AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Will shutting down the prison really make a difference? Correct me if I'm wrong the issue wasn't the prison itself but the corrupt correctional officers who were not only abusive with their power but also turning a blind eye toward inmate conflicts. If De Blasio really want to make a impact and change the culture how about implementing a policy that would severely punish C.O for misuse of their power. I'm talking about serving some time with the inmates that they are suppose to be watching.

Shutting down the prison is cool...but that's not the only problem...the problem is the hellish conditions that prison guards and COs create

So I agree...

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
This more like a real estate deal.

It also begs the question...where are they going to have a facilit(ies) that can hold up to 10k people. What gentrifying neighborhood is going to be ok with a few thousand inmates next to their hipster coffeeshop and 2,100 a month rent apartment... :ohhh:.

It begs the question...............are they about to employ technology into this....like ankle bracelets or.....don't sleep...rfid chips in the skin...or temporary rfid tatoos to somehow "incarcerate/outcarcerate" people? Don't sleep....because to close down a jail of this size is a huge effort, but to have zero substantial plan to take on the responsibility to house future inmstes should have you scratching your head like a motherfuuckeer.

concise

Veteran
Daps
This more like a real estate deal.

It also begs the question...where are they going to have a facilit(ies) that can hold up to 10k people. What gentrifying neighborhood is going to be ok with a few thousand inmates next to their hipster coffeeshop and 2,100 a month rent apartment... :ohhh:.

It begs the question...............are they about to employ technology into this....like ankle bracelets or.....don't sleep...rfid chips in the skin...or temporary rfid tatoos to somehow "incarcerate/outcarcerate" people? Don't sleep....because to close down a jail of this size is a huge effort, but to have zero substantial plan to take on the responsibility to house future inmstes should have you scratching your head like a motherfuuckeer.

No, they have already announced the plan is to have several smaller jails in each borough because they believe smaller jails wouldn't have the atmosphere in the massive Rikers.

Curtis Sc00n said this would be announced on Twitter a while ago. Said Jay Z was possibly being used for the documentary to get Rikers Island closed like he was for the Barclays Center. They've been talking about looking to develop Rikers Island into a community for a few years now. Said they were gonna use Kalief Browder's story to get it pushed more.

:jbhmm: Jigga being used as a pawn again. I can see it.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Once its closed I'd love for them to tear the buildings down and make it one big ass park, with maybe some restaurants scatted on the island. would be a GOAT spot to watch the planes from LGA takeoff & land, but it will probably be luxury Condos :francis: then again the Airplane noise would probably kill the idea of putting condos there :lolbron:

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
These cacs even gentrifying jails :russ:

I'm surprised this post was so slept on. You're exactly right.. this is all about selling/renting the land for apartments complexes and condos.

I wonder what the CO's have to say about this. You have guys making 100k a year plus on Rykers.

hatealot

Banned
Daps
And where the fukk are the inmate population of the 4 boroughs going to go? But this isn't going to be complete closer as in shut down but just like how they close public schools they are going to shut down and overhaul the entire correction system of Rikers and possibily open up under a new name. If they do indeed shutdown Rikers Island then I'm very interested in where they going to house these inmates, that is alot of real estate they sitting on that wont be used.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
it took them this long to find out a jail housing over 10K degenerates was sitting on prime real estate? :russ: