Official Notting Hill Carnival 2022 Thread

invalid

Banned
Daps
Caribbrehs, what's the history of Caribbean Carnivals that they're held at different points throughout the year instead of at the beginning of Lent?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Caribbrehs, what's the history of Caribbean Carnivals that they're held at different points throughout the year instead of at the beginning of Lent?

Cold weather.

Modern day carnivals in USA, UK, Canada grew out of celebrations started by Trini immigrants. Timed with when it was celebrated in their nation, but indoors because of the difference in climate.

Eventually they decided to move the festivities to dates in their adopted countries when the weather was suitable to do the full costume, pageantry, reveling.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
This is stupid, play the music and show love across the Diaspora.

We're all we got, we're all connected by the continent.

I think most of the comments are haters.

I don't know the particulars with Carnival events but I could see some real concern, if, for instance, events like this are used to showcase new talent within the soca, reggae, dancehall genres and how it can be perceived that Afrobeat artist are taking up space. On the flip side, I know there has been many Afrobeat festivals where Jamaican artist have been included.

It would be the same if there was, for instance, an underground hip hop festival and Afrobeat artist were included. That may strike the ire of some people.

However, Jamaicans and West Africans are in such close proximity to each other in London, sharing many cultural affinities, it's hard for me to see how Afrobeat artist wouldn't be included, considering the rise in the genres popularity.