MUST WATCH for any Job Seeker Trying to Understand the Dysfunctionality of the Current Job Market

How Long You Been Looking to Upgrade? (Actively)

• Less than 6 Months

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • More than 6 Months

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 1+ Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 2 Years :damn:

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:flabbynsick:

This is another reminder of the uphill battle black men face in this job market. Smh man.

Last edited:

Sonny Bonds

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Are expectations unrealistic if there are millions of other people with jobs?

The "Tell me about yourself" question is open ended, but you get to control the narrative and highlights of it. In fact, I prefer it to the "Tell me about a time when..." type of questions.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
The "Tell me about yourself" question is open ended, but you get to control the narrative and highlights of it.
That's the problem for the interviewee. It's too vague and is largely a bullshyt thing that alot of HR/ Corporate types think is "professional". It's basically like time wasting jargon. Almost for the HR people to be like "see we're doing stuff". When you send in a resume and they basically didn't look at the shyt, but then they tell you to talk about yourself. Its like " well you got the resume, right? :what:"

But as far as the video, dude has broken down alot of my thoughts on job hunts. Looking for a better job to raise capital to get better shyt for my photography business (for those that are going to say start your own busi...). But yeah, the one thing he's dead accurate on is manager not knowing what the hell actually happens at their company. Many of these people are just dude bro white males who are part of the good ole boys. There are so many times where I've had to teach my manager how to do their jobs or explain to them who does what. They be walking around like "who's supposed to do xyz"...I'm lookin "you keep getting all these promotions and accolades but have no clue what is going on as far as operations go:dahell:"

Just nice to know I'm not the only person who notices the bullshyt in hiring. And this brother did it without even mentioning race. Like the process is bullshyt before it even gets to that. :snoop:

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Its like " well you got the resume, right? :what:"

I just repeat what's on the resume - Just the highlights - And it forces them to read it to get the details. Then I just sit back with a shyt eating grin while they admit they didn't fukking read my resume in full (then how or why the fukk did they call me in?)

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
Shawn James admittedly hasn't had a job in over a decade I believe. I highly doubt it's that difficult to land a gig in New York. He tends to makes excuses and put a lot of his shortcomings on other people. I used to be subscribed to him but his content seems repetitive. How you writing books on black women but haven't been on a date in years? That's a tad bit ridiculous to me.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Shawn James admittedly hasn't had a job in over a decade I believe. I highly doubt it's that difficult to land a gig in New York. He tends to makes excuses and put a lot of his shortcomings on other people. I used to be subscribed to him but his content seems repetitive. How you writing books on black women but haven't been on a date in years? That's a tad bit ridiculous to me.

The fact remains there are a lot of brothers in his situation. He is disadvantaged from a looks standpoint. He is articulate and intelligent and that's two strikes against a Black Man when dating (and seeking lower level employment).

They look at his face and expect him to sound like a dullard idiot and then face shock when he speaks.

It's all too much for a dumb Arab or White employer to handle they just want a dumb Black worker who is not going to complain or speak up about anything. He is probably more intelligent than the managers so he intimidates them and lacks the finesse to dumb himself down occasionally when needed.

I get your point but his struggle is valid, I've seen it with my own two eyes. Yes you can "pick yourself up by your boostraps" more easily in NYC but it DEPENDS on the type of individual you are and most importantly HOW YOU ARE PERCEIVED AND PRESENT YOURSELF.

If this Brother did some push-ups, got a crisp low cut caesar fade or shaved his head bald and rocked some newer fashion he could probably land a Sales gig at a couple of places. He's not "with it" and some of the jobs he could have gotten they probably passed him over for being "too serious".

He is an earnest diligent type brother and that is old school NY and not appreciated anymore. Now we have to conform to transplant "Chiq" NYC standards which these Ohio VP CACs have come in and invaded and perpetrated on our great city.

He would do well in a state where these transplants came from. Where people appreciate earnest and hard working dispositions.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fact remains there are a lot of brothers in his situation. He is disadvantaged from a looks standpoint. He is articulate and intelligent and that's two strikes against a Black Man when dating (and seeking lower level employment).

They look at his face and expect him to sound like a dullard idiot and then face shock when he speaks.

It's all too much for a dumb Arab or White employer to handle they just want a dumb Black worker who is not going to complain or speak up about anything. He is probably more intelligent than the managers so he intimidates them and lacks the finesse to dumb himself down occasionally when needed.

I get your point but his struggle is valid, I've seen it with my own two eyes. Yes you can "pick yourself up by your boostraps" more easily in NYC but it DEPENDS on the type of individual you are and most importantly HOW YOU ARE PERCEIVED AND PRESENT YOURSELF.

If this Brother did some push-ups, got a crisp low cut caesar fade or shaved his head bald and rocked some newer fashion he could probably land a Sales gig at a couple of places. He's not "with it" and some of the jobs he could have gotten they probably passed him over for being "too serious".

He is an earnest diligent type brother and that is old school NY and not appreciated anymore. Now we have to conform to transplant "Chiq" NYC standards which these Ohio VP CACs have come in and invaded and perpetrated on our great city.

He would do well in a state where these transplants came from. Where people appreciate earnest and hard working dispositions.

What in the world are you talking about :mjlol:

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's all I got from this video. Not saying it's not harder for us out there but this type of mentality holds a lot if us back

Last edited:

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol didn't the op mock me for saying, build your own shyt... grassroots .....of courseu will struggle....you're trying to get into institutions that were set up for rich white guys...the goal is to keep u out. They're only a few opportunities and no way they're giving them to BM?

It's not about knowledge or talent, it's about whoever's in power looking out for himself, his friends and his family. I feel sorry for guyslike the guy in the video, because he did the right things, but in America ...the right thing don't matter....this is a system ran on nepotism

u can't win by playing the game by the book, u gotta adapt in a unique type of way....find a niche . At my Bs job, the BM r all the minimum wage workers and put in the most work....these dudes been there the longest and actually trained the white managers that got the promotion over them...and these nikkas don't even understand why...whatever
But my point is, it's not about skill and networking....it's about u being black....

If the game was squarely on talent and skill...shot I probably could've gotten a great job years ago but they don't want my black ass around, and to their credit, I wouldnt fot in and they know it and I know it, so force it and be miserable?

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Lol didn't the op mock me for saying, build your own shyt... grassroots .....of course no will struggle....you're trying to get into institutions that were set up for rich white guys...the goal is to keep u out. They're only a few opportunities and no way they're giving them to BM?

It's not about knowledge or talent, it's about whoever's in power looking out for himself, his friends and his family. I feel sorry for guys know like the guy in the video, because he did the right things, but in America ...the right thing don't matter....this is a system ran on nepotism

u can't win by playing the game by the book, u gotta adapt in a unique type of way....find a niche . At my B's job, the BM r all the minimum wage workers and put in the most work....these dudes been there the longest and actually trained the white managers that got the promotion over them...and these nikkas don't even understand why...whatever
Bit my point is, it's not about skill and networking....it's about u being black....

If the game was squarely on talent and skill...shot I probably could've gotten a great job years ago but they don't want my black ass around, and to their credit, I would've for in and they know it and I know it, so force it and be miserable?

You don't seem to realize Tech is the great equalizer.

You can keep complaining or better your understanding of technology. My Uncle in IT is a Sr. Database Admin making $150k+ and they will never lay him off. He understands too much.

Even more than Habib and Patel.