Networking tips please

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Be friends with the people who are going somewhere. You know, the ones headed to law school or something

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Make actual friends with people in your field and at your job.

Networking events are dumb. Real networks are built through relationships and interactions not handing out business cards.

Also make friends with the popular folks. I have a huge network via just knowing people who know more people than me.

Also if I am dating someone or just friends I make it a point to make an acquaintance with their friends and get all on their social media.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
It all depends on your personality type. I don't have the personality to network with people. I hate inquiring about people's live. The smartest person I know and most successful person I know we just started talking after a game of 21 basketball. We started working at the same company so we both found a common ground and here we are. He opened my eyes to a lot of things and how to move and shyt.

Although I have trouble networking if someone starts the process, I don't mind it.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Showing up and opening your mouth to speak.

tater

Superstar
Daps
Not true that networking events are useless. I've met contacts there for jobs that were helpful. Go to industry specific ones or any really, if you're in tech everybody needs IT people. You can build relationships with people that hand out business cards, ask them to coffee/lunch nearby the work place. There's really no one answer, but there's some good advice here.

Spectre

Ace Killer OG
Daps
Networking is literally everything.
Networking events are BS

Most applicants for the best jobs are already super qualified. So it really comes down to who you know.

Interview trick: know everyone by the first name especially HR. Call ahead to know who's who. Then throughout the interview refer to first names. "Yeah Ann said you guys have...oh yeah I think Rob told me the other day...."
Make interviewer feel like you've always been around. This is just a formality.

Networking is everything. Some of the cushiest jobs had strict screening but if u know the right person it's all good by God's grace.

Figure out who's who at work and talk with them. Find out what y'all have in common and play it up. The bosses are bosses because of people skills. Everyone knows how to do the job eventually. But who can lead or at least make the team better?