Networking tips please

Balla

Superstar
Daps
All I hear about is networking to get jobs out of college.

So what did y’all do to get your network game up?

Did y’all join frats, organizations, etc.?

What did you do and recommend someone to do to build a good network while in college?

How do you build this great network so you can find a job easily?

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
-Get business cards from others; limiting how many of yours you hand out. You can then initiate contact.

-When you receive the business card, write something on the back as a reminder of what was spoken about.

-Stay abreast of current events in order to appear well-rounded.

-Affiliate yourself with groups (i.e. community, professional, etc) to expand your horizons.

-Expand your network by telling friends/ family/ confidantes (people you trust) your intentions and aspirations.

-Invest in a nice suit or two; get as many shirts/ tie combos that you can afford. Keep your shoes right. PERCEPTION/ APPEARANCE means a lot.

-Understand that many people are full of shyt. Don't be disappointed by these folks.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
-Get business cards from others; limiting how many of yours you hand out. You can then initiate contact.

-When you receive the business card, write something on the back as a reminder of what was spoken about.

-Stay abreast of current events in order to appear well-rounded.

-Affiliate yourself with groups (i.e. community, professional, etc) to expand your horizons.

-Expand your network by telling friends/ family/ confidantes (people you trust) your intentions and aspirations.

-Invest in a nice suit or two; get as many shirts/ tie combos that you can afford. Keep your shoes right. PERCEPTION/ APPEARANCE means a lot.

-Understand that many people are full of shyt. Don't be disappointed by these folks.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here.

OP: If you are looking for your first job, join groups that discuss and/or promote that occupation. Contribute to conversations, ask questions, meet people.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I feel like different industries have different methods of networking. Like, I’d never tell a musician to join LinkedIn. Or even those music frats...

Romell

Superstar
Daps
OP: If you are looking for your first job, join groups that discuss and/or promote that occupation. Contribute to conversations, ask questions, meet people.
Exactly.
I.e. if you're looking for a job in tech, join tech orgs etc. Get to know your professors beyond just attending class. Drop in on them during office hours and build a rapport. I had a few professors that were ex-microsoft employees so I got to know them through tutoring and was able to use them as references. Get to know people in your major courses. I had a few that landed internships and jobs before I did that vouched for me during interviews. Stuff like that. Don't keep your head down in college. Meet and hang with people of shared interests outside of studying/classes.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.

What did you do and recommend someone to do to build a good network while in college?

For starters if you are in college make sure to head to the department of what you are majoring to see if there any events or volunteering opportunities.

Keep in tune with professors. Also do your own research on events that cater to your major.

Join groups or alumni’s as well.

Get a LinkedIn and follow people associated with your path and don’t be shy to start a convo.

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps

Do an internship, fraternity if that's your thing or join student organizations/sports leagues. the key to networking and talking to people, in general, is to find something in common to talk about, listen more than you talk and take a genuine interest in what people are saying. Treat everyone like you know them already and you are already friends. never be negative, judgemental, talk shyt on anyone or mention politics. I always make sure I have gum or mints too. Study psycholgy it will teach you how to read people and situations.

Amused Mastery

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Find some networking events on meetup or other sites, even better if they're related to your career field. Present yourself well and talk to some sharp folks. You'll learn more and have a bigger network of people to draw from.

Also as a general tip it's good to have the fundamentals of communication. I highly recommend you read "how to win friends and influence people".

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I’m also an older student (24/25) if that matters. So I’m more focused on paying my bills and have more stuff I have to focus on than the average (18-22) year old college student.

Plus I don’t know how well I’ll fit in with frats and clubs being that much older than them.

How do internships usually go? I work so idk if they’ll be in the way of my working hours. I don’t think leaving my job for an internship is the best idea.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
How do internships usually go? I work so idk if they’ll be in the way of my working hours. I don’t think leaving my job for an internship is the best idea.

An internship is arguably one of the best ways to get experience in your field and get your field into the door at a prospective company. Unless your job is a "career" type role, then I'd say try and bounce even if for a summer to secure a proper internship (they pay as well).

An internship is essentially you getting a taste of your intended industry at a specific company while getting real word experience. I had 4 internships before I graduated college and it helped me not only gain working experience, but gave me insight to industries (drones, energy, private equity finance) I'd probably never have encountered during my regular college career.

Now, about networking and tips on this, I really think you just have to be genuine and you have to add value to your network. I think people see networking as going to a conference and handing out business cards. I see networking as really just building AND maintaining a network wherever you go. Building is relatively easy, maintaining is the hard part. You have to keep in touch with people or else the connections get weak and eventually go cold.

I think you could start by joining groups and clubs that you're interested in, doesn't even have to be career related to be honest. For me, I play soccer consistently (although I've taken a bit of a break). With the dudes I play with, I'm relatively genuine and have been able to forge some good bonds as a result.

I think the 3 top tips to successfully network are:

1. Be genuine. Don't force connections that aren't there. Having the right network will many times be better than having a large network (not all the time, but many times) e.g. if you're an entrepreneur it's better to know 5 multi-million financiers than to know 500 9-5 workers. However, if you want to run for grassroots politics, then it's better to know 500 9-5 workers.

2. Keep in regular contact. Networking is like working out, the longer you don't do it, the harder it is to get back into things. It's always good to keep people updated on what's going on and find out where there at. It can even be as simple as shooting someone an article you read and asking how are things. Find the right cadence for members in your network. Maybe reach out once a month or once a quarter. Find what works.

3. Follow through and follow up. You gotta be proactive and see things through. A lot of people will say, I'll reach out but never do. Be known as someone who will go the the full length.

Daps
aside from the obvious, a nice bar usually works well for me. i've networked 2 people in the last two dinners. and another in a lyft :yeshrug:

basically, you should also network outside your field because you never know what type of person you'll meet or what other opportunity it can turn into. have good convo and follow up right away even if it's just to say something like "nice to meet you talk to you soon"