Nets fined $100K for violating player participation policy

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The NBA announced Thursday afternoon that it fined the Brooklyn Nets $100,000 for violating the league's player participation policy by sitting several players for last week's home loss to the Milwaukee Bucks.

After the league investigated the incident -- including having an independent physician review the matter -- it was determined that four Nets rotation players who didn't play in that game "could have played under the medical standard in the Player Participation Policy, which was adopted prior to the season," the NBA said in a statement announcing the fine.

Brooklyn sat four players -- Spencer Dinwiddie (rest), Dorian Finney-Smith (left knee soreness), Cam Johnson (right knee sprain/injury maintenance) and Nic Claxton(left ankle sprain/injury maintenance) -- for the game, ultimately a 144-122 loss to the Bucks on the second night of a back-to-back after beating the Detroit Pistons the night before. Also, Nets coach Jacque Vaughn didn't play Mikal Bridges, Cam Thomas or Royce O'Neale after the first quarter.

"I've got to think short term and long term and make executive decisions for the betterment of the group," Vaughn told reporters before the game in explaining the decision to sit so many players. "So that's where we're at tonight."

Brooklyn, which had won two games in a row entering that Bucks game, has lost five straight since that defeat, including being swept on a back-to-back in New Orleans and Houston on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

The Nets return home Friday for the first time since that Bucks game to face the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Daps
NBA scheduling is broken with the back to backs

I assume the penalties get worse for repeat offenders because $100k is a low cost to protect your assets (players) keeping them out of a pointless game where they might be hurt
It isn’t. Back to backs have always been apart of the game.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
I actually disagree with this punishment even if I don't agree with what the Nets did.

The Nets sat, and let's make sure we have these names right:

Nic Claxton

Dorian Finney-Smith

Cam Johnson

Spencer Dinwiddie

and then curbed Mikal Bridges time.

Why is that punishable? This is a league where teams roll 8 deep. This is a league that made a concession to punish stars and made a designation for who they were. Now we're lumping Spencer Dinwiddie with them? When a player doesn't play due to coach's decision, it really doesn't matter if they're healthy. Timmy came all the way to Brooklyn to see Dorian Finney-Smith and now he can't?

I told y'all this was gonna happen.

Remember when y'all anti-load managers were like "well if they sit how bout they sit at home instead of on the road?" Check,

Remember when y'all anti-load managers were like "well at least play them a little bit so Timmy can see them?" Check,

Remember when y'all anti-load managers were like "well at least play the stars?" Giannis and Dame played, which is really what anyone there wanted anyway.

And it looks 10x funnier that they got their rest, came out ready to rock and lost to the Wizards the next game. Only reason why anyone was mad was because anyone who had the Bucks at -7.5 or whatever the spread was originally kicked their feet up. It's just about the gambling.

The moral of the story is, fans will not compromise an inch off load management, no matter what fans say.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Good, should hit them with more.
I am all for the fans, that work hard to pay to see stars play not being finessed by 8, 9, 10 figure people. These type of conservatory/disempowerment rules are not needed when players were standup guys, or in other sports where they still are. But unfortunately too many people make this necessary.

I know a lot of people on here work exclusively for the players benefits and bank accounts like they had management deals with them :umad:

PatCake

Alkali Nonmetals
Daps
Reppin
Black Jesus; Stolen Tales
League should just add an extra week to the schedule and stop with the back to back's already. It's clear that teams end up having to prioritizing one winnable game over another, rendering a whole other game as useless and almost unwatchable.

If the point of the sport is to have competetive and entertaining games why would you not want your players fully healthy and ready to go? Case in point, playoff games (which almost never have back to back's)

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Good, should hit them with more.
I am all for the fans, that work hard to pay to see stars play not being finessed by 8, 9, 10 figure people. These type of conservatory/disempowerment rules are not needed when players were standup guys, or in other sports where they still are. But unfortunately too many people make this necessary.

I know a lot of people on here work exclusively for the players benefits and bank accounts like they had management deals with them :umad:
All the stars played.