. From Beer and Weed to Meth, Pills, Weed , Coke , Heroin everything. Ive seen that Heroin use has been up in the bigger cities like NO and BR and out In the country we killing ourselves with Mojo aka legal marijuana/k2

And my advice as far as owning property or a home here is to try to find some on the outskirts of a major city like a suburb or some rural land or in a neighboring town. That way you get to experience the benefits of the slow country living and being away from most of the drama that's going down In The actual city but still to enjoy the amenities like the food, nightlife , culture ,etc

Last edited:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
you should be more concerned about your schooling rather than how girls look in NOLA. Everything else is whatever. Truth is, living in NOLA has become ridiculously expensive for what you get in return. Crime is all around but I feel like in the city you might catch a random one if you don't stay alert (or sometimes it don't matter, maybe it was your turn). I don't party but I work in music and entertainment so either way I'm usually around parties and people. If anything, living in NOLA has taught me you ain't even got to get up all in that or look for any of that, I've had plenty of moments where I just chill in my house. New Orleans is a really beautiful place just to walk around in and not have any specific destination. Years ago, I use to get blazed during the summer and go out around dusk high as fukk to people watch when I didn't have a gig.

You can and should be an entrepreneur anywhere, you have to be more specific about what lane you're trying to get in for more details. as far as black entrepreneurs, I feel the city is becoming more white washed than anything but it's a unique case because there's a few different migration elements occurring in the city due to increased rents, low wages in service industries (which is the main industry in NOLA). Like, I pay 1400$ for a two bedroom in the marigny. Great location, right at the edge of the quarter. What's been happening though is people from LA, SF, NY, etc have been buying properties and renting them out at increased high rates or changing them into Airbnb's because they know they can make their mortgage in under a week versus having a renter. Really shytty element.

Actually I'm moving by the end of this year to a new spot because I found out my landlord, a guy from SF (didn't originally own our house but recently brought it from some NOLA natives about a year ago) wants to raise our rent. I'm not sinking an extra hundreds in his pocket just simply because he has new expenses. nikkas already be cutting corners about things as is. I'm barely home as it is (I'm a touring musician). I even hate that concept, you just decide to up the rent because you've got new bills? The fukk that got to do with me? Ain't no new features being added to my damn house. Just goes to show you how and what is occurring in the renters market right now. Plus I'm pretty sure he just wants to Airbnb out our house so he's coming with some long winded, round about way to get what he wants.

Traffic gets bad on the GNO bridge for rush hour, one I10 and out in Metairie during rush hour but normally it's not that bad when driving around NOLA. The thing you're gonna deal with really is the street conditions. the roads are REALLY fukked up. 3rd world status on some blocks.

Why would you worry about heroin consumption? Do you do heroin?

O.iatlhawksfan

Biggest homer on the Coli
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Where in Nola are yu living? The East is a dump and very dangerous, the French quarter has a lot of luxury but it's very expensive and also dangerous, the West Bank is prolly the best place to live affordable, and with it being Jefferson parish and not Orleans the crime is SIGNIFICANTLY better. The only thing is they have a lot of rednecks there but it's like that in other areas too.

The roads are horrible

revan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
you should be more concerned about your schooling rather than how girls look in NOLA. Everything else is whatever. Truth is, living in NOLA has become ridiculously expensive for what you get in return. Crime is all around but I feel like in the city you might catch a random one if you don't stay alert (or sometimes it don't matter, maybe it was your turn). I don't party but I work in music and entertainment so either way I'm usually around parties and people. If anything, living in NOLA has taught me you ain't even got to get up all in that or look for any of that, I've had plenty of moments where I just chill in my house. New Orleans is a really beautiful place just to walk around in and not have any specific destination. Years ago, I use to get blazed during the summer and go out around dusk high as fukk to people watch when I didn't have a gig.

You can and should be an entrepreneur anywhere, you have to be more specific about what lane you're trying to get in for more details. as far as black entrepreneurs, I feel the city is becoming more white washed than anything but it's a unique case because there's a few different migration elements occurring in the city due to increased rents, low wages in service industries (which is the main industry in NOLA). Like, I pay 1400$ for a two bedroom in the marigny. Great location, right at the edge of the quarter. What's been happening though is people from LA, SF, NY, etc have been buying properties and renting them out at increased high rates or changing them into Airbnb's because they know they can make their mortgage in under a week versus having a renter. Really shytty element.

Actually I'm moving by the end of this year to a new spot because I found out my landlord, a guy from SF (didn't originally own our house but recently brought it from some NOLA natives about a year ago) wants to raise our rent. I'm not sinking an extra hundreds in his pocket just simply because he has new expenses. nikkas already be cutting corners about things as is. I'm barely home as it is (I'm a touring musician). I even hate that concept, you just decide to up the rent because you've got new bills? The fukk that got to do with me? Ain't no new features being added to my damn house. Just goes to show you how and what is occurring in the renters market right now. Plus I'm pretty sure he just wants to Airbnb out our house so he's coming with some long winded, round about way to get what he wants.

Traffic gets bad on the GNO bridge for rush hour, one I10 and out in Metairie during rush hour but normally it's not that bad when driving around NOLA. The thing you're gonna deal with really is the street conditions. the roads are REALLY fukked up. 3rd world status on some blocks.

Why would you worry about heroin consumption? Do you do heroin?

Another Marigny breh?

:gladbron:

Great post also.

Op, do you plan to live around Xavier? $1400 would probably net you something decent.

Crime is bad, though I nor my people have been victims recently, there's places that you don't have business going and you should stay away. I like to party and be out but NO is small and you have to watch yourself.

There's lots of black business here, I can't really compare it to DC/ATL because I don't know enough about either place.

I love NO women. Bourgeoisie and ratchet all mixed together. Watch girls from the West Bank though.

Best spot to buy a crib would heavily depend on what you like to do, are you raising a family can you deal with noise, tourists etc. I'm partial to the marigny.

I don't use public transportation but my friends use the street car and it seems to work well enough.

fukk Bourbon Street. Frenchman is more chill with less chance of being shot. Dragons Den on Friday nights
:banderas:

If you're not with the nightlife at all there's always festivals, music, and great restaurants. NO has culture period.

NO has a very easy vibe to me so I can't speak to your sisters intuitions.

I still get my haircut in BR, so can't help you with barbers.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I’m thinking about making this move to go down there and teach.

What are some affordable areas in or outside the city? How is Kenner?

I’m used to some ratchet shyt but I’m not trying to be around anyplace where I hear gunshots every night.

O.iatlhawksfan

Biggest homer on the Coli
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
I’m thinking about making this move to go down there and teach.

What are some affordable areas in or outside the city? How is Kenner?

I’m used to some ratchet shyt but I’m not trying to be around anyplace where I hear gunshots every night.
Kenner is nice and quiet but it’s far from the city bout 30 mins

The West Bank is where I’m from it’s affordable and close to the city if that’s wat you looking for. I live 10 min from downtown and I have a one bed room my rent 600.